SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 4: UND vs. Stony Brook Seawolves

homer

Are you serious?  I read the same BS around here after beating Robert Morris.  Yes, that Robert Morris which was subsequently dispatched 50-3 by Lafayette, and 31-7 to Dayton.

Where does anyone think Robert Morris or Stony Brook would finish in this conference?  Please...at the bottom with UNC.

I've already stated earlier, I can't say enough good things about the turnaround of this defense but that statement is relative to the level of competition they are playing.

I would put the over/under for scoring defense next week at 30pts.  For EWU and UM I would put that at 40.  For the middle tier of the conference I would say 20.  Does that mean the D is crap again?  No.  It just means they aren't playing RM or SB anymore.

After reading all of the posts, there are two things that are spot on. First, the offensive line is mediocre at best. It would be nice to see them fire off of the ball and get a good push. Second, Rudolph's play calling is sickening. UND HAD 6 YARDS OF TOTAL OFFENSE IN THE SECOND HALF!!!! I know many on this board defend him because the team "lacks talent". I don't buy that at all. If that is the case, then quit trying to run right up the gut on first and second down! How about a sweep play? How about play action on FIRST down? There is zero creativity. The defense played great and it is nice to see the aggressiveness. Rich and Ratelle played extremely well. So what will Rudolph do against a talented team? I predict Montana State, Montana, and Eastern Washington put 50 points on the board. Most likely fits right into Rudolph's plan because at that point, running the ball will be his best option to end the game sooner.

Stony Brook has been in every game they've played thus far, including a 3-point loss at FBS UConn, so yes, I'm serious. Stony Brook has a much better defense than Robert Morris.

After 4 games, UND has won the games they were expected to win by the "optimistic" fans, so please stop all the b*tching.

Oh, they've "been in" every game they've played and they have a better D than RM?  Ok, my bad then.

This team is exactly where I thought they'd be as well, but putting lipstick on the pigs that are RM (I know you didn't think much of RM so I'm not addressing you here) and SB doesn't do anyone any favors.

Ultimately it doesn't matter-we are in conference now, we'll see how good the D is.

Oh, they've "been in" every game they've played and they have a better D than RM?  Ok, my bad then.

This team is exactly where I thought they'd be as well, but putting lipstick on the pigs that are RM and SB doesn't do anyone any favors.

Not trying to rationalize but people do need to realize that Stony Brooks defense will be probably the second best defense UND faces all year.  Montana appears to have a pretty good one.  That is not my opinion, that is from a staff member.  

Once again, not saying UND won't have trouble with other defenses this year because they are going to have trouble 8 more times.  Just stating how good Stony Brooks' defense is.  The problem is their offense might be as bad as our's.

Not trying to rationalize but people do need to realize that Stony Brooks defense will be probably the second best defense UND faces all year.  Montana appears to have a pretty good one.  That is not my opinion, that is from a staff member.  

Once again, not saying UND won't have trouble with other defenses this year because they are going to have trouble 8 more times.  Just stating how good Stony Brooks' defense is.  The problem is their offense might be as bad as our's.

If that is the case, then I'll look forward to posting a mea culpa after watching how they finish the year.  They will have plenty of chances to prove that.

If that is the case, then I'll look forward to posting a mea culpa after watching how they finish the year.  They will have plenty of chances to prove that.

Yep, they have 8 more CAA games left and you will be waiting with bated breath to try and disparage their results.  

Yep, they have 8 more CAA games left and you will be waiting with bated breath to try and disparage their results.  

C'mon man, don't be like that.

Here's the top ten in defense right now:

1 Stony Brook
2 Tennessee St.
3 Charleston So.
4 North Dakota St
5 Sacred Heart
6 Furman
7 Alcorn
8 Jackson St.
9 Bethune-Cookman
10 Lafayette

I think we've both been following these things long enough to know that 80% of the teams on that list are pretenders.  At this point I suspect SB is a lot less like ndsu and a lot more like the rest, but as you say they have 8 more CAA games to prove something.

"The problem isn't Joe"...to a UND insider and real FB mind like youself he isn't but to the the knuckle dragging beer bonging arm chair Madden playing coach like Irish, Joe at least seems to be part of the problem. The O line is brutal...I agree but there have been many opportunities for Joe to make plays but................

My point is IF the offense continues to be inept at moving the ball they won't beat WSU, NC or PSU. Basically 75 yards minus 1 big play and 8 punts which were mostly 3 and outs isn't going to win a BSC game even with a D that is better and pretty good.

1_70052-z.jpg

• Upvote 2

Everyone is really good at coming up with issues. Heck, I bet most on this board complain that their paycheck could be a couple cents greater too. Point is, everything is usually not as bad or as good as it seems. Does UND have to continue improving, particularly on offense? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean the TEAM hasn't been improving after 4 games. 

