SiouxSports.com Forum

Robert Morris game thread

Nodak78

I think people need to decide on what their expectations for this program should be.  Very rarely, in anything in life, does expectation level not have a direct correlation to level of success one achieves.  If your expectations are that beating Robert Morris in the manner that we did is alright and is a stepping stone then I would suspect this entire rebuilding process is going to be much longer than any of us anticipate. Personally, my expectation level, regardless of our current situation, is to become a perennial playoff team.  That means beating the likes of Robert Morris by multiple touchdowns.  Anything less should be unacceptable and is putting lipstick on a pig.  Tough love is a must in our current situation.  Take the win but call a spade a spade.  

Couldn't agree more.  In my opinion (and one I get ripped for stating) the lack of demand of excellence by both administration and fans led us down this current Muss-hole.  That's why we are celebrating a 3 point home victory over Robert Morris and the Bison are hosting their second consecutive game day. I have friends that are avid Bison fans and am so tired of taking crap from them.  We will see if we can develop the demand for championships.  This is not a slam on Bubba who was handed a real crappy hand (but one he wanted badly to play).  

Who is celebrating the 3 point win? I am unable to find an overwhelming amount of posts of people satisfied with the performance on Saturday, that includes players and coaches.

I think fans are happy with a win but not happy it was by 3 and almost a loss.

Couldn't agree more. In my opinion (and one I get ripped for stating) the lack of demand of excellence by both administration and fans led us down this current Muss-hole. That's why we are celebrating a 3 point home victory over Robert Morris and the Bison are hosting their second consecutive game day. I have friends that are avid Bison fans and am so tired of taking crap from them. We will see if we can develop the demand for championships. This is not a slam on Bubba who was handed a real crappy hand (but one he wanted badly to play).

We are all tired of being in the Bison's shadow in football not only in the country but in this state. UND hasn't been out of the Bison's shadow since 2003. Even during their transistion they were beating FBS teams and we were beating the likes of Crookston and Duluth. Hopefully Bubba will get us back to that level of recognition by the state.

The UND linebackers do not stack up well vs. other FCS teams.  Our OLB's have been bad thus far and Will Ratelle is pretty much the only consistent bright spot.  The young guys are just too green to play with any consistency yet.

OLB's had good game Sat.

I think people need to decide on what their expectations for this program should be.  Very rarely, in anything in life, does expectation level not have a direct correlation to level of success one achieves.  If your expectations are that beating Robert Morris in the manner that we did is alright and is a stepping stone then I would suspect this entire rebuilding process is going to be much longer than any of us anticipate. Personally, my expectation level, regardless of our current situation, is to become a perennial playoff team.  That means beating the likes of Robert Morris by multiple touchdowns.  Anything less should be unacceptable and is putting lipstick on a pig.  Tough love is a must in our current situation.  Take the win but call a spade a spade.

I don't think anyone is satisfied with a 3 point win over Robert Morris. There is no point in kicking a dead horse. If you aren't satisfied with where we are or how fast we are getting where most of us are expecting us to be, then we all need to do more to be part of the solution. We need to get phase II of the practice facility built now. Donate $, write letters to the Alumni Office demanding that become a priority, ask your former fraternities and sororities to fill the stands, send Bubba names of kids in your area they should evaluate and make sure you take every opportunity to tell potential students about the opportunities UND offers students and student athletes. I would believe that will improve things faster than expectations by those of us on a blog. I believe the coaching staff expects to become a power team in the Big Sky a perennial playoff team and resume our traditional dominance over the AC. Bubba can't do anything about what happened last year but I think he has a good staff and they are showing early success recruiting. I also don't think the lack of respect for Robert Morris is based on fact. We will play a lot of teams that are a lot better but I am not sure who knows exactly how good they are. We will have a better idea mid- season.

Couldn't agree more.  In my opinion (and one I get ripped for stating) the lack of demand of excellence by both administration and fans led us down this current Muss-hole.  That's why we are celebrating a 3 point home victory over Robert Morris and the Bison are hosting their second consecutive game day. I have friends that are avid Bison fans and am so tired of taking crap from them.  We will see if we can develop the demand for championships.  This is not a slam on Bubba who was handed a real crappy hand (but one he wanted badly to play).

If you are really Irish you wouldn't be taking crap from AC fans. They can only bother you if you think their opinion or attitudes are anything you care about. You worry way to much about the AC. Bubba is well aware of the task at hand and he has brought together and good staff. We are already seeing early success with their recruiting.

