SiouxSports.com Forum

Western Regional

SOL

I hope that rant let you blow off some steem.  Bryce is actually a personal friend of mine, and a good guy, who's hands were tied in this.  The school dictated some numbers for students and champion's club and the ncaa some numbers for other schools.  The arena bid it to get something near UND when the ncaa supposedly wasn't allowing on campus sites.  And, no, I didn't get tickets either.

I'm sure Bryce is a good guy but I would love to hear the answer to a couple of questions...  first, why were people at scheels arena able to buy tickets before the eleven AM start time?  second, what happened to the tickets I had in my cart that said I had ten minutes to buy?  Gone like a fart in the wind...  were they never available in the first place?  Was there confusion on how many were available online?  Etix and tickets300 are saying the problem wasn't on their end but on the promoters (i.e. scheels arena).

I'm sure Bryce is a good guy but I would love to hear the answer to a couple of questions...  first, why were people at scheels arena able to buy tickets before the eleven AM start time?  second, what happened to the tickets I had in my cart that said I had ten minutes to buy?  Gone like a fart in the wind...  were they never available in the first place?  Was there confusion on how many were available online?  Etix and tickets300 are saying the problem wasn't on their end but on the promoters (i.e. scheels arena).

I have to echo your frustrations. I went online, was presented with 2 tickets, tried to buy them and they were GONE. I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation as to why the servers couldn't handle the amount of traffic and yada yada but I don't care, and had I known I could get them before 11 am, I too would have shown up at the arena!

I really don't care if this Bryce guy is your dad! it's pretty simple, why would you bid for a tournament like this that you absolutely know you can't handle the type of crowds that will be/willing to be attending this event? Und has a facility to suit everyone's needs, but fargo bid it so it went to them. I would rather drive to Green Bay, than have to pay who knows how much to go to a game at a high school hockey rink in fargo,(which is as far from a hockey town as you can get for all these out towers they are looking to facilitate). After all this is SIOUX hockey, who else do we have in this great state to cheer on and make the presence were known for if we're not even allowed to attend the games?

I really don't care if this Bryce guy is your dad! it's pretty simple, why would you bid for a tournament like this that you absolutely know you can't handle the type of crowds that will be/willing to be attending this event? Und has a facility to suit everyone's needs, but fargo bid it so it went to them. I would rather drive to Green Bay, than have to pay who knows how much to go to a game at a high school hockey rink in fargo,(which is as far from a hockey town as you can get for all these out towers they are looking to facilitate). After all this is SIOUX hockey, who else do we have in this great state to cheer on and make the presence were known for if we're not even allowed to attend the games?

Let's not get carried away. Don't forget UND helped scheels arena bid. Plus it was a bid. Nothing was guaranteed. It could have went to out to Denver somewhere. Let's be a little happy/thankful it's close to UND and the place will be back with Sioux fans helping them reach the frozen four.

The issue should be with UND only giving the general public 100 seats. Could have cut a few more off the champions club list.

• Upvote 2

Let's not get carried away. Don't forget UND helped scheels arena bid. Plus it was a bid. Nothing was guaranteed. It could have went to out to Denver somewhere. Let's be a little happy/thankful it's close to UND and the place will be back with Sioux fans helping them reach the frozen four.

The issue should be with UND only giving the general public 100 seats. Could have cut a few more off the champions club list.

While I agree with most of this, those champions club members have earned some priority.

• Upvote 1

I have to echo your frustrations. I went online, was presented with 2 tickets, tried to buy them and they were GONE. I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation as to why the servers couldn't handle the amount of traffic and yada yada but I don't care, and had I known I could get them before 11 am, I too would have shown up at the arena!

I'm right there with you both - as stated above, I didn't get tickets myself and am less than enthused - esp if the story about the arena box office opening early is accurate!

The Fargo vs. GF thing has been beat to death in thread after thread on this board.  I agree with your sentiment about wishing it were at the Ralph and all, but it's when you made it about an individual that I took exception.  If the math is correct, that there are 2,000 more tickets (500 each for the 4 schools that qualify), so once the Sioux secure their spot 500 more tickets will open up.  Depending on who else is sent to the West, there could be another 1,000 or more.  Unfortunately, we're now stuck having to be patient until the field is set.

I'm right there with you both - as stated above, I didn't get tickets myself and am less than enthused - esp if the story about the arena box office opening early is accurate!

The Fargo vs. GF thing has been beat to death in thread after thread on this board.  I agree with your sentiment about wishing it were at the Ralph and all, but it's when you made it about an individual that I took exception.  If the math is correct, that there are 2,000 more tickets (500 each for the 4 schools that qualify), so once the Sioux secure their spot 500 more tickets will open up.  Depending on who else is sent to the West, there could be another 1,000 or more.  Unfortunately, we're now stuck having to be patient until the field is set.