Like I said before, I am not yet sold on Rudolph. His coaching background is not convincing; however, the sample size (4 games) for this season is not yet large enough either. After 4 games, UND is 2-2 (0.500). Let's see how everything is going after playing a variety of Big Sky teams; the first 4 BSC games are against two top tier teams (UM and MSU), one average team (SUU), and one below average team (PSU). Let's see how those work out before getting too crazy. Yes, the offense needs to improve, but considering the TEAM WON and ball control/running the clock was certainly apart of the strategy vs. Stony Brook, Rudolph and the offense deserve more time before getting heavy criticism. 

• Upvote 1

1_70052-z.jpg

Although the trophy is nice, I have to confess I might not be the Madden genius I thought I was because everyone else in my section at the game was able to call just about every play of ours and predict the outcome within a yard.  I'm not sure when suggesting on this board that an offense that is on it's way to 6 - count em - 6 yards in the second half should try ..........something else.... (maybe at about the 3 total yard point)  became such a bad thing.  I sense a stubborness on offense that worries me.  

I can't help but think the people saying we were running out the clock once we got the lead are looking thru rose colored glasses.    what about before the 92 yard interception for a touchdown?   Or the week before at MSU?   Or the 7 1/2 quarters we went between touchdowns?   I don't think anyone is arguing with the idea to stay conservative once 10 points ahead.   We are running into a gauntlet of high powered offenses in the coming weeks.   "3 yards and a 4th down punt" is not quite how the saying goes, is it?

If we are admitting we don't have the players to run the said plays we are running....I've got a wild idea...... mix in some other plays that might work, or at the very least attempt to keep the defense honest.

I agree with trying to keep the defense honest but throwing more incompletions will not keep the defense honest.  In fact it would likely just show the other team they can fully ignore the passing game because I may be the worst I have ever witnessed to this point. 

The big issue right now is that UND isn't talented on offense but also isn't executing what is essentially a very simple college offense.  What is a coach supposed to do?  Run the ball, go 3 and out and occasionally get a first down or start passing more and give the opposing offense more time to attack the defense that to this point is the only bright spot so far this season.  It is more about philosophy and they are doing what needs to be done in order to have a chance to win games.  It's ugly and frustrating but I wasn't expecting a lot from the offense this season because of what we had coming back.  I would actually like to see a few more short high percentage passes mixed in but between dropped and bad throws I don't think UND has anything that would be considered a high percentage pass. 

On our second offensive play of the game there was an obvious blitz coming from the right side of the line and no adjustment was made. The blitzer made a tackle in the backfield to set up a third and long for us.... We need to notice the blitzes and adjust blocking better.

or audible and throw hot to the blitz side, not sure we have anyone capable of that. 

Although the trophy is nice, I have to confess I might not be the Madden genius I thought I was because everyone else in my section at the game was able to call just about every play of ours and predict the outcome within a yard. I'm not sure when suggesting on this board that an offense that is on it's way to 6 - count em - 6 yards in the second half should try ..........something else.... (maybe at about the 3 total yard point) became such a bad thing. I sense a stubborness on offense that worries me.

That wasn't specifically directed at you, Irish. Lots of Lazy Boy Recliner QB's on this board.

I thought it was very funny - We need to keep things loose here as we adjust to a new coach. On the flip side, I love the new attitude on defense.

I try to add some humor now and then...sometimes it doesn't get interpreted that way.

We all want UND football to succeed...and all probably differ somewhat on how to reach that point.

If I were a UND football fan, I would focus my attention on the Oline and try to evaluate their play and improvement. An offense, and the skill players on it, can really only play as well as the Oline plays, and a playbook will be constricted or expanded based on Oline play and ability.  I assume Bubba and his crew are focusing on the Oline, and what your Oline can do (realistically) against your next opponent, controls your offensive gameplan.

Over on BV, the main pre-season talk seems to always be focused on offensive skill players. My response is normally in the "I hope our Oline is solid this year" arena. I also tend to advocate for more Oline recruit commits over a bunch of speedy athletes. It's amazing how good a good Oline can make an average running back or QB look.

Just my thoughts... 

If I were a UND football fan, I would focus my attention on the Oline and try to evaluate their play and improvement. An offense, and the skill players on it, can really only play as well as the Oline plays, and a playbook will be constricted or expanded based on Oline play and ability. I assume Bubba and his crew are focusing on the Oline, and what your Oline can do (realistically) against your next opponent, controls your offensive gameplan.

Over on BV, the main pre-season talk seems to always be focused on offensive skill players. My response is normally in the "I hope our Oline is solid this year" arena. I also tend to advocate for more Oline recruit commits over a bunch of speedy athletes. It's amazing how good a good Oline can make an average running back or QB look.

Just my thoughts...

Yup. Yup. Yup. And yup. The Trojan troll?