SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

Brian Faison:

I give you some Bisonville trolls that say the Big Sky can never go FBS.  If the brain trust of Bisonville says it can't be done, shouldn't we listen to their supposed superior wisdom?   LOL   They question the sanity of any UND fan saying UND should move up.  I guess its because they are so very afraid that it is true.  Gene Taylor left because he didn't want to be part of a FBS Big Sky, which is the only option for NDSU to go FBS. 

Wyobisonman on 2/4/2013:

He is perhaps one of the most stupid posters to ever hit the internet. It is just stunning that he posts such garbage publicly and exposes his lack of a brain. I suspect in school he rode the short bus......then that bus took him to UND to complete his education.

344Johnson (posts here as JohnnyBoy) on 2/4/2014

This starvolleynodak guy is an embarrassment to the state.

SoCalledFan on 8/22/2014:

Oh, Sioux Volley, wow:

"If Fullerton's scheme to use Idaho to gain FBS status works, NDSU will be begging to join the Big Sky.

The first two Big Sky games would likely be scheduled in Grand Forks, 2017 and 2018, 
UND won't have to pay for those games.
NDSU will have to pay in 2019 for UND to come.
The Big Sky wanted NDSU to lay down the axe before coming a member.

UND gets more than what's immediately apparent.

Gene Taylor would never have signed this contract, so he was told by Bresciani that he needed to leave so NDSU could go FBS and get in the Big Sky."

Brian Faison:

I give you some Bisonville trolls that say the Big Sky can never go FBS.  If the brain trust of Bisonville says it can't be done, shouldn't we listen to their supposed superior wisdom?   LOL   They question the sanity of any UND fan saying UND should move up.  I guess its because they are so very afraid that it is true.  Gene Taylor left because he didn't want to be part of a FBS Big Sky, which is the only option for NDSU to go FBS. 

Wyobisonman on 2/4/2013:

He is perhaps one of the most stupid posters to ever hit the internet. It is just stunning that he posts such garbage publicly and exposes his lack of a brain. I suspect in school he rode the short bus......then that bus took him to UND to complete his education.

344Johnson (posts here as JohnnyBoy) on 2/4/2014

This starvolleynodak guy is an embarrassment to the state.

SoCalledFan on 8/22/2014:

Oh, Sioux Volley, wow:

"If Fullerton's scheme to use Idaho to gain FBS status works, NDSU will be begging to join the Big Sky.

The first two Big Sky games would likely be scheduled in Grand Forks, 2017 and 2018, 

UND won't have to pay for those games.

NDSU will have to pay in 2019 for UND to come.

The Big Sky wanted NDSU to lay down the axe before coming a member.

UND gets more than what's immediately apparent.

Gene Taylor would never have signed this contract, so he was told by Bresciani that he needed to leave so NDSU could go FBS and get in the Big Sky."

I do believe that was a quote from you.   The other quotes you provded didnt even touch on your premise. Wow

The quotes you provided were talking about you. Dont see how you think that proved a point.

I do believe that was a quote from you.   The other quotes you provded didnt even touch on your premise. Wow

The quotes you provided were talking about you. Dont see how you think that proved a point.

They never attacked the substance of what I wrote, they attacked me for being a voice of truth and reason and vision.  That's how bisonville rolls.  No facts, but plenty of emotional blowhards.  If any bisonville poster they supports hockey or something associated with UND, they are immediately verbally gang raped.  That's how it rolls down there.  No one can deviate from the standard bisonville line without getting torn apart without a fair hearing.  Its a regular Ferguson down there.

• Upvote 1

JHC!!! 

I just figured out why it takes so freakin' long to get through a drive thru window at fast food joints in the FM area on a fall Saturday. 

There are 17,000 of their workers that must have called in sick and are at the FU dome!!! 

They never attacked the substance of what I wrote, they attacked me for being a voice of truth and reason and vision.  That's how bisonville rolls.  No facts, but plenty of emotional blowhards.  If any bisonville poster they supports hockey or something associated with UND, they are immediately verbally gang raped.  That's how it rolls down there.  No one can deviate from the standard bisonville line without getting torn apart without a fair hearing.  Its a regular Ferguson down there.