But I want an oopma loompa now!!!!

Folks, the NCAA give priority to "off campus" sites. 

Nobody in the Midwest Region bid except Notre Dame and they bid using their "on campus" site -- the NCAA had no option.

In the West, UND bid using REA as a site and UND bid using Scheel's as a site -- the NCAA took the "off campus" site, and, in the process I'd argue, left about 6000 tickets times three games on the table. 

For an organization of academic institutions, the NCAA ain't too smart. 

• Upvote 2

Nobody in the Midwest Region bid except Notre Dame and they bid using their "on campus" site -- the NCAA had no option.

In the West, UND bid using REA as a site and UND bid using Scheel's as a site -- the NCAA took the "off campus" site, and, in the process I'd argue, left about 6000 tickets times three games on the table. 

And before somebody else jumps on it, Duluth also bid to host, so REA wasn't a guarantee (IMO, it wasn't even remotely likely) if Scheels didn't apply.

• Upvote 1

^^^^this^^^^ 

Also keep in mind the NCCA is also concerned about attendance and TV ratings…full stadiums look better on TV…while the Scheels arena is small in our neck of the woods …other areas of the country would have a hard time filling it especially considering not knowing the outcomes of what teams will be in attendance.  However the “ain’t to smart” line resonates well in the fact that looking back on past attendance records in the area and the fact that you possibly could see…UMD, St. Cloud, Bemidji, Mankato, UM and Omaha all within reasonable driving distance it should have been a no brainer that this venue would sell out.  I still feel that UND is on the NCAA’s blacklist and will be for sometime

Yeah, people are definitely getting carried away.  It does suck that not everyone can get tickets but this shouldn't be a surprise with a 6,000 person arena 70 miles from Grand Forks.  When they announced that Fargo won, my first thought was that I hope I can manage to get tickets.

Also, if you want tickets badly enough you can still buy them, just might not be at the price you want.

• Upvote 1

Or they think they look really smart because one of the regionals already sold out!

Id like somebody to explain to my why there was non available when I woke up today....I mean who's looking out for those of us that don't get up till after noon!?...

I think those that actually went and stood out in line should have gotten a bit of priority.. sadly I couldnt have made the trip over from Bis but hey they stood in the cold....I have no problem with giving them 5 mins.

I was on at 11 and there weren't any tickets available for me either. I also called and was on hold for 30 min before finally hanging up. This is why I've said multiple times that the regional should be in Sioux Falls...

I don't have any inside info, but I've gotta think that unless they make the move back to campus sites, we'll be seeing CENSORED Falls.....

Soon-Sloth.png?itok=zlZ2eZAU

^^^^this^^^^

Also keep in mind the NCCA is also concerned about attendance and TV ratings…full stadiums look better on TV…while the Scheels arena is small in our neck of the woods …other areas of the country would have a hard time filling it especially considering not knowing the outcomes of what teams will be in attendance. However the “ain’t to smart” line resonates well in the fact that looking back on past attendance records in the area and the fact that you possibly could see…UMD, St. Cloud, Bemidji, Mankato, UM and Omaha all within reasonable driving distance it should have been a no brainer that this venue would sell out. I still feel that UND is on the NCAA’s blacklist and will be for sometime

Wish I could both this and the post they quoted. Finally some sanity in this mass of pity and self wallowing. So you didn't get tickets, that sucks. Did you consider CALLING the rink to see if they were selling tickets? That is the first thing I would have done. With a smartphone you could have been at both the rink and online... As said, UND did bid both the Ralph and Scheels, so if you want to blame the rink size, blame the NCAA.

Wish I could both this and the post they quoted. Finally some sanity in this mass of pity and self wallowing. So you didn't get tickets, that sucks. Did you consider CALLING the rink to see if they were selling tickets? That is the first thing I would have done. With a smartphone you could have been at both the rink and online... As said, UND did bid both the Ralph and Scheels, so if you want to blame the rink size, blame the NCAA.

Was on hold for a half hour...

I was on at 11 and there weren't any tickets available for me either. I also called and was on hold for 30 min before finally hanging up. This is why I've said multiple times that the regional should be in Sioux Falls...

Exactly, Sioux Falls rink is nice for USHL hockey, and it is like 10,500 seats for hockey.

Plus i don't know how many ticket students get, but I do know that NoDak Nation sounds to be in control of them, as they say perfect student attendance and Nodak Nation points puts you higher on the llist