SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

I get where you're going: shut them all down but the oldest, first University in the territory, the one started six years before statehood, 1883. Right? ;)

ok better example Iowa, but for population Wyoming is closer, im not 100% but I think ND has nearly 45-50% more population and 90% more of State Schools?

I didnt intend it for smack

Any remarks made by NDSU toward the MSU AD were well deserved. Sure, you can easily buy out a game by enacting a buying clause, but you don't do that unless you are classless. Would UND buyout a USD or SDSU game? No, you don't do those sort of things to a school within your group of peer institutions. Sure you can, but you don't. Und would get BBQ'd in SD for a move like that, as did MSU in ND.

MSU probably will remember the NDSU reaction, and I know NDSU fans will remember the MSU decision. It did kinda worked itself out though, with Karma tanking the MSU 2013 season.

Oh the disgrace of Montana State 86'ing a date with the Bison. That would never happen to schools like Notre Dame and Michigan, would it? I mean, can you imagine one school's AD simply being handed an envelope before a game which, when opened a day later, revealed the intention of ending the rivalry?

I'm not going to carry the water for the Bobcats here, but by buying out the Bison game, MSU was able to add in a 6th home game as well as a trip to Dallas TX to play SMU - as opposed to making two trips to eastern North Dakota.

ok better example Iowa, but for population Wyoming is closer, im not 100% but I think ND has nearly 45-50% more population and 90% more of State Schools?

I didnt intend it for smack

It would have been interesting if North Dakota, and even South Dakota, would have taken on the system set up by Wyoming. One, maybe two state universities. None of the small four year schools scattered throughout the states. Maybe they would have ended up competing on an even playing field with Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin in football or basketball? Maybe UND would have grown into a school of 25 to 30,000 by now? Memorial Stadium would have 40,000 seats? Grand Forks may have been 100,000 or so?

We need to build a way-back machine and make some changes! :lol:

I'm not going to carry the water for the Bobcats here, but by buying out the Bison game, MSU was able to add in a 6th home game as well as a trip to Dallas TX to play SMU - as opposed to making two trips to eastern North Dakota.

Gee what schools fanbase is always screaming for that presicous 6th home game? Hmmmm.

• Upvote 1

Oh the disgrace of Montana State 86'ing a date with the Bison. That would never happen to schools like Notre Dame and Michigan, would it? I mean, can you imagine one school's AD simply being handed an envelope before a game which, when opened a day later, revealed the intention of ending the rivalry?

Don't compare the Notre Dame Michigan game to a major rivalry. Bigger ones with Navy, Stanford, USC, Purdue, and Michigan State.

Don't compare the Notre Dame Michigan game to a major rivalry. Bigger ones with Navy, Stanford, USC, Purdue, and Michigan State.

I realize that they have played more often, but it's hard to call the Notre Dame/Navy game a "rivalry" when one side of it has won 74 out of the 87 games played in its history.

If you're playing the "total meetings" card, surely you can't rank Stanford/Notre Dame (28 meetings) ahead of Michigan/Notre Dame (41 meetings), can you?

Oh, wait...now it all makes sense. One of these things is not like the other ones. It's only a "rivalry" if Notre Dame is actually LEADING in the all-time series record. Cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame!

I realize that they have played more often, but it's hard to call the Notre Dame/Navy game a "rivalry" when one side of it has won 74 out of the 87 games played in its history.

If you're playing the "total meetings" card, surely you can't rank Stanford/Notre Dame (28 meetings) ahead of Michigan/Notre Dame (41 meetings), can you?

Oh, wait...now it all makes sense. One of these things is not like the other ones. It's only a "rivalry" if Notre Dame is actually LEADING in the all-time series record. Cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame!

The Michigan game has only been annual since 02. Also kudos to Michigan for winning 8 games in a row in the late 1800s and early 1900's!

That's pretty much what happened to Mizzou and Kansas, except Kansas told Missou since you're leaving the Big 12 we're not going to play you anymore.

So my question is this, if and this is a big if, the big sky splits and half go fbs, do you really believe NDSU would beg the sky to join, or do you believe the sky would beg NDSU to join??? NDSU is already d1 in everything else. It only makes sense to have Montana and NDSU as front runners for such a move in football.

I thought North Dakota was outside the conference footprint and travel costs were too high for other teams. Unlikely these teams would want to travel to ND twice.

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting tweets from National Collegiate Sportswriter Bryan Fischer:

https://twitter.com/BryanDFischer

.@NCAAResearch says revenues at FBS schools grew 83.2% the past 10 years. Expenses grew by 114.6%.

The same goes for D1 schools without football, no department had revenue exceed expenses in 2013.

According to the NCAA, no FCS athletic department made money in 2013.

Per @NCAAResearch, gap between median Power 5 total revenues and median of other FBS total revenue in 2013 was $54.7 million.

Makes you wonder why schools are in a hurry to move up to the FBS (cough, cough App St cough, cough). Also that last tweet shows the gap and the reason why the p5 wants to get further away from them. 

Wonder what numbers they are using.  The USA Today report shows UND had a profit of $83K with Revenues of $22.2 million and expenses of $22.1 million.  The Office of Postsecondary Education says that UND broke dead even with $20.4 million in expenses and revenues.  No clue why the numbers are off by so much or what they actually measure. 

Again, accounting for college athletics is nowhere near an exact science and I'd be curious how many of those FBS teams made money because they are able to count institutional support and student fees as "revenues".

Wonder what numbers they are using.  The USA Today report shows UND had a profit of $83K with Revenues of $22.2 million and expenses of $22.1 million.  The Office of Postsecondary Education says that UND broke dead even with $20.4 million in expenses and revenues.  No clue why the numbers are off by so much or what they actually measure. 

Again, accounting for college athletics is nowhere near an exact science and I'd be curious how many of those FBS teams made money because they are able to count institutional support and student fees as "revenues".

I would love to see specifics on who made money, who didn't, was it just football, etc.  We have seen schools struggle with balancing the books and think about dropping football. St. Cloud State, Portland State, and now Hawaii, but even that isn't the answer.

I would love to see specifics on who made money, who didn't, was it just football, etc. We have seen schools struggle with balancing the books and think about dropping football. St. Cloud State, Portland State, and now Hawaii, but even that isn't the answer.

Hawaii's AD has now backpedalled from those remarks.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/08/ncaa_study_finds_all_but_20_fb.html

So all but 20 FBS schools lose money on athletics. And they want to take on more costs via "full cost" scholarships and stipends? Clearly academics, and not real-world business people, are running those places.

take it for what its worth but Faison on Sioux sports extra hinted on some changes that are coming down the pipeline and there will be obstacles for some teams

and said that the UND AD will have to take a look at itself also

said by the 2019 game don't expect anything to be where it is at now with conference alignment

he said something about pac 12

take it for what its worth but Faison on Sioux sports extra hinted on some changes that are coming down the pipeline and there will be obstacles for some teams

and said that the UND AD will have to take a look at itself also

said by the 2019 game don't expect anything to be where it is at now with conference alignment

he said something about pac 12

Well we know UND won't be in the PAC 12, could UND be in an FBS conference resembling the PAC 12 (size wise)? Obstacles could be the Alerus, as their contract does end on Feb 13, 2019.  New stadium? New conference? FBS?  SiouxVolley's FBS theory coming true?