:whistling:

Hell SV anything can happen but unless the NCAA starts to change the rules for conference and teams moving to FBS it would be a up hill battle for any FCS conference to move up.  I can see FCS just going away with just one division as a solution to a lot of this mess. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jason Groves@JPGroves 29m

Spoke with Sun Belt commissioner Karl Benson. The conference will re-evaluate NMSU and Idaho in two years

Kind of plays along with Volley's theory.

Should be an interesting couple years, if SV's theory does pan out and NDSU is crawling at the BSC door for an invite BV will have a complete meltdown.

Should be an interesting couple years, if SV's theory does pan out and NDSU is crawling at the BSC door for an invite BV will have a complete meltdown.

Given the changes that have taken place in college football in the last five years alone, his theory is not crazy. It would be hilarious to see that meltdown!

what is the volley man theory

The first post of the thread:

In another thread, I layed out how the Big Sky can obtain FBS status through Idaho and the Sun Belt. Naturally, bisonville went ballistic, so bison trolls are not welcome to comment. But would it be good for UND if the Big Sky went FBS?

An Big Sky FBS with:

Montana

Montana St

Idaho

E Wash

Portland St

Sac St

UC Davis

Cal Poly

UND

New Mexico St

Maybe Weber St or NAU

Idaho St, SUU, NC can stay FCS with San Diego and maybe Weber St and NAU

If UND went FBS, we need to at least qualify on an attendance basis during the transition. That wouldn't be so easy. Obviously, we'd need some facility improvements. The IPF helps, but a stadium with 17,000 is a must. Averaging 15,000 is possible with even a bad season, as the Foundation can buy up tickets at a 1/3rd of the price and it would count.

If went FBS, think we could get Minnesota in a 2 for 1. Maybe ever play the home game in the Vikings stadium. That would be a big money game in the Cities with a lot of exposure. Could schedule the MAC or Sun Belt teams in a home and home. Money games against Big Ten schools would no longer be verboten if we were FBS. 

Recruiting, we could be the 2nd team after Minnesota and Wisconsin after the state schools there. NDSU and SDSU can't be FBS unless they join the Big Sky because no other conference wants them. 

The Big Sky would need some bowl games. The Vikings stadium would be ideal: Big Sky vs MAC. If UND qualified, that could be 30,000 against NIU or Toledo. The Seahawks stadium would also be ideal for the Big Sky: could play MWC teams like Montana vs Wyoming or E Wash vs Boise St.

Its critical that UND football gets turned around if FBS is ever in the plans. To me, FCS just won't work for anybody but the bison. That's why school are scrambling to get out. There hasn't been a peep out of Montana, yet they have even said FCS is a losing proposition. 

Spoke with Sun Belt commissioner Karl Benson. The conference will re-evaluate NMSU and Idaho in two years

Kind of plays along with Volley's theory.

Of course the Big Sky Deputy Commissioner was on the McFeely show today and was asked about going FBS, and he said he didn't know why anybody in the FBS would want to go FBS. McFeely also asked about the BSC giong FBS and he said there were no discussions about it. But I know, he's not plugged in like SiouxVolley is.  

Question 1:

Why would a Bison-rube like McFeely, on the radio home of the Bison, have a Big Sky official on as a guest at all? Why not a MVFC or Summit or Western Wresting Conference official; why not an official from a conference NDSU is affiliated with?

Question 2:

How do you know a conference official is being "less than forthcoming"?*

*Their lips are moving. :D

• Upvote 2

Of course the Big Sky Deputy Commissioner was on the McFeely show today and was asked about going FBS, and he said he didn't know why anybody in the FBS would want to go FBS. McFeely also asked about the BSC giong FBS and he said there were no discussions about it. But I know, he's not plugged in like SiouxVolley is.

Of course going FBS now is not attractive especially for BSC teams unless there is an invite for the MW or PAC 12. SV's theory along with Fullerton's idea of a conference move up doesn't appear on the radar for at least a few years or so and at the rate college football is changing it may come true.

