SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 4: UND vs. Stony Brook Seawolves

homer

UND will return back to Grand Forks Saturday for a game vs. the Stony Brook Seawolves (1-2).  Stony Brook is currently 1-2 on the season and is coming off a 20-3 win over American International.  In that game, Stony Brook had two 100 yard rushers and held American to 2 yards per carry.

http://www.goseawolves.org/sports/m-footbl/recaps/091314aaa.html

This will be the last of four non conference game for both teams.

Mollberg to start.

What the actual hell?  Bartles must be getting the message that there is no way he will start - I wouldn't blame him if he transfered.  In my opinion he played better than Molberg last year and we haven't seen anything in a game that would change anyone's mind.  

What the actual hell?  Bartles must be getting the message that there is no way he will start - I wouldn't blame him if he transfered.  In my opinion he played better than Molberg last year and we haven't seen anything in a game that would change anyone's mind.  

Read between the lines.  It tells you how bad Bartles must be.

Read between the lines.  It tells you how bad Bartles must be.

...must be in practice.........we were told by someone here that that is how you determine your starting QB at this level.  In practice....................

I have seen nothing from Joe that in games 1-3 that shows he is capable of being a D1 FCS starting QB.

Ruhe is out for the year.... damn

Bad news!  However, we may be able to convince the NCAA to give him four more years.  He got hurt in the 3rd game of the season (25% of our games).  The rule indicates a player must play in no more than two games or 20% of the schedule to be eligible for another year.       

Kyle Ruhe is out for the year with a knee injury, per a Tom Miller tweet.

While no where even in the top 5 or 10 on list of issues, it sure seems like this team has been seriously snake bitten the last few years on injuries.  This year its been Carr (1 game), Reyes (2 games and counting), Hinojosa (1 game so far), Simmons (1 game and counting) and now Ruhe for the year.  And I know I'm missing one or two.  Sounds like they are hoping Reyes and Hinojosa will be back this weekend.  On a team that is sorely lacking depth, having starters missing games is especially devastating.

Bad news!  However, we may be able to convince the NCAA to give him four more years.  He got hurt in the 3rd game of the season (25% of our games).  The rule indicates a player must play in no more than two games or 20% of the schedule to be eligible for another year.       

It is actually 30% of games.  He's already used up his redshirt year and he's in year 2 of 5 (for the NCAA eligibility clock).  The only way he'd likely be granted a 6th year is if he were to lose a second year to injury.

Compared to Bartels, yes, although I'd like to see his mobility actually benefit the team in a game if that's the reason he's starting.

I would love to see Mollberg be accurate, it's killing him and if it's because of lack of protection they need to fix that.

I would love to see Mollberg be accurate, it's killing him and if it's because of lack of protection they need to fix that.

Based on some comments on SFI, Mollberg may have confidence issues (not only in himself, but in the O-line) causing bad timing.  That's one problem with throwing a young QB into the fire too early.  See the Jacksonville Jaguars for example, they're keeping Bortles out because they know they don't have the line to protect him and they don't want him to hear footsteps for the rest of his career.

• Upvote 1

Pass protection really has not been the problem that I have noticed.  Center/snap issues RM game, timing or route issues with WR's, throwing accuracy.  That said, QB's will struggle if they have confidence issues.  The OC needs to call plays that can be completed so that Joe, WR's, OL and fans all get some confidence. 

Pass protection really has not been the problem that I have noticed. Center/snap issues RM game, timing or route issues with WR's, throwing accuracy. That said, QB's will struggle if they have confidence issues. The OC needs to call plays that can be completed so that Joe, WR's, OL and fans all get some confidence.

Hopefully this Saturday he can get some confidence being at home.

RB Cedric Simmons is also likely still out for Stony Brook game. Shaugabay, Garman, Norberg will split carries.

Norberg switch to offense? I know he put up some good stats in high school but I just hadn't heard he switched.

Edit: I see he took some carries last week. Just must not have noticed.

Anyone know why Sharp is seeing any carries?  

Last year people were complaining about the musical chairs at qb. Now after 2 games (it started last week and even some after week 1), the chorus starts up. Whether you agree with Coach Schweigert, Coach Rudolph or the choice at qb, 3 games will not turn the Titanic around. Not convinced that this is the way to go (actually personally I do not), but It took years to put the Sioux football team in this position.

On the other hand, gfhockey, are the good ol' boys happy with forcing their choice of Schweigert as the GC?