SiouxSports.com Forum

Robert Morris game thread

Nodak78

OL needs to improve. If we can't run the ball, it doesn't matter who the qb is. They didn't respect the run.

That being said, out wrs need to get off the line and Molberg needs to make some throws he missed yesterday. He's doing a better job pre snap this year (so far) but has to start showing some touch.

Shags averaged 19 per carry yesterday. He should have got a couple more reps.

i wish rudolph or bubba would adjusted in the game and said you know jer aint cutting it and sent adam out there instead...one first down on any of those couple of series and we wouldn't have had to hold our breath on rmu last drive...

I like Mollberg's mobility but his accuracy is very questionable. But also remember he is just a sophomore. Maybe with a better OL that accuracy will improve. After 2 games I don't think a QB switch is going to help.

Yea, because as the last two years in FBS have shown, young QBs, especially freshmen, really struggle.

Glad I didn't have to go to war with some of you guys. After 18 beers some of you think you could coach. Mollberg wasn't sharp but don't forget he earned the starting job through spring ball and fall practices. If anyone watches game film you might notice that on the firstlong pass he "over threw", the young receiver broke free from the db then stopped running. Had he kept going that pass looked like it was on the mark. I suppose the AC needs to replace their QB cuz they struggled and he threw 2 picks. Rotating QB's did us a lot of good last year didn't it. Mollberg remained calm went through his reads well, and didn't turn the ball over despite not being sharp. If you think Bartels or Studsrud are going to step in and play better you didn't watch fall practice. The coaches went with Mollberg for a reason.

Defense played better esp db's. Labat and Reinke played very well. The young kicker and punter did a good job. Kids played hard and improved from last week. Long way to go.

• Upvote 1

Glad I didn't have to go to war with some of you guys. After 18 beers some of you think you could coach. Mollberg wasn't sharp but don't forget he earned the starting job through spring ball and fall practices. If anyone watches game film you might notice that on the firstlong pass he "over threw", the young receiver broke free from the db then stopped running. Had he kept going that pass looked like it was on the mark. I suppose the AC needs to replace their QB cuz they struggled and he threw 2 picks. Rotating QB's did us a lot of good last year didn't it. Mollberg remained calm went through his reads well, and didn't turn the ball over despite not being sharp. If you think Bartels or Studsrud are going to step in and play better you didn't watch fall practice. The coaches went with Mollberg for a reason.

Defense played better esp db's. Labat and Reinke played very well. The young kicker and punter did a good job. Kids played hard and improved from last week. Long way to go.

I agree with all of this, but Jer Garmin has to take a seat and let someone else carry the ball.  He just isn't getting it done.

"...think you could coach". I always love when that one gets dropped. Molberg wasn't sharp, accurate or even efficient. If he "earned" the starting spot in spring/fall camps that is one thing...keeping it during games is different. He wasn't real good last year for most of the games and he hasn't been real good so far in 2 games this year. Bubba had zero confidence in him to make a play in UND's final two series...the play calling was evident.

I agree with all of this, but Jer Garmin has to take a seat and let someone else carry the ball.  He just isn't getting it done.

Rushing through 2 games:

Simmons 26 carries 96 yds 3.7 avg  0 TD

Garman 15 carries 45 yds  3.0 avg 1 TD

Shaugabay 4 carries 44 yds 11.0 avg 0 TD

Mollberg 16 carries 47 yds 2.9 avg 0 TD

"...think you could coach". I always love when that one gets dropped. Molberg wasn't sharp, accurate or even efficient. If he "earned" the starting spot in spring/fall camps that is one thing...keeping it during games is different. He wasn't real good last year for most of the games and he hasn't been real good so far in 2 games this year. Bubba had zero confidence in him to make a play in UND's final two series...the play calling was evident.

Mollberg:  22-41 281 yds 1 TD 1 INT  53.7% completion percentage  through 2 games.   

Wow - it only took two games to bring out the old "have some beers and think you can coach" conversation stopper.  Can the "what's the highest level YOU played at" be far behind?  

I have been impressed by the defense so far - not that I think they can overwhelm a good team, but we have cleaned up a lot of the Muss frustrations - playing hard, tackling, putting on pressure, and attacking.  The offense - not so much.  Not a lot different from the Muss years - an O line that gets little push, reliance on an underweight running back when other options are sitting on the bench, and mediocre quarterback play.  Some of this may be related to talent, but why oh why don't we give other running backs a chance?  Molberg seems to play just well enough in the pre-season to win the job, but has yet to show much in games.  Overall, I think Bartles did a better job last year.  He is young, but there are lots of teams with quarterbacks in their third year with the team that have improved much more.  Apparently he is barely winning his battle with Bartles, but he is losing the battle with his main comparison - the expectations people had when he came.  I know he is hampered by his surrounding talent, but I expected more at this stage.  

There - my opinion and because it is Sunday 2pm I'm not drunk - but this a fan board.  

• Upvote 1

I appreciate yours posts since you are always level headed and full of good insight but I think you may be a little biased to Mollberg. His ability is off the charts but I'm not sure if the mental side of the game is on par. Sure he's only a soph but he's the starting qb and needs to play like it, he's not Joey Bradley. Lazy feet and lack of awareness of when to flick a short pass to an open man and when to rifle one have been his major weaknesses so far. If he can improve those he could be great. It's a long season but he needs to be better as do the OL and WR.
  • Upvote 1

I basically agree with bits and pieces of what you all are saying. Shaugs needs more carries. Garman needs to sit. He goes down way too easily. Mollberg should remain the QB but we need to see the blue chip recruit we all made him out to be. Our OL needs help from somewhere, some how. It was good to see Reineke and Labatt play well. Especially since I ripped Labatt apart last week. I'm not drunk either but I'm going to cut some trees down now. So it might get ugly if I was 18 deep and working a chainsaw.

these were two very bad football teams.  und is no more than a 3 or 4 win team and I hate to think what the likes of montana state, montana and eastern washington will do to this team.  this is a three or four year process to get this thing turned around as you have to filter out mussman's palyers and hope Bubba can recruit.

