SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 4: UND vs. Stony Brook Seawolves

homer

The offense isn't good; there's no question about that. The way UND will score offensively this season was on display yesterday. Run the football and occasionally take a shot down field. Either you bust a big run or you hit on the deep shot. The deep shot worked yesterday, but it hasn't worked otherwise. UND didn't take any more deep play action shots because it never needed to. That shows how the offense went conservative. Now, until the offensive line can consistently run the ball, that's how's it going to be.

What do you propose? Throw the ball 50 times?

If the offense doesn't have the ability it doesn't have the ability.

Certainly not - there is a number between 7 and 50 that might work better, however.  Take out the one 68 yard pass play and we gained a total of 77 yards in 42 plays.  I am suggesting that we look at other things besides what we did the last two games.  If that makes me a video game armchair quarterback, so be it.  

Shouldn't we really be talking about how awesome Stony Brooks defense was as they held UND to five first downs and gave up less yards than how awesome UNDs defense was?!

Perhaps their coach could look at that as a moral victory. They still gave up six points.

Certainly not - there is a number between 7 and 50 that might work better, however. Take out the one 68 yard pass play and we gained a total of 77 yards in 42 plays. I am suggesting that we look at other things besides what we did the last two games. If that makes me a video game armchair quarterback, so be it.

You are spot on. 42 plays averaging less than 2 yards per should suggest what Rudolph is calling isn't working. If part of that play calling is his lack of trust in Joe to do anything...switch QBs. UND will not win a BSC game with the offense they are running regardless of how much this D has improved.

• Upvote 1

You are spot on. 42 plays averaging less than 2 yards per should suggest what Rudolph is calling isn't working. If part of that play calling is his lack of trust in Joe to do anything...switch QBs. UND will not win a BSC game with the offense they are running regardless of how much this D has improved.

Northern Colorado...Weber State....Portland State...

All those teams are beatable and have lesser defenses than Stony Brook.

Perhaps be cognisant of the fact UND won and the defense played very well?

UND's play calling isn't the issue if the players aren't executing. Albeit the jury is still out on Rudolph, I think it's way too early to call for differences in play-calling. I mean, this team is 2-2 after 4 games; that's better than last season.

Perhaps be cognoscente of the fact UND won and the defense played very well?

UND's play calling isn't the issue if the players aren't executing. Albeit the jury is still out on Rudolph, I think it's way too early to call for differences in play-calling. I mean, this team is 2-2 after 4 games; that's better than last season.

I don't think the players are capable of executing the current game plan, especially the offensive line.  That may be the worst part of this whole team.  I don't think Bubba and Rudolph should totally abandon the running game, but a few wrinkles here and there might keep defenses more honest and give us at least a chance of scoring on two to three drives per game.  With our defense flying around creating havoc, that might be worth a couple of more wins.

• Upvote 1

One play stands out to me as a microcosm of the offensive woes:

It was second half and UND had the ball. It was second and seven or eight. It was supposed to be a simple play off right tackle. The snap went and the right guard felt a breeze; it was his man blowing by into the UND backfield and blowing up Norberg just as he got the handoff from Mollberg. Welcome to third and eleven.

The replay showed the RG knew he'd been "pwned" by his reaction. It is a classic "only ten guys executed" scenario. He should've felt pretty "warm" in the film room today sitting with his peers and trying to explain what happened.

Until all eleven are executing correctly on every play, and especially the front five (or six), it doesn't matter what the play call is.

(I've intentionally not said the jersey number.)

If Bubba didn't trust Joe he wouldn't be in there. I spoke with Bubba after the game. He knows our issues on both sides of the ball. The problem isn't Joe. The play selection is all part of game planning based on looking at your opponents game film and evaluation of your own personnel. Joe can run veer, read option play action and can make all the throws. This is a team game and we are struggling to piece together the puzzle offensively. Lots of our blog experts thought changing RBs was going to make a big difference and it hasn't solved the running game. We need to protect the passer whomever that is and open some holes for the the RB. Until the line blocks, it isn't going to get better.

Perhaps be cognisant of the fact UND won and the defense played very well?

I found a pitcher of green Kool-aid in the fridge this afternoon... ;)

The Sioux could possibly be 4 - 4 at the end of October. After Montana State and Montana, the Sioux face Southern Utah and Portland State. The defense could be stubborn enough to keep UND in those two games if only the offense can find some mojo. Also, if yesterday's defense shows up the next two games, there will not be a repeat of the blowouts of the last 2 years.

Took another sip of the Kool-aid and Weber is after Eastern Washington, then Northern Arizona and Northern Colorado close out the year. If Rudolph can come up with blocking schemes that this O-Line can execute and efficient play calling, the Sioux's season is not lost. The Kool-aid tastes good. This defense can give the offense an opportunity to win 4 or even 5 games this year.

I know some of you have strong opinions the other way about UND this year, but Coach Schweigert and Coach Schmidt have put together a solid defense that will not be blown out by SUU, PSU, WSU, UNC, and even this year's edition of NAU, who are still on UND's schedule this season. UND may not win pretty, but they could add a couple more. There is still hope.

If Bubba didn't trust Joe he wouldn't be in there. I spoke with Bubba after the game. He knows our issues on both sides of the ball. The problem isn't Joe. The play selection is all part of game planning based on looking at your opponents game film and evaluation of your own personnel. Joe can run veer, read option play action and can make all the throws. This is a team game and we are struggling to piece together the puzzle offensively. Lots of our blog experts thought changing RBs was going to make a big difference and it hasn't solved the running game. We need to protect the passer whomever that is and open some holes for the the RB. Until the line blocks, it isn't going to get better.

