SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 4: UND vs. Stony Brook Seawolves

homer

I won't pick on anyone in particular but building a new 25,000-35,000 seat stadium and "moving up" to FBS should not even be remotely included in a discussion anywhere.

Just over 7,000...that's really sad. I'm sure the coaches and players all know that this is a monster rebuild...but the team could sure use some support from the locals.

Totally agree. Attendance has dropped 25% since 2008. Let's start winning again and fill the Alerus before we start redesigning Memorial....

I would at least like to see a bubble screen thrown in here and there in an attempt to keep the defense somewhat on their toes.

Goska would be a welcomed upgrade in my opinion.

I think the play calling is proof that the staff has zero confidence in the offenses ability to throw the ball........

Well, nostalgia's always comforting, I guess. Don't get me wrong, quality young man who  represented the program and university well through a difficult transition and, if IIRC, also was the unlikely hero of last-second win vs USD that won the Great West championship in 2012 (and doomed the program, according to some here, by extending Mussman's tenure). But my recollection of most of Goska's time under center was of 7-yard passes drilled at the feet of receivers running  10-yard out patterns and defenses playing nine in the box against us.

In the first offensive series last night, Mollberg sailed a pass just over the head of a receiver running a sideline route. It was a three-step drop and a quick throw to what appeared to be the first (or only?) read for the play, but already a defensive lineman was draped all over him, affecting the throw. Maybe that's why neither the coaching staff nor Mollberg seemed to have confidence in the passing game.

I agree with the bubble screen. I'd like to see Mollberg roll out more with pass-or-run options, but can we even contain the defensive end and/or OLB consistently enough to allow that to happen? I don't think Mollberg's the problem -- and I don't think Goska would have been the answer. We just seem to be stuck with puzzlingly ineffective OL play that limits almost all offensive options.

• Upvote 3

when you complete about 1 pass per quarter, and are averaging 2 yards per rush, I think the offense has to try capitalize on over pursuit by the defense.   by using bubble screens, etc.    Mollberg has struggled, and the o-line has struggled.   But i'm least impressed with Rudolph above all else.     

• Upvote 3

Not getting push in one bad thing but I can't figure out how on several run plays they couldn't get blocking assignments figured out. It isn't always easy but you certainly should be leaving the DT at the point of attack unblocked. The offensive line is pretty bad, but if we had a QB that was at least mildly efficient it would take a lot of pressure off the run game and defense. We should at least be able to consistently complete a few short passes but to this point it isn't happening. It is to the point that Mollberg leaves the pocket even when he has protection. I also think he doesn't recognize blitz when it's coming most of the time.

To whoever said made a crack about the offense, you are not seeing the big picture. The philosophy is for this to be a defensive team and the offense needs to be able to pound the rock to help keep the defense fresh. The problem is that it is very clear the UND doesn't have near the talent on offense to accomplish much in the running or passing game. I think it will be at least two season before the offense even looks decent. It's not about the X's and O's, it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's. It isn't that anything is really wrong with the offensive system, we just have a serious issue with talent and execution right now.

The defense still has a lot to clean up and work on but they had a good/great game overall and it is crazy how much better they are compared to the last several years.

This UND football team can improve during the season and most certainly during the offseason before the 2015 season.

The number one issue on the offense is the offensive line, followed by the quarterback and running back positions. The receivers could be improved a bit too but experience will do that with #10 and #5. The offensive line is very poor and it has no depth. Obviously, the team needs improved offensive line and quarterback play. I'm not against seeing Bartels play, but that's not an instant fix like some say. This offense will improve the most through development during the season and obviously recruiting in the offseason, and it starts upfront.

As for the play calling, Bubba declared the obvious: it would be foolish to throw the football around when the defense was playing well. It would risk throwing an incomplete pass stoping the clock, or worse, an interception. It's also worth noting that Stony Brook is no slouch defensively. Compared to Big Sky teams, Stony Brook would probably have a top 3 defense.

Lastly, the defense is playing well. Overall as a unit, they have the best technique, coaching, and depth. They will lead UND football for the foreseeable future.

Well, nostalgia's always comforting, I guess. Don't get me wrong, quality young man who represented the program and university well through a difficult transition and, if IIRC, also was the unlikely hero of last-second win vs USD that won the Great West championship in 2012 (and doomed the program, according to some here, by extending Mussman's tenure). But my recollection of most of Goska's time under center was of 7-yard passes drilled at the feet of receivers running 10-yard out patterns and defenses playing nine in the box against us.

