SiouxSports.com Forum

Tamboleavi

Frozen4sioux

First off, for those of you who think the Dub is a walk in the park you are clearly mistaken, however he may be playing with some skilled players. Also, most of you are correct that the players are younger. I am a huge backer of college hockey but to stay the WHL is a step down is 100% false. That league is absolutely littered with talent. Let the so called expert posters attempt to bash my comment now.

Also, style of play and linemates may have a lot to do with this.

CHL has great players, probably more top-end talent than NCAA, although there are definitely top end talent guys in NCAA too, just more in CHL.

NCAA will be deeper with that next tier of player though, especially the older and bigger and stronger players and the late bloomers.

I am guessing that it was all about fit with Tambellini. Sometimes the player is great and the program is great, they just aren't great together.

Agree on your last sentence however there are more 19 and 20 year olds in that league. I don't believe there are any 15 year olds in the Dub. When players are granted exceptional player status (ohl) they typically are sure fire a top 3 NHL pick....that's talent that doesn't come around college (anymore).

They did in 2006...skinny, underage kid from Winnipeg, played at Shattuck, it rains gold medals on him when he plays international, and he had his name on the cup twice by 25...

CHL has great players, probably more top-end talent than NCAA, although there are definitely top end talent guys in NCAA too, just more in CHL.

NCAA will be deeper with that next tier of player though, especially the older and bigger and stronger players and the late bloomers.

I am guessing that it was all about fit with Tambellini. Sometimes the player is great and the program is great, they just aren't great together.

Agree 100%. Also, it appears that Calgary team is good.

They did in 2006...skinny, underage kid from Winnipeg, played at Shattuck, it rains gold medals on him when he plays international, and he had his name on the cup twice by 25...

Haha check the parentheses....I knew I'd catch someone half sleeping.

Toews was an exception in the college world... lots of b-sheet on twitter on who develops better, whl or college. This may still be up for debate, but what isn't is whether or not bailing on your team mid-season is.

Yup it appears the CHL has generated more top NHL players while tons of college players make it. But bailing on your team is a joke. His excuse for leaving (that he wanted to have more if an offensive role) sealed it for me. Kid was probably babied his entire life. If you cannot be a good college player you will never even be a role player in the NHL. If his reason was solely that he wanted to play more game or did not want to go to school then I'm fine with it. Either way he couldn't play in Hak's system anyway.

IMO, "systems" or "styles of play" have only a little bit to do with this.

He's playing against younger players in a league where there is a lot less parity than in college hockey. He'll obviously score a ton more points up there against youngsters on some crappy teams.

If that makes him feel better about himself, to see some higher numbers on his stat line, then I guess he got what he wanted by leaving.

That said, it's still shows an incredible lack of respect and maturity to bail on your teammates mid-season.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure he had a ride, so this probably freed up a ton of scholarship $.

The kid was not a fit - it clearly wasn't working for him or the team...very little production. This will work out best for all involved, although I don't think well ever see Adam in an NHL uniform barring a miracle in development.

It's really tough to make the NHL. Tougher yet to be a scorer. With his frame, I have to think he should've been developing his two way game and doing everything to be a bottom sixer. Gym, diet, grinding...

He's a 3rd rounder. If you think about there being 8 roster non-scoring line forwards per NHL team, that's 240 jobs. Considering you have a few guys 18-20, a ton of 21-33, and a few 34+ year olds in the league, there isn't a lot of room if you aren't among the very, very best in your age. Being a third rounder, you are already behind 60 some other guys, and behind maybe 30 non top 6 projects just in your draft class...he'll be 20 in November...

• Upvote 1

A little insight on Tambellini's decision

Over the holidays when Tambellini was debating his hockey future with his family, he liked the possibility of playing with the Hitmen because of the right level of comfortability with the organization.

“Things were moving a little slow (in North Dakota),” said the New York Rangers prospect. “We thought the right decision was to play more games, and the ability to come to an organization like Calgary is truly exciting.

“I kind of singled out Calgary as the one place I wanted to come to. With the level of comfortability and a really strong team, I thought I’d fit in well here and hopefully can get to the Memorial Cup with the Hitmen.”

He’s friends with a number of players on the squad, including Greg Chase who Tambellini considers a great friend.

http://www.hitmenhockey.com/article/similar-situation-for-tambellini

Unless Tambo has a steep growing up curve, he'll still be in the CHL when he "ages" out. Then he can do some ECHL/AHL time as he tries to get to the NHL. Leaving in the middle of the year shows a huge lack of maturity.

Agree on your last sentence however there are more 19 and 20 year olds in that league. I don't believe there are any 15 year olds in the Dub. When players are granted exceptional player status (ohl) they typically are sure fire a top 3 NHL pick....that's talent that doesn't come around college (anymore).

I know. I think 15 year olds are limited to 5 games anyway. But there's still a huge difference in physical maturity between 19/20 and 22/23/24; just looking at the Herald pictures from MacWilliam's freshman season shows that.

I just can't understand the thinking to jump ship mid-season... Team sport, and he just showed what kind of "teammate" he is - that should bite him in the butt soon enough.

Down another fwd, I really wonder what it'll take to get Chyzyk's issues resolved, if he's even got a chance of coming back without going the full-Frattin route?

Rumor has it Frattin was brought back partly because coaching staff was desperate for some offense.....not 100% sure on truth to that, but sounds right.

Rumor has it Frattin was brought back partly because coaching staff was desperate for some offense.....not 100% sure on truth to that, but sounds right.

And apparently that was a big mistake on the part of the coaches because Frattin clearly hadn't cleaned up his act and re-dedicated himself to his craft. Nor was he a good teammate or citizen when he returned.
  • Upvote 2