"The problem isn't Joe"...to a UND insider and real FB mind like youself he isn't but to the the knuckle dragging beer bonging arm chair Madden playing coach like Irish, Joe at least seems to be part of the problem. The O line is brutal...I agree but there have been many opportunities for Joe to make plays but................

My point is IF the offense continues to be inept at moving the ball they won't beat WSU, NC or PSU. Basically 75 yards minus 1 big play and 8 punts which were mostly 3 and outs isn't going to win a BSC game even with a D that is better and pretty good.

"The problem isn't Joe"...to a UND insider and real FB mind like youself he isn't but to the the knuckle dragging beer bonging arm chair Madden playing coach like Irish, Joe at least seems to be part of the problem. The O line is brutal...I agree but there have been many opportunities for Joe to make plays but................

My point is IF the offense continues to be inept at moving the ball they won't beat WSU, NC or PSU. Basically 75 yards minus 1 big play and 8 punts which were mostly 3 and outs isn't going to win a BSC game even with a D that is better and pretty good.

Give Stony Brook some credit, people. Big Sky teams this, Big Sky teams that. Yes the Big Sky Conference has some d*mn good teams, but there are also some average teams, as I mentioned in my last post. This season, UND will play teams with a lesser defense than Stony Brook and some of those games are in the Alerus Center. Don't underestimate the home field thing; the defense has been feeding off the energy. Bubba has the team playing for the fans - this is why I encourage everyone to put their money where their mouth is and come out and support the team.

As for X's and O's, the playing calling hasn't been abysmal, but the offensive line has been close to that. Need much better play there, if Coach Knauf's demeanor on Saturday was any indication.

UND defense was so fun to watch.  The defense is really developing confidence. Reminds me of the bend but don't break defense from the pass.  Taking the air out of the football was not pretty but it was effective for that game.    I'm so looking forward to going to Bozeman and watching this defense play the Bobcats.  The Bobcats will test our speed.  This defense will keep this game lower scoring then the Bobcats are use to and that just may make them uncomfortable.  We will need to win the turnover battle to have any chance.  The OL need A lot  of work.  Milberg can't turn it over.  He didn't against SB.  Oh yes the stat sheet had him down for an interception but that was on the receiver.   Gotta love this Bubba Ball.  More than one way to win a game.

I was at the game - supporting the team. I'm not one to read a few sentences in the paper and start arm chair coaching or dissing players and coaches. Injuries have weakened what is a young, develooping offense. We all know the O line and D line need to develop and they will. The games that are considered winnable will need to be won by defense and special teams - both doable. We very well might get destroyed by the top tier Big Sky teams this year - doesn't mean these kids or coaching staff aren't trying or that they deserve to be beat down by their own fans. Leave the negativism to the trolls - lord knows they will be climbing over the wall in the next few weeks as display their inferiority complex daily. 

Thought for the day - I love when trolls come here and tell us we are arrogant. My definitions:
Pride - when you post about your team on your own fan site.

Arrogance - when you post about your team on another team's fan site.

Give Stony Brook some credit, people. Big Sky teams this, Big Sky teams that. Yes the Big Sky Conference has some d*mn good teams, but there are also some average teams, as I mentioned in my last post. This season, UND will play teams with a lesser defense than Stony Brook and some of those games are in the Alerus Center. Don't underestimate the home field thing; the defense has been feeding off the energy. Bubba has the team playing for the fans - this is why I encourage everyone to put their money where their mouth is and come out and support the team.

As for X's and O's, the playing calling hasn't been abysmal, but the offensive line has been close to that. Need much better play there, if Coach Knauf's demeanor on Saturday was any indication.

Are you serious?  I read the same BS around here after beating Robert Morris.  Yes, that Robert Morris which was subsequently dispatched 50-3 by Lafayette, and 31-7 to Dayton.

Where does anyone think Robert Morris or Stony Brook would finish in this conference?  Please...at the bottom with UNC.

I've already stated earlier, I can't say enough good things about the turnaround of this defense but that statement is relative to the level of competition they are playing.

I would put the over/under for scoring defense next week at 30pts.  For EWU and UM I would put that at 40.  For the middle tier of the conference I would say 20.  Does that mean the D is crap again?  No.  It just means they aren't playing RM or SB anymore.

• Upvote 1

Are you serious? I read the same BS around here after beating Robert Morris. Yes, that Robert Morris which was subsequently dispatched 50-3 by Lafayette, and 31-7 to Dayton.

Where does anyone think Robert Morris or Stony Brook would finish in this conference? Please...at the bottom with UNC.

I've already stated earlier, I can't say enough good things about the turnaround of this defense but that statement is relative to the level of competition they are playing.

I would put the over/under for scoring defense next week at 30pts. For EWU and UM I would put that at 40. For the middle tier of the conference I would say 20. Does that mean the D is crap again? No. It just means they aren't playing RM or SB anymore.

Stony Brook has been in every game they've played thus far, including a 3-point loss at FBS UConn, so yes, I'm serious. Stony Brook has a much better defense than Robert Morris.

After 4 games, UND has won the games they were expected to win by the "optimistic" fans, so please stop all the b*tching.

• Upvote 2

I'm with Ira.   As I posted earlier in this thread I don't think Joe played poorly.   He had 5 incompletions and if we catch a couple of balls we could have and we get a PI that wasn't called he is all of a sudden 4 for 6 and everybody is happy.  He had a bad throw where he got hit as he released the ball.   There was one poor throw in Q2 but that was the only one I would put on him.