In the first offensive series last night, Mollberg sailed a pass just over the head of a receiver running a sideline route. It was a three-step drop and a quick throw to what appeared to be the first (or only?) read for the play, but already a defensive lineman was draped all over him, affecting the throw. Maybe that's why neither the coaching staff nor Mollberg seemed to have confidence in the passing game.

I agree with the bubble screen. I'd like to see Mollberg roll out more with pass-or-run options, but can we even contain the defensive end and/or OLB consistently enough to allow that to happen? I don't think Mollberg's the problem -- and I don't think Goska would have been the answer. We just seem to be stuck with puzzlingly ineffective OL play that limits almost all offensive options.

Oh I definately agree that OL play is bigger problem than QB play right now.

Well, nostalgia's always comforting, I guess. Don't get me wrong, quality young man who represented the program and university well through a difficult transition and, if IIRC, also was the unlikely hero of last-second win vs USD that won the Great West championship in 2012 (and doomed the program, according to some here, by extending Mussman's tenure). But my recollection of most of Goska's time under center was of 7-yard passes drilled at the feet of receivers running 10-yard out patterns and defenses playing nine in the box against us.

Two words: Marcus Hendrickson.

I'm seeing improvement if it's worth anything.

Stony Brook, IMO, is quite better than Robert Morris, especially on defense.

Everyone needs to realize that the defense will be winning games for UND for the next few seasons. Bubba witnessed that formula have success in the early 2000s and he's going to implement it again. Fans need to show up and get loud; in all reality, it makes a difference and can win games for UND. There's at least 4 more winnable games (3 at home) left on this schedule, so let's get this team to .500 (6-6) and help ease the rebuild as much as possible!

Go UND!

O.K., we all know the OL is struggling. How many years is it realistically going to take to rebuild it? How many current redshirts have a real chance to start next year? An FBS transfer would be nice, albeit unlikely, and I don't think juco transfers are the answer. So for improvement as soon as next year, it seems to me it's going to have to come from Stockwell and the current redshirts. And that's asking a lot of a bunch of 19 or 20 year olds with no game experience.

I saw a clip of Ben Henson in the pre-game show where he said something to the effect that all 11 guys need to execute. If only 10 do, it doesn't work. On offense I think I saw every position be the "one" of the 11 at some point. 

The lines must be priority #1 for recruiting. Another big back (which I think has already committed) sure wouldn't hurt. 

If they're playing Mollberg over Bartles right now, I know who is #1 on the QB depth chart come August 10, 2015: Studsrud. 

If not for the "Rich and Rat Show" the player of the game was UND's punter. He probably has a repetitive motion injury today. 

O.K., we all know the OL is struggling. How many years is it realistically going to take to rebuild it? How many current redshirts have a real chance to start next year? An FBS transfer would be nice, albeit unlikely, and I don't think juco transfers are the answer. So for improvement as soon as next year, it seems to me it's going to have to come from Stockwell and the current redshirts. And that's asking a lot of a bunch of 19 or 20 year olds with no game experience.

If we could get a juco OL like Mckendry from a few years ago that would be great. He could play every position and was a great team guy. He had to fill in for an injury his last year and was one of our best OL.

I always thought Shea Walker was a pretty good offensive lineman. Would moving him back be an upgrade over any if the current guys? Seems odd to move a guy with so much experience away from a position group that is struggling so bad......

He was a better guard than center but I kinda like him on d. He's low, quick, and stout.

Molberg's stats for the last two games

11 for 31 with 3 picks and a fumble in the end zone.  149 yards passing total.  5/30 on third downs.  Admittedly working under the least creative offensive coordinator I have ever seen - ever.  Everyone was happy when we heard we would pound the rock.  - Has a catchy sound.  However, we are getting pounded with the rock - not the same.  I never thought I would wish for another bubble screen, but here I am.  I know we have some talent deficits - but are you telling me that this was the best game plan we could come up with.  Run for 2 yards a carry and if that doesn't work run some more for 2 yards a carry.  Bubba has done a great job getting the defense to play with intensity and pride.  Not impressed with the OC, however.  

• Upvote 1

OK, I'm going to do it (and will probably regret it later) .... 

There's nothing flashy in NDSU's offense or NDSU's current formula. It's stout defense and ball-control offense. 

The reason NDSU's offense looks so good most of the time is they have an offensive line that executes their assignments with precision every play. Given that: their QB has time, the backs have holes, and the WRs have time to get open. But most importantly, all 11 guys, especially the five up front, are doing their assignments without mistake. 

