SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring time for Bubba and UND

geaux_sioux

The Spring prospectus is out - seems that other than the expected guys gone that Kodee Varner is also no longer with the team. Only 4 CB's listed, including one who was a walkon punter last year. Need some help back there!

Wayne Nelson had a tweet that Varner has transferred to Rocky Mountain Community College.

All those moves make sense. Butler is gonna be one fast OLB.

you would think that with all that has happened that a guy like butler would FINALLY see the field in the secondary and then Bubba goes and moves him to olb....in bubba we trust!!!!

you would think that with all that has happened that a guy like butler would FINALLY see the field in the secondary and then Bubba goes and moves him to olb....in bubba we trust!!!!

Both starting OLBs from last season (Bennett and Finley) are gone. Butler at OLB will likely give him that playing time he deserves, perhaps even a starting spot. Safety spots will likely go to Carr and Reyes, or possibly JUCO signee Chris Hannible.

I think Butler is the kind of player that needs to be on the field a lot for the defense to be successful. He has the frame and athleticism to make a very good OLB.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/football-unds-spring-practices-heavy-tackling-blocking

I firmly believe that fundamentals must be reinforced, but given the dismal results recently I have to wonder how solid these guys were to start with. Spending a little time each day in position breakouts is one thing, but the level of time and attention being paid to this tells me Bubba must be thinking this is a big problem.

http://www.grandfork...ckling-blocking

I firmly believe that fundamentals must be reinforced, but given the dismal results recently I have to wonder how solid these guys were to start with. Spending a little time each day in position breakouts is one thing, but the level of time and attention being paid to this tells me Bubba must be thinking this is a big problem.

Did you watch the team the past couple years? The coaches watched those same games and obviously deemed it necessary to start from scratch with these guys. From what I have heard, they felt it necessary to even work on "stance" with some players. That is how unsound these kids were in technique, tackling, etc. I am all for it.

Did you watch the team the past couple years? The coaches watched those same games and obviously deemed it necessary to start from scratch with these guys. From what I have heard, they felt it necessary to even work on "stance" with some players. That is how unsound these kids were in technique, tackling, etc. I am all for it.

Oh, don't misunderstand, I am all for it if the staff deems it necessary (they obviously do). The question that comes to my mind though, is there must be a significant amount of what Bubba would probably deem as recruiting "misses" in there. Should you really have to put division 1 football players through remedial classes of football 101 with day 1 class starting with "stance". And tomorrow we are gonna learn how to "tackle"?

Muss really screwed the pooch. If Bubba takes this team to the upper half of the conference this year he should be coach of the year.

Bubba is going to whip these boys into shape, the party days of Muss is gone, now it's time to work. Last years team was embarrassing to watch from a fan standpoint and with 2000 people for the last game of the year no one wanted to watch this "circus" of a team. Bubba brings a work ethic that Muss didn't have. I have a better feeling of this team compared to last year at this time. At least after game one we can see how the team really is playing an FBS team compared to playing a non-scholarship team like Valpo.

If anything, I think the general change in philosophy will be the one thing that allows UND football to be successful again.

Having a Wisconsin alum coach up the O-line and an offensive coordinator who wants to run the football and use play-action off of that is key. It will both help our defense with improved time of possession and keep our turnovers down. Not to mention it will best utilize our recruiting pipelines and allow us to "out-physical" the more finesse teams of the Big Sky.

Add in the desire to pressure and "get after it" on defense, and the defense should hopefully improve and get more takeaways.

All in all, the philosophy that Bubba Schweigert is implementing will lead UND to more success. Why Mussman ever thought a pass-happy offense and conservative 3-4 defense would be successful, I'll never know.

It's called fundamentals and all football teams should work on it at every practice.

correct me if I am wrong here, wasn't there a lot more media coverage through the spring practices last year. I seem to recall watching practice updates all the time. mostly the "epic quarterback battle" and the "best receiving corps in FCS" which were so hyped. Would Bubba be controlling how much media coverage goes on the nightly sports? just curious.

correct me if I am wrong here, wasn't there a lot more media coverage through the spring practices last year. I seem to recall watching practice updates all the time. mostly the "epic quarterback battle" and the "best receiving corps in FCS" which were so hyped. Would Bubba be controlling how much media coverage goes on the nightly sports? just curious.

Incorrect. UNDsports.com has covered each practice quite extensively. Last year's disappointing season (thanks Mussman) has killed the media interest, not Bubba. When people see the results over the next few seasons, everything will change.

Incorrect. UNDsports.com has covered each practice quite extensively. Last year's disappointing season (thanks Mussman) has killed the media interest, not Bubba. When people see the results over the next few seasons, everything will change.

my question on media coverage was focused on TV and news paper converage. I agree that the UNDsports.com does a great job covering the spring season. jmho