SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring time for Bubba and UND

geaux_sioux

Stetson Carr, senior safety Baylee Carr's brother, is also competing at QB. Realistically however, it likely comes down to Mollberg and Bartels again.

Oh, yeah; forgot about him. Wonder if Palandech will give the two favorites much of a run; haven't heard much about him.

I have the feeling that trying to judge any results this spring will be a lost cause. Going to be a lot of growing pains. I do like that the team has the opinion that Bubba and staff are more focused and organized. I also liked that the running backs are doing new drills and liking their new leadership in that position.

We have a long way to go but the ship seems to be pointed in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

This team will already be improved next season, so in that way, there won't be any growing pains. However, by improved, I don't mean a winning season or playoffs. Last years 3-8 season was an embarrassment; that won't happen this year and we'll get 4 to 6 wins. It may take a couple years for playoffs though.

• Upvote 1

Anyone else think it's odd how we are talking about the poor offense and not poor defense. We have talked about poor defense since early in the GWFC days, our offense hasn't been stellar except 2012 but that's because we threw the ball like the 1984 Miami Dolphins. Trying to switch to a more running attack is going to take time and lots of tweaking in the OL. This team doesn't have a game for 4 months. That's a lot of time to start improving on run blocking, so just 10 practices is not going to give us a 2000 yard rusher. Be patient!!!

So right now UND has nine OL, and of that group one is a senior who has been a NG prior to this spring, three are redshirt freshmen who have not played a down yet, and another is coming off an entire season lost to very serious illness. Count me as unsurprised that things are not looking good right now. And as much as I realize it doesn't help matters to do so, I am having a hard time not being ticked off at the previous regime for leaving the cupboard this bare.

• Upvote 1

... I am having a hard time not being ticked off at the previous regime for leaving the cupboard this bare.

And remember: the head of the previous regime was an offensive lineman. How he could let that happen is unfathomable.

• Upvote 2

And remember: the head of the previous regime was an offensive lineman. How he could let that happen is unfathomable.

That's the thing I just can't understand. Some have offered excuses for Muss, but it's the current state of the OL, and really the state of the OL the past few years, that's the most compelling argument as to why he had to go. There's just no good excuse for the total rebuilding job he left considering this is his alleged area of expertise.

That's the thing I just can't understand. Some have offered excuses for Muss, but it's the current state of the OL, and really the state of the OL the past few years, that's the most compelling argument as to why he had to go. There's just no good excuse for the total rebuilding job he left considering this is his alleged area of expertise.

I guess that's what happens when you take a big dumb lineman and make him a head coach!! He becomes a bid dumb head coach!! :)

• Upvote 3

How long until you start the "Fire Bubba" thread to "keep it out of the gameday threads"?

Seeing I waited until 2011 to start one lets see how Bubba has done with the team through 2016 and into 2017 to see if he can turn the Muss !@#$ show around.

• Upvote 1

Sure doesn't seem like the athletic department is doing much to build up any excitment for the spring game this Saturday. I realize they already announced they can't actually hold a game/scrimmage because of lack of OL and DBs but they should at least be trying to build on previous years when they had BBQ competitions, local restaurants tailgating, live music etc.

For those who think that the football players need to put in on your own work. I can guarentee that a lot, especially the younger FR guys have put in a lot of work. I see Norberg, Wharton, Reyes, Meindel, Williams, Rattelle and Bridges plus others at Wellness all the time lifting or playing basketball. The younger guys are definatly putting in the work and coincedently I don't see alot of the older guys, i see Walker, Henson, Cummings now and than but thats about it.

For those who think that the football players need to put in on your own work. I can guarentee that a lot, especially the younger FR guys have put in a lot of work. I see Norberg, Wharton, Reyes, Meindel, Williams, Rattelle and Bridges plus others at Wellness all the time lifting or playing basketball. The younger guys are definatly putting in the work and coincedently I don't see alot of the older guys, i see Walker, Henson, Cummings now and than but thats about it.

To me Reyes is the guy I am most excited to see, he is a guy that could be a face of this team for the next few years. It is nice to hear rumblings around that the younger players are stepping up into somewhat of a leadership role in certain areas as that is huge in my opinion. I am taking offense for a grain of salt right now because it is all new termanology and they probably have a couple starting OL transferring in for fall semester but that Safety position in paticular I am hearing consistently good things about. That is so damn refreshing to me.

I am starting to see some of the punch you in the mouth defense we have been missing and that is what I am mostly taking out of this spring. The fact the Bubba has gotten the buy in from a lot of the players makes this a successful spring regardless of the outcome.

To me Reyes is the guy I am most excited to see, he is a guy that could be a face of this team for the next few years. It is nice to hear rumblings around that the younger players are stepping up into somewhat of a leadership role in certain areas as that is huge in my opinion. I am taking offense for a grain of salt right now because it is all new termanology and they probably have a couple starting OL transferring in for fall semester but that Safety position in paticular I am hearing consistently good things about. That is so damn refreshing to me.

I am starting to see some of the punch you in the mouth defense we have been missing and that is what I am mostly taking out of this spring. The fact the Bubba has gotten the buy in from a lot of the players makes this a successful spring regardless of the outcome.

And to be fair a lot of these younger guys were doing this during Mussman's time here at the beginning of the season but the numbers just seem to be up in terms of consistency for a lot of the guys. Also it is a lot more defensive players coming in on there own don't know if there is something there but they seen to definatly be buying into the new philosophy.

And to be fair a lot of these younger guys were doing this during Mussman's time here at the beginning of the season but the numbers just seem to be up in terms of consistency for a lot of the guys. Also it is a lot more defensive players coming in on there own don't know if there is something there but they seen to definatly be buying into the new philosophy.

Honestly, we were recruiting the right kids, but if you don't teach them the fundamentals it doesn't matter. I think that teaching these kids the simple parts of the game have allowed them to grow as players because they can trust their instincts more instead of always worrying about something. Teaching them proper footwork and tackling techniques goes a long way for a player like Reyes who is already quick and can hit hard.

Stetson Carr, senior safety Baylee Carr's brother, is also competing at QB. Realistically however, it likely comes down to Mollberg and Bartels again.

does Carr have to sit a year, I thought he was on the team at Bismarck last year?

This was pointed out above but I feel it needs to be asked again. Has anyone seen any promotion for the spring game? I have seen nothing from UND or the Herald and even though we are short on numbers (O line) they should still be promoting the new staff, new beginning, etc. Anything that can be spun in a positive way really.

I am curious if there will be a live stream again like last year as well.