UND has some work to do, but that's exactly what the UND staff is trying to put in place. 

I'l say it again: Mussman was an offensive lineman in college. How he could let the offensive line get to this state just stuns me. Bubba and Rudolph will just have to do rebuild it. Rebuilding can be done (see: defense). 

• Upvote 1

Molberg's stats for the last two games

11 for 31 with 3 picks and a fumble in the end zone.  149 yards passing total.  5/30 on third downs.  Admittedly working under the least creative offensive coordinator I have ever seen - ever.  Everyone was happy when we heard we would pound the rock.  - Has a catchy sound.  However, we are getting pounded with the rock - not the same.  I never thought I would wish for another bubble screen, but here I am.  I know we have some talent deficits - but are you telling me that this was the best game plan we could come up with.  Run for 2 yards a carry and if that doesn't work run some more for 2 yards a carry.  Bubba has done a great job getting the defense to play with intensity and pride.  Not impressed with the OC, however.  

Agreed on screens. 5 years ago I would slapped myself for saying it with how we used to try and force screens. They can be tricky to run correctly though. 

I'd still like to see Joe on rollouts more often. He's a big and mobility was one of his key attributes when recruited. I could be dumb and there could be thigns I don't know, like maybe he has trouble throwing on the move, or maybe they don't trust the backside of the offensive line to hold long enough, but you'd think it'd help him out a bit. It'd simplify the reads a little bit, and if he's not comfortable he just pull it down and lean forward. Dude's a big guy, he probably gets a yard or two more than he should. 

We could try stretching opposing defenses horizontally as some have eluded to. Bubble screens, slip screens, throwing hot to a WR if a DB is off......these are essentially run plays and a team can run vertical routes off these plays. It may actually open up the run game without changing what our goal is offensively. Couple things to point out, every offense has advantages over the defense. 1) they know the play 2) they know the snap count 3) film should show what the D is going to essentially 'give' you 4) run towards the D's weakest player and pass on the least talented DB. We seem to not take advantage of any of these things. And in our case I guess the D appears to know our plays as well, and when we are going to run them.

With any kind of offense whatsoever, there would be several more potential wins on the schedule based upon what I've seen and read. UNC is terrible, as usual. Portland St. is only slightly better. Weber is 0-4, albeit against a very strong schedule. And even NAU looked far from impressive in Vermillion yesterday.

• Upvote 2

There's nothing flashy in NDSU's offense or NDSU's current formula. It's stout defense and ball-control offense. 

The reason NDSU's offense looks so good most of the time is they have an offensive line that executes their assignments with precision every play. Given that: their QB has time, the backs have holes, and the WRs have time to get open. But most importantly, all 11 guys, especially the five up front, are doing their assignments without mistake. 

UND has some work to do, but that's exactly what the UND staff is trying to put in place. 

I'l say it again: Mussman was an offensive lineman in college. How he could let the offensive line get to this state just stuns me. Bubba and Rudolph will just have to do rebuild it. Rebuilding can be done (see: defense).

All true but NDSU does throw in weekly wrinkles. Against the Griz they had a safety running a series of end around plays as a wide out.

Agree with most of your assesment (especially the part about Muss) - I'm not convinced that the road to that type of offense needs to run through the place where we have 5 first downs and 70 yards passing - let alone make a stop there for who knows how long.  I think we know what type of offense Bubba wants, but how does yesterday's game plan get us any closer.  We all want more fan support - the offensive half of the game was almost painful to watch.  You don't teach success by practicing failure over and over.  

• Upvote 1

Way to go UND!! Just got back from GF from the game and was very pleased with the outcome: A WIN. Remember we were 12 point underdogs and I give the coaches a ton of credit with getting that done. It was awesome to see this defense come around and gain an extreme amount of confidence as the game progressed. A lot of guys played and so were fresh through out (circa 1990's- early 2000s) and I truly believe we could have given them 10 more possessions and they wouldn't have scored. Defense is the core of winning games and I like the direction we are headed. The offense game plan did what we needed it to do and that was run the clock. So yes it was bland and statisticless but to me (and apparently OC Rudolph) the win is what matters. It wasn't pretty to all the Madden players out there but I think it was a heady move by Bubba and the O staff giving us the best possibility to win. I'll be back to watch this team again, especially to watch an inspired defense.

Again congrats on the quality win to the players and coaches.