SiouxSports.com Forum

Robert Morris game thread

Nodak78

But if the d touches the ball it becomes live for the offense, that's why they don't generally. It's dangerous and can lead to dumb plays that can cost games.

I hear ya. Most times the defense leaves it alone, but it's a catch 22 because then when the defense actual does the offense can be unaware.

Just like when UND got that kicked blocked last year at home and the other team ran it back, it seemed like UND quit trying after it was blocked.

Agreed that Shaugs should have more carries. Good news is that in my reading this morning Bubba was quoted saying that they need to think about giving him more carries.

Simmons- I like what I see...he will only get better. Has anyone heard how bad his injury was? 

Defense- Very nice to see them swarming the ball. There is definitely a different feel this year and it is refreshing. Olson, Reinke, Ratelle all looked great. Tillman- what a hit! I watched that a few times again this morning..just awesome!

Special Teams- Great! Build off of it.

Offense- A lot of work to do. Dumb penalties need to stop as they killed a couple drives. There is potential, but it will take a while to develop.

Any reason why Shaugabay wasn't getting more touches? I would much rather have him and Simmons splitting carries than Having Gatman in the mix. Garman just isn't a D1 running back. Too small. If you are going to be small at RB at this level. You better be pretty damn fast. And he is not.

Agreed. Sounds like Bubba (going off post game comments) will consider playing Shaugabay more.

Wth that, I think Garman should be replaced by Shaugabay. Garman is not suited for this level of football. Another RB that Mussman recruited that can't get the job done.

Agreed. Sounds like Bubba (going off post game comments) will consider playing Shaugabay more.

Wth that, I think Garman should be replaced by Shaugabay. Garman is not suited for this level of football. Another RB that Mussman recruited that can't get the job done.

I think everyone agrees with this. I dont think Garmin would even be a good fit as a D2 running back.

One thing that has to change is the QB play,   Mollberg simply doesn't cut it.   Either get Bartles out there or take a long look at pulling Studsrudes shirt.    We need to get something going here or this could be our only win, things were just ugly out there yesterday.     I really was hoping we were better then we apparently are.  

I didn't think Mollberg was as big of the issue with the offense as some.  He made a few bad throws, but the WR/TE's dropped more than a handful.  He threw a nice out to a TE low and away, leading him and in a spot the defender had no chance at it and the TE just dropped it.  The deep ball to Walker had some nice touch to drop it over the DB's head, though it could have led him a little more.  The protection on the line also isn't helping matters.

I'm more concerned about some of the play calling on 3rd down along with the offense as a whole.  Whether it was a dropped pass or a bad throw, it wouldn't have mattered about 5 different times because the WR would have still been multiple yards short of getting a first down.  Not sure why there aren't more RB's out in the flat or short TE routes. I guess they have needed the RB's to stay in and help with coverage. Would love to see a little FB leak play out to the flat, I know its in the playbook, I saw it at the scrimmage and it went for a TD.

Not sure if Simmons is/was still nicked up, but it looks like he has an extra gear but just can't get to it.  I think he needs to try to start running a few more people over instead of trying to juke them.

Defense had its moments and is definitely much improved.  Was not impressed with how UND was gashed up the middle so many times. Their RB was a beast but he still got more than he should have multiple times.  Robert Morris was running some weird sets with a strange mix of tackle eligible and WR's ineligible and I thought the defense sorted it out very well.  Tillman blowing up the WR as three Robert Morris guys watched was one of the plays of the game.

Agreed that Shaugs should have more carries. Good news is that in my reading this morning Bubba was quoted saying that they need to think about giving him more carries.

Simmons- I like what I see...he will only get better. Has anyone heard how bad his injury was?

Defense- Very nice to see them swarming the ball. There is definitely a different feel this year and it is refreshing. Olson, Reinke, Ratelle all looked great. Tillman- what a hit! I watched that a few times again this morning..just awesome!

Special Teams- Great! Build off of it.

Offense- A lot of work to do. Dumb penalties need to stop as they killed a couple drives. There is potential, but it will take a while to develop.

I like what Simmons brings but I question his durability. Just watching him make contact with defenders is awkward. I've seen him run into defenders instead of exploding into them. He hurt his shoulder yesterday because he lowered a limp shoulder into a defender. He needs to flex that shoulder/arm if he lowers it. I don think he can handle more than 15-18 carries a game. That's why we need a lot more Shaugs.

One thing that has to change is the QB play,   Mollberg simply doesn't cut it.   Either get Bartles out there or take a long look at pulling Studsrudes shirt.    We need to get something going here or this could be our only win, things were just ugly out there yesterday.     I really was hoping we were better then we apparently are.  

I like Mollberg's mobility but his accuracy is very questionable. But also remember he is just a sophomore. Maybe with a better OL that accuracy will improve. After 2 games I don't think a QB switch is going to help.

OL needs to improve. If we can't run the ball, it doesn't matter who the qb is. They didn't respect the run.

That being said, out wrs need to get off the line and Molberg needs to make some throws he missed yesterday. He's doing a better job pre snap this year (so far) but has to start showing some touch.

Shags averaged 19 per carry yesterday. He should have got a couple more reps.

OL needs to improve. If we can't run the ball, it doesn't matter who the qb is. They didn't respect the run.

That being said, out wrs need to get off the line and Molberg needs to make some throws he missed yesterday. He's doing a better job pre snap this year (so far) but has to start showing some touch.

Shags averaged 19 per carry yesterday. He should have got a couple more reps.

Rushing through 2 games:

231 total (115.5/game)   3.5 yds/carry  --2014 (SJSU, RMU)

276 total (138/game) 3.35 yds/carry--2013  (Valpo, South Dakota St)

255 of the 276 was against Valpo.

Turnover Ratio +3 --2013  1 Takeaway for UND defense

Turnover Ratio 0--2014      3 takeaways for UND defense

I don't know if anyone else noticed but I believe Demon Taylor and Hudson Walton were in the front of the student section. I know Walton was having troubles with the NCAA and he is not listed on the roster so that makes sense but any reason why Taylor wouldn't have been on the sidelines?

I don't know if anyone else noticed but I believe Demon Taylor and Hudson Walton were in the front of the student section. I know Walton was having troubles with the NCAA and he is not listed on the roster so that makes sense but any reason why Taylor wouldn't have been on the sidelines?

Speaking of the student section, it was nice to see it full.......then the second half started.  :sad:

Is Shea Walker expected to be clearly better than Woodsmall as the backup nose? I only ask because considering the lack of depth at center and guard right now, and the fact that the guy does have a number of starts at both positions in his career, it would be nice to have another experienced option on the interior of the OL--unless he's expected to make a real impact on defense.