SiouxSports.com Forum

Western Regional

SOL

Talked to Mason Morelli this past Saturday and asked him how the ice is at Scheels since the Bison play bouncy ball in there now. He said it sucked before they were there and now it really sucks. Said the USHL brass are looking into it. Not sure what they can do but that ice has never been good. Hopefully by the regionals they have something figured out. At least bouncy ball will be done in there by then.

Sounds to me like ice conditions might not lend itself to the best hockey being played.  Perhaps the NCAA should have a back up plan that would be logistically feasible in the area -- oh, say perhaps THE RALPH!!

Sounds to me like ice conditions might not lend itself to the best hockey being played.  Perhaps the NCAA should have a back up plan that would be logistically feasible in the area -- oh, say perhaps THE RALPH!!

Ha,ha….since when does the NC$$ care about the quality of hockey….this made me laugh out loud at my desk this morning , the things the NC$$ cares about most in no particular order:  money, attendance, money and oh yeah , money and making the stands look full on TV, and almost forgot …. money

Ha,ha….since when does the NC$$ care about the quality of hockey….this made me laugh out loud at my desk this morning , the things the NC$$ cares about most in no particular order:  money, attendance, money and oh yeah , money and making the stands look full on TV, and almost forgot …. money

they don't care about making the stands look full. Look at the last few regional's that have been placed outside a major hockey area, the arena is not even 1/4 full and you can hear all the players talking on the ice.

Who would a person email at the NCAA about the ice conditions at the Scheels Arena,  my only sliver of hope to attend is if they move it to a bigger venue.  Maybe they would create a new MN rule and move it to the X, but the Ralph or Sioux falls would work just as well for me, not sure of the capacity of SF, but even Duluth or Bemidji

Disclaimer: getting a little starry eyed about hockey these days

Who would a person email at the NCAA about the ice conditions at the Scheels Arena,  my only sliver of hope to attend is if they move it to a bigger venue.  Maybe they would create a new MN rule and move it to the X, but the Ralph or Sioux falls would work just as well for me, not sure of the capacity of SF, but even Duluth or Bemidji

Didn't Duluth loose the bid to UND in Fargo?

It is going to be at Scheels, period.   Don't think UND would want to jeopardize future chances at hosting by trying to wiggle out of Scheels and change sites at the last minute.  If anything, fans should bite the bullet in order to keep future home ice type advantages in our back yard. 

It is going to be at Scheels, period.   Don't think UND would want to jeopardize future chances at hosting by trying to wiggle out of Scheels and change sites at the last minute.  If anything, fans should bite the bullet in order to keep future home ice type advantages in our back yard. 

What if their happened to be an "accident" where someone turned the heat up and the ice melted mysteriously!! :p

Jeez, just stomp on my dreams, do you like kicking puppies too?  I was hoping just like I hope to win powerball with my one ticket that the NCAA, not UND would consider a solution to the ice issue in Fargo that would put my butt in a seat.  But we're all good, go back to stomping puppies and I will keep daydreaming about hockey..LOL

Maybe the DUI Zamboni driver will get the ice to NCAA standards

The NCAA wouldn't care if there are 5 or 6 NCHC teams in the tourney.

It might be un-avoidable depending on how the seeding works out.

It's written into the rules that there are no conference matchups in the opening round. They can put two in the same regional (and they will) but they can't meet in the first game.

Same thing used to happen to the WCHA.

It's written into the rules that there are no conference matchups in the opening round. They can put two in the same regional (and they will) but they can't meet in the first game.

Same thing used to happen to the WCHA.

If there are five or more teams from one conference they can and will. UND, Denver, and Wisconsin were all in the same regional one year with Wisconsin hosting. I believe Wisconsin hosted and played denver in the first round. We beat Wisconsin on a kozek o.t. goal to go to the frozen four. I believe it may have been 08

If there are five or more teams from one conference they can and will. UND, Denver, and Wisconsin were all in the same regional one year with Wisconsin hosting. I believe Wisconsin hosted and played denver in the first round. We beat Wisconsin on a kozek o.t. goal to go to the frozen four. I believe it may have been 08

You are correct on 2008, I had forgot about that. 6 WCHA teams qualified and 5 of them were 2 or 3 seed so there was no other way to do it without penalizing a number 1 seed with a tougher matchup. Still, that was a pretty rare occurrence, I don't see it happening again especially with where the NCHC teams are currently ranked.

I got to thinking the other day; it's a shame that UND couldn't of bid/got Sanford Premier Center in Sioux Falls for the Western Regional. It's a hair closer to GF than the Twin Cities is and just as important it's only 235 miles from the Twin Cities and the large UND alumni base. The arena seats nearly 10,700 for ice hockey, doubling Scheel's Center capacity. I think it's safe to assume it would be darn near (if not) a sell-out there the way Sioux fans travel. I wonder if that was considered initially by UND as a site for their bid and, if so, if it was simply booked up for late March? Not sure either way but UND may want to consider it in the future.

I got to thinking the other day; it's a shame that UND couldn't of bid/got Sanford Premier Center in Sioux Falls for the Western Regional. It's a hair closer to GF than the Twin Cities is and just as important it's only 235 miles from the Twin Cities and the large UND alumni base. The arena seats nearly 10,700 for ice hockey, doubling Scheel's Center capacity. I think it's safe to assume it would be darn near (if not) a sell-out there the way Sioux fans travel. I wonder if that was considered initially by UND as a site for their bid and, if so, if it was simply booked up for late March? Not sure either way but UND may want to consider it in the future.

I don't think you'll see UND or even Omaha put in a bid there.