Question 1:

Why would a Bison-rube like McFeely, on the radio home of the Bison, have a Big Sky official on as a guest at all? Why not a MVFC or Summit or Western Wresting Conference official; why not an official from a conference NDSU is affiliated with?

Question 2:

McFeely sucks. Not that I think anything conference officials say at this point in time is really worth the time spent listening to it.... But he sucks especially.

• Upvote 1

you do wonder when the next shoe is gonna drop which starts this all over again...you know big 10 is gonna target north carolina and maybe kansas which means the acc would have to add and then the big 12 would have to add someone too and it starts again...i don't think the mwc is as stable as most people think bc i think boise state is still wanting bigger and better things than the mwc (which is why peterson probably left for uw finally)....i just know that montana, montana state, idaho, and north dakota are a nice start to maybe something bigger and better down the line?

you do wonder when the next shoe is gonna drop which starts this all over again...you know big 10 is gonna target north carolina and maybe kansas which means the acc would have to add and then the big 12 would have to add someone too and it starts again...i don't think the mwc is as stable as most people think bc i think boise state is still wanting bigger and better things than the mwc (which is why peterson probably left for uw finally)....i just know that montana, montana state, idaho, and north dakota are a nice start to maybe something bigger and better down the line?

The ACC and the Big 12 schools have all granted rights to their broadcasts to their conferences for the next 10 years.  That means that no one can move from the ACC or Big 12 until those are up.  The Big 10 and the SEC both want a Virginia and NC school to expand their footprint.  When those grants of rights expire, it could get interesting.

If someone moves now, it might be the American / CUSA / MWC over the next several years.   Boise St has kind of lost its luster, and that  might be why Peterson left.  Otherwise, it will be FCS schools positioning for FBS.

A deputy conference commissioner would not say anything if he wants to keep his job.  The Big Sky is awaiting new FBS rules, especially in the Idaho case.  The NCAA is vulnerable to be sued by Idaho if Idaho cant stay FBS because of conference realignment.  The NCAA knows it and will open up a loophole for FCS conferences that have a FBS member.  The Colonial may use UMass and Army for the same purpose, to give schools like Delaware, JMU, Towson, Stony Brook, and Albany a shot at FBS.

Given the changes that have taken place in college football in the last five years alone, his theory is not crazy. It would be hilarious to see that meltdown!

Sure, changes could happen that would allow fcs conferences to join a changed fbs. But the big sky would have no more ability to move than any other fcs conference. Sv's whole lifelong goals is to screw over ndsu, and his judgement is clearly impared. Someday he will be featured on svu, and well know the whole story. Dude is scary imo.

I agree with you about the MWC potentially losing Boise..possibly even San Diego State.  I can see New Mexico State joining the MWC and possibly the Montanas and Idaho/Portland State.  (They would want Montana and be forced to take Montana State as part of the deal.)  I don't see any North Dakota options.  

The next two years are going to be critical to the survival of the MWC and strong FCS programs.   When, not if, the Power 5 starts paying players, allowing players to transfer one time without penalty, get agents before graduation, etc, is going to turn the divide between them and the lower FBS schools from a creek to the Mississippi River.  

Here in Fort Collins, CSU is desperately trying to get a 40,000+ on campus stadium initiative to happen, in an obvious attempt to join a Power 5 conference.  If it happens, they have a slim chance.  If it doesn't, they have no chance. 

Bottom line, if you want to hang with the big dogs, it's going to take big $$$.  All the wins in the world over FBS opponents does not matter if you won't cough up the dough.  To buy in to the next level has a lot to do with changing the mindset of the University, the alumni, and the community.   

Question 1:

Not sure if serious, but it's because McFeely is in Ogden, Utah for the Weber State game and Ogden is the home of the Big Sky Conference.

Here's the interview if you want to draw your own opinions on what he said(17 min):

http://kfgo.com/podcasts/mike-mcfeely-show/983/ron-loghry/

Question 1:

Question 2:

McFeely as a Bison-rube?  LOL.  DUDE HATES NDSU.  So does Heitkamp.  They are UND guys through and through.