SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring time for Bubba and UND

geaux_sioux

Hopefully it's all good news and it's been a much needed improvement from last year.

I swung by and saw a bit.

1st D looked very good. Can tell this is Bubba's brainchild as there are some new wrinkles and it was back to an attacking D. After 1st D it was bad, however.

Concepts on O looked good. Definitely some pieces missing.

1st D looked very good. Can tell this is Bubba's brainchild as there are some new wrinkles and it was back to an attacking D. After 1st D it was bad, however.

I don't expect this team to win a conference title but I hope there is some improvements in every aspect of the game. If the defense gets more solid but the offense is lagging then that is something to address next season. It's just like RT did in the mid 80's and it took awhile but it was worth the wait.

Who was in the first unit for d? How are the fr looking?

Just had an emergency call with good ole boys

D looked ok

Offense looked like crap

O couldn't open up a line for the rb

Mil berg took most reps

Schmidt very good coach. Future good ole boy

So either our run defense is going to be good or we are going to be chucking the pigskin a lot.

After watching the practice today I am going to start the "Bring back Coach Lotysz" campaign! I realize the defense is usually ahead of the offense but wow, the offense was bad and it starts with the line. They didn't run block worth a crap and they were worse than that at pass blocking. I think one pass was completed and they may have netted 1 total rushing yard. If we can't move the ball against our defense (and they can't be that good), then it's going to be a long season! I have my own opinions about the o-line and that revolves around strength. I don't think Baukol does enough upper body work with lineman. Hopefully some eyes were opened today!

After watching the practice today I am going to start the "Bring back Coach Lotysz" campaign! I realize the defense is usually ahead of the offense but wow, the offense was bad and it starts with the line. They didn't run block worth a crap and they were worse than that at pass blocking. I think one pass was completed and they may have netted 1 total rushing yard. If we can't move the ball against our defense (and they can't be that good), then it's going to be a long season! I have my own opinions about the o-line and that revolves around strength. I don't think Baukol does enough upper body work with lineman. Hopefully some eyes were opened today!

You realize the offensive is not very good, right? Plus they only have 7-8 of them total. They need better OL across the board.

No matter what Baukol has them doing they need to do extra on their own. Why do you think Rattele is such a beast? He lifts on his own all the time in addition to with the team.

Coach Knuaf is a former Wisconsin Badger - he'll get the offensive line where it needs to be. Would help to have a bigger RB too. All in all, the OL is short on talent. Thankfully, there will be additions come this fall (both JUCOs and freshmen).

As far as the defense goes, don't sleep on Coach Schmidt and the new philosophy of this team. The defense could make a turnaround quicker than you think. Personally, I believe having a solid defense is better than having a solid offense, if you can only have one or the other. Defense wins championships.

This post is a joke right? Just trying to get people going? Because there's no possible way you can seriously come to this conclusion after 10 practices of spring practice with the new OL coach. No possible way. I know you arent that stupid. Thanks for the humor.

No matter what Baukol has them doing they need to do extra on their own. Why do you think Rattele is such a beast? He lifts on his own all the time in addition to with the team.

if he lifts on his own....that is a glaring statement to not doing enough....it's D1 football...they should have everything scheduled and planned to not cause players lifting on their own

if he lifts on his own....that is a glaring statement to not doing enough....it's D1 football...they should have everything scheduled and planned to not cause players lifting on their own

This isn't true at all...in fact it is down right humerous. An athlete going above and beyond has nothing to do with not lifting enough as a team. I expect athletes to be doing this on their own on top of the team side.

BS. Ray Lewis used to do thousands of push-ups and sit ups in his dorm when he was at Miami and they are well known for developing pros. Another example is Anthony Munoz. He would run about five miles a day besides the team lifts. I can go on and on.

My point was that "lifting" not extra conditioning etc should be tailored to the individual with specific rest times etc.....they all should be "going the extra mile" pushing to the brink......if he isnt pushed to the brink....the strength staff isnt pushing him enough during training sessions. Extra technique.....extra cardio etc is understood but extra lifts? He should be pushed to his limit by his taylored program......wasn't implying players shouldn't go the extra mile.....just saying that if a guy is lifting on off days etc.....he isnt being pushed hard enough with his program....I realize time constraints etc can play into that. Wasn't meant to knock anyone.

My point was that "lifting" not extra conditioning etc should be tailored to the individual with specific rest times etc.....they all should be "going the extra mile" pushing to the brink......if he isnt pushed to the brink....the strength staff isnt pushing him enough during training sessions. Extra technique.....extra cardio etc is understood but extra lifts? He should be pushed to his limit by his taylored program......wasn't implying players shouldn't go the extra mile.....just saying that if a guy is lifting on off days etc.....he isnt being pushed hard enough with his program....I realize time constraints etc can play into that. Wasn't meant to knock anyone.

As someone who has actually been through Baukols program I can assure you that it is more than effective.

I lift 6 days a week and I know some guys who go twice a day every day. The reason you have to do it on your own time is because of off days. These guys have lifted for years and are told a training program as well. They can do this unsupervised for some of the time with the experience they have. A coach is providing guidance not showing them how to do it. That was my point.

This post is a joke right? Just trying to get people going? Because there's no possible way you can seriously come to this conclusion after 10 practices of spring practice with the new OL coach. No possible way. I know you arent that stupid. Thanks for the humor.

Half joking, half serious.......that group looked bad. And why couldn't I come to that conclusion after 10 practices? The run game had negative yards in the scrimmage. And you are right....not as stupid as you.

Half joking, half serious.......that group looked bad. And why couldn't I come to that conclusion after 10 practices? The run game had negative yards in the scrimmage. And you are right....not as stupid as you.

If those stats you quote are accurate, they speak volumes to how good the offense is or isn't.

So you heard it here first folks. O-line coach needs to go and the offense and OC are on watch alert after 10 spring ball practices. Offense looked terrible in the first live scrimmage of spring ball and had negative rushing yards. Any other variables regarding loss of personnel, coaching staff change and philosophical change in general on offense need not apply. And Chicken Little has been to every practice and watched all the tape of the offense.

So what are we looking for in spring ball? Obviously the QB battle and I guess we can see Patrick Sharp a little more. Anything else?

I was watching the news last night and it looks like they have 5 QB's battling for a job.