As Allen Iverson once said...you're talking about practice, man...you're talking about practice. Not the game...but you're talking about practice.
  • Upvote 1

Here is my assessment of this team as is:

Coaching Staff:

I like the direction that this staff is trying to take us.  Its obvious that we lack talent at certain position and we have obvious limitations because of it.  However, I think this staff is making the best out of it.  The kids play hard and try to be physical.  Not a whole lot of quit in them and that is something that couldn't be said last year.

Quarterback:

Mollberg needs to play better.  The physical tools are there.  The mental side of the game needs some drastic improvement.  Too many dumb decisions.  He tries to do more than he is capable of.  He needs to develop some consistency in his game.  

Wideouts:

Losing Galloday was an absolute killer for this group.  I think we all anticipated that would be the case though.  We still have some decent talent and appear to have some young guys that could develop into good players.

Backs:

Terrible.  All around terrible.  Obviously, others may see it differently but, in my opinion, this group is as soft as warm butter.  I'm looking forward to some recruits coming in because these guys are tough to watch.  Soft. Soft. Soft.

Oline:

Lacks talent.  Very very limited in what they can do.  It could be worse, but they have no identity.  Really struggle to generate any sort of push and they aren't athletic.  We need some bruisers up front if we intend to be a team that pounds the rock.  

Dline:

This is not an FCS level group.  We are terribly undersized in the interior and they get pushed around.  We have what appears to be some young talent that might turn out to be pretty good over the next couple years but this group needs some work.  Hopefully that kid from Newtown can come in and make a difference inside for us.

Backers:

Far and away the most impressive positional group on the team.  They play physical and they are pretty athletic.  This group stacks up pretty well against other FCS teams.  Very impressed thus far and next year they should be even better.

Secondary:

Better than previous year but still lacks talent.  We may see some more JUCO guys coming in next year to help out this group.

All in all, if we win 5 games I would be impressed.  We need to recruit size and we need to recruit guys that are physical.  This is a 3-4 year project to get this turned around.

Here is my assessment of this team as is:

Coaching Staff:

I like the direction that this staff is trying to take us. Its obvious that we lack talent at certain position and we have obvious limitations because of it. However, I think this staff is making the best out of it. The kids play hard and try to be physical. Not a whole lot of quit in them and that is something that couldn't be said last year.

Quarterback:

Mollberg needs to play better. The physical tools are there. The mental side of the game needs some drastic improvement. Too many dumb decisions. He tries to do more than he is capable of. He needs to develop some consistency in his game.

Wideouts:

Losing Galloday was an absolute killer for this group. I think we all anticipated that would be the case though. We still have some decent talent and appear to have some young guys that could develop into good players.

Backs:

Terrible. All around terrible. Obviously, others may see it differently but, in my opinion, this group is as soft as warm butter. I'm looking forward to some recruits coming in because these guys are tough to watch. Soft. Soft. Soft.

Oline:

Lacks talent. Very very limited in what they can do. It could be worse, but they have no identity. Really struggle to generate any sort of push and they aren't athletic. We need some bruisers up front if we intend to be a team that pounds the rock.

Dline:

This is not an FCS level group. We are terribly undersized in the interior and they get pushed around. We have what appears to be some young talent that might turn out to be pretty good over the next couple years but this group needs some work. Hopefully that kid from Newtown can come in and make a difference inside for us.

Backers:

Far and away the most impressive positional group on the team. They play physical and they are pretty athletic. This group stacks up pretty well against other FCS teams. Very impressed thus far and next year they should be even better.

Secondary:

Better than previous year but still lacks talent. We may see some more JUCO guys coming in next year to help out this group.

All in all, if we win 5 games I would be impressed. We need to recruit size and we need to recruit guys that are physical. This is a 3-4 year project to get this turned around.

Pretty accurate. I think if the coaches can land an FBS dropdown QB RB and WR things can turn around by next year.

Pretty accurate. I think if the coaches can land an FBS dropdown QB RB and WR things can turn around by next year.

Those groups are important to look at, but not most important, IMO. Let's look for FBS drop-down offensive and defensive linemen. Improvement in the trenches will improve this team the fastest; thankfully I think Bubba realizes this.

Those groups are important to look at, but not most important, IMO. Let's look for FBS drop-down offensive and defensive linemen. Improvement in the trenches will improve this team the fastest; thankfully I think Bubba realizes this.

I think Bubba and staff like their young OL. I say WR and RB and QB because they're harder to find and easier to just plug in and contribute. I do agree that the trenches are and always should be priority #1 from here on out. We just need a game breaker at WR and RB to make defenses worried.

I think Bubba and staff like their young OL. I say WR and RB and QB because they're harder to find and easier to just plug in and contribute. I do agree that the trenches are and always should be priority #1 from here on out. We just need a game breaker at WR and RB to make defenses worried.

Bubba won't play favoritism to the players on the roster like Mussman did. He and his staff will constantly be looking for ways to improve the roster and I think that includes upgrading both lines.

Bubba won't play favoritism to the players on the roster like Mussman did. He and his staff will constantly be looking for ways to improve the roster and I think that includes upgrading both lines.

That was my least favorite part about Mussman and co.... Edwards and others were far and away the best at their positions and didn't start.