Jer Garman has 7 carries for 9 yards on Saturday; that's not good. Garman should be #4 on the depth chart and Simmons and Shaugabay should take the bulk of the carries moving forward. If Simmons can't go for awhile, then Shaugabay and Sharp should carry the ball.

I strongly dislike small backs unless they are used situationally (e.g., screens, route combinations, pitches, etc.). Miller last year was way overused and now Garman is being overused. Of course, if he understands the offense the best then that would be one thing, but eventually the others have to catch up.

How Garman even sees the field has been beyond me since day one. The dude is tiny yet they hand him the ball on dive plays up the middle. He goes down so easy it's embarrassing. Yet for some reason, the same love affair Muussman's staff had with him has carried over to this staff. The kid goes down if someone touches him. Another area where I question the staff is WR. Is anyone impressed by #10 or #5? #10 dropped at least two balls. I really thought Young would see the field this year but obviously not the same type of "Garman love" spreading his way. Defensive line is tooooooo small to play a 3-4!!!

If you are really Irish you wouldn't be taking crap from AC fans. They can only bother you if you think their opinion or attitudes are anything you care about. You worry way to much about the AC. Bubba is well aware of the task at hand and he has brought together and good staff. We are already seeing early success with their recruiting.

I am Irish and I can certainly hold my own with the AC boys - however, it saddens me to see the small town I am from which used to have more Sioux fans than Bison fans almost all yellow now, with several groups purchasing buses or other vehicles so they can drive down and tailgate in Fargo.  When you get out of Grand Forks you can see how low we let this program get.  I'll admit that I have been expressing my frustration on this board about the attitude here that let Muss drive this program into this ditch and continue on the journey for so long.  You are right - it's probably time I let this go.  So far Bubba is doing what he can with the hand he was dealt.  I like the new attitude.  We need to reclaim our status around the state in more ways than one.  

I am Irish and I can certainly hold my own with the AC boys - however, it saddens me to see the small town I am from which used to have more Sioux fans than Bison fans almost all yellow now, with several groups purchasing buses or other vehicles so they can drive down and tailgate in Fargo.  When you get out of Grand Forks you can see how low we let this program get.  I'll admit that I have been expressing my frustration on this board about the attitude here that let Muss drive this program into this ditch and continue on the journey for so long.  You are right - it's probably time I let this go.  So far Bubba is doing what he can with the hand he was dealt.  I like the new attitude.  We need to reclaim our status around the state in more ways than one.  

I agree with this.  Heck, there even seems to be quite a bit of Bison fans/gear in GF.  They have quite a bit of it at the new Scheels, and yes, I know Scheels is an NDSU supporter, but he wouldn't be stocking so much of it at the GF store if there wasn't a demand for it.

How Garman even sees the field has been beyond me since day one. The dude is tiny yet they hand him the ball on dive plays up the middle. He goes down so easy it's embarrassing. Yet for some reason, the same love affair Muussman's staff had with him has carried over to this staff. The kid goes down if someone touches him. Another area where I question the staff is WR. Is anyone impressed by #10 or #5? #10 dropped at least two balls. I really thought Young would see the field this year but obviously not the same type of "Garman love" spreading his way. Defensive line is tooooooo small to play a 3-4!!!

About the WR's, this is the second staff in a row that doesn't think Young has what it takes to be a WR.  Can't blame it on the coaches anymore.  They all started from scratch with this staff and he still isn't playing.  

Irish, I too am from a small town that is now full of "Bison Fans".  The thing is, there are two kinds of fans:  true fans that stick with their team, year in and year out, and fair weather fans. What is kind interesting is that only a few of these "fans" have supported the Bison throughout the years and they are actually pretty decent people.  The really arrogant ones have only been fans since the bison became a power.  These "fans" and I use the term lightly, could not have named a player on the bison team seven or eight years ago.  I know they can get really old, but really they aren't worth any response.

Irish, I too am from a small town that is now full of "Bison Fans".  The thing is, there are two kinds of fans:  true fans that stick with their team, year in and year out, and fair weather fans. What is kind interesting is that only a few of these "fans" have supported the Bison throughout the years and they are actually pretty decent people.  The really arrogant ones have only been fans since the bison became a power.  These "fans" and I use the term lightly, could not have named a player on the bison team seven or eight years ago.  I know they can get really old, but really they aren't worth any response.

Same here. The bandwagon was quite large in the 80's, too. A good majority of the "trolls" we see on siouxsports.com weren't even born then. There's only one group of fans that doesn't understand that things are cyclical. 

Totally agree, this is why Bubba pushing for the two games in Fargo was the correct call, IMO.  It's the hand he was dealt (7-2 offsuit).  

• Upvote 2