SiouxSports.com Forum

Western Regional

SOL

Looks like Michigan Tech will be the 2 seed vs Minnesota 3 seed, going off the USCHO pairwise rankings....it's going to be a great weekend

Michigan tech will most likely have to play St. Cloud, as the other three number two seeds are NCHC teams. I am guessing tech gets moved to the Midwest for attendance and plays St. Cloud there, and Omaha plays the gophers in fargo.

• 6 months later...

Buy your tickets for the 2017 Frozen Four in Chicago

A frozen four four-peat in the land of Michael Jordan and Jonny T.  I love the Windy City.  Chi town champs!!  I can dig that. We need to start the champaign now to keep all of our next year Seniors. :-)

Interesting.  Why would they want to do this, when Fargo was so successful last year and will be again in 2017?  Does the NCAA not want it in back to back locations?  I'd have to go check, but aren't there places out East that get it year after year?

Interesting.  Why would they want to do this, when Fargo was so successful last year and will be again in 2017?  Does the NCAA not want it in back to back locations?  I'd have to go check, but aren't there places out East that get it year after year?

My guess is capacity. Sanford Center in Sioux Falls has a capacity of 10,678 for hockey.  This change would allow in the neighborhood of 40% more Sioux fans to attend. Of course the town will have to be renamed SoDak Falls for the weekend in order for the NC$$ not to deem it hostile and abusive. 

It's pretty rare for them to appear in the same location in back to back years, even out east.  It seems like they're always in the same location in the east because every town is only a hop, skip, and maybe a jump away from another town with an acceptable arena out there.  They appear to rotate between Bridgeport, Manchester, Worcester, and one random, though it has occurred where Bridgeport hosted 2 years in a row.  

Someone has back to back regional this year. But I think UND wants to change things up. There were plenty of people that wanted tickets last year and couldn't get them. the Denny Stanford is a nice arena, and Sioux Falls has alot of UND fans. The place sold out multiple times for the Stampede(USHL) last year and have a little history with UND coaches and players.

Also within 3 hours of Omaha and Mankato, and I believe the airport is more accessible than Fargo (flights to Minneapolis, and Denver)

Edit: Cincinnati (Miami) will host two regional in a row

Edited by Wildfan

It's pretty rare for them to appear in the same location in back to back years, even out east.  It seems like they're always in the same location in the east because every town is only a hop, skip, and maybe a jump away from another town with an acceptable arena out there.  They appear to rotate between Bridgeport, Manchester, Worcester, and one random, though it has occurred where Bridgeport hosted 2 years in a row.  

Add Providence to that list haha

What would UND and REA get out of putting a regional in Sioux Falls?  The NCAA gets the bulk of the ticket revenue.  UND/REA might get a little bit of extra ticket money and some extra concessions money, but it probably wouldn't be significant.  They would be taking money away from a North Dakota city and giving it to a South Dakota city (hotels, restaurants, stores, taxes, facility rental, etc.).  It would be bad PR to bid the event in Sioux Falls if Fargo is available.  I don't see it happening as long as there is a viable option in North Dakota.

Guess with Brad saying to look for UND to bid in Sioux Falls, that UND may have some bad PR coming their way. 

Edited by tnt

Have to believe the biggest factor in bidding Sioux Falls is the anticipated bid from Omaha in 2018. Century link is way larger than Scheels and would likely be the favorite to win that bid. But by bidding the Denny you at least improve your odds somewhat in that category.

Now on a selfish level, I hope to see 2018 awarded to either Sioux Falls or Omaha. Easy drive from Forks and there is something to be said for taking the opportunity to experience what other towns and cities have to offer.

Guess with Brad saying to look for UND to bid in Sioux Falls, that UND may have some bad PR coming their way. 

I'm going to guess it was made clear Sioux Falls was going to bid with or without UND's (instead using Mankato or St. Cloud, maybe even Omaha), especially with Chris Semrau there.  Due to the size difference, Sioux Falls probably has a better shot than Fargo and UND realized that.

It is the World Junior syndrome all over again. The Ralph hosted the WJC and it was so popular that it attracted bigger fish to compete with it and now the tourney is simply too big for Grand Forks.  Fargo hosted the regional and proved that it easily could have doubled ticket sales and it attracted bigger fish to the marketplace. The difference is that Fargo is lucky enough to host it twice. 

• Upvote 1

It is the World Junior syndrome all over again. The Ralph hosted the WJC and it was so popular that it attracted bigger fish to compete with it and now the tourney is simply too big for Grand Forks.  Fargo hosted the regional and proved that it easily could have doubled ticket sales and it attracted bigger fish to the marketplace. The difference is that Fargo is lucky enough to host it twice. 

The funny part about that is that it really only applies to this regional.  Most of the other regionals could still fit in a Fargo-size arena with extra seats to spare.

This team is going to be hit with once in a decade depletion after this season.  If they don't make the tournament the regional will be a bust, granted not as bad as others.

Why the depletion prediction? I see a back to back championship team. I see two seniors gone that will hurt, anymore is a coin toss.

Why the depletion prediction? I see a back to back championship team. I see two seniors gone that will hurt, anymore is a coin toss.

Ladue, Thompson gone for sure.  Poolman and Stecher, I'll guess one of them is gone.  Schmaltz likely, Johnson possibly.  Boeser could be one and done.  Maybe early departure is a better phrase than depletion since the senior class isn't big this year. 

Then again, we reload rather than rebuild. I shouldn't be trying to predict next season before this one even starts.  This big of a freshman class has me worried about Wisconsin syndrome though.

Ladue, Thompson gone for sure.  Poolman and Stecher, I'll guess one of them is gone.  Schmaltz likely, Johnson possibly.  Boeser could be one and done.  Maybe early departure is a better phrase than depletion since the senior class isn't big this year. 

Then again, we reload rather than rebuild. I shouldn't be trying to predict next season before this one even starts.  This big of a freshman class has me worried about Wisconsin syndrome though.

Yes, all troubling possibilities...

I don't remember any hype about Wisco's freshman class though when they came in, like UND is getting. They are predicted in the top 5 with all these freshmen. I hope you're wrong, we shall see....Go Sioux!!