SiouxSports.com Forum

Tamboleavi

Frozen4sioux

Exactly, Frattin didn't have much of senior season so obviously jumping ship after an entire semester is understandable... :glare:

Honestly, I was upset at first but the more we hear from Hakstol, the team, and now Tambellini I'm so glad he's no longer part of this team. There's no room for the "what can you do for me" attitude, especially on this team.

The problem I have with Hakstol though is if the kid has this type of character, the odds are pretty good that he would have showed it prior to this. You don't just turn into a self centered individual overnight. The fact that this kid left (as well as some of the other guys who have bailed on us recently) make me wonder if the coaches are selling out a bit for the sake of talent but not doing as good job of looking into their character. I don't believe that all these guys suddenly just changed their attitude once they committed to us. There had to have been some clues and we either didn't do our homework or we simply chose to ignore the warning signs.

The problem I have with Hakstol though is if the kid has this type of character, the odds are pretty good that he would have showed it prior to this. You don't just turn into a self centered individual overnight. The fact that this kid left (as well as some of the other guys who have bailed on us recently) make me wonder if the coaches are selling out a bit for the sake of talent but not doing as good job of looking into their character. I don't believe that all these guys suddenly just changed their attitude once they committed to us. There had to have been some clues and we either didn't do our homework or we simply chose to ignore the warning signs.

Many good points here. Another thought is does Hakstol believe he can mold this kids they way he wants? Is he over confident in that aspect?

He was underestimating the difficulty of the leauge, in regards to playing against older competition.

There isn't a better way to develop and improve. Guess he didn't think that was the case, and that scoring more in the CHL would get him to the NHL more quickly. We'll see.

Tambellini will never see the ice in the NHL.

He is straight up NOT TALENTED ENOUGH, NOR DRAFTED HIGH ENOUGH.

Sorry kid, facts are stubborn things.

From the W to the A to Europe...

After his monstrous first game, he has racked up a whopping 1G and 1A and played minus 1 hockey over the subsequent 4 games.

There isn't a better way to develop and improve. Guess he didn't think that was the case, and that scoring more in the CHL would get him to the NHL more quickly. We'll see.

Well my only counter would be what you need to work on. One league has older players the other has a majority of the top talent in the entire world. For him, I think that going against bigger older competition would have helped him more as he is skinny and has offensive skill. If size wasn't an issue and he needed to work on his offensive game I would have said head north. I am not going to argue against the top developmental league in the world because that won't carry too much weight outside of this forum, however leaving the team mid-season is my one and only problem.

I would say that's a fair question one has to ask. Is the cost/benefit analysis in recruiting these types of players done properly by the UND staff? But then again, unless there's a specific event in the kid's past that you can point to that exhibited he's a selfish player/individual how would you know this could happen? It's pretty easy for a player to visit the University and say all the right things "I want to help UND win a natty, I look forward to contributing in any way I can" and how would the coaches know any different until he starts practicing and playing with the team?

So to a point I agree with everything you're saying except where you say "There had to have been some clues and we either didn't do our homework or we simply chose to ignore the warning signs." Unless we know what those were, I don't necessarily think there was clues or warning signs. If you say that he's talented and Canadian, then Johnny Toews was a big flight risk, but was it worth the reward? Absolutely

Yeah I still like watching Coaches Corner but lost some respect for him when he went off on Frattin being an NCAA player after getting a start on the last game of the year for the maple leafs over Zigomanis an AHL player. All the leafs were trying to do was evaluate him before the season ended.

Not to mention him going off on team USA because they wore track suits when they arrived to the game as opposed to Team Canada who wore suits. He kept saying "look at that, class baby..class." seriously Don.

Well my only counter would be what you need to work on. One league has older players the other has a majority of the top talent in the entire world. For him, I think that going against bigger older competition would have helped him more as he is skinny and has offensive skill. If size wasn't an issue and he needed to work on his offensive game I would have said head north. I am not going to argue against the top developmental league in the world because that won't carry too much weight outside of this forum, however leaving the team mid-season is my one and only problem.

I am with you on leaving the team mid-season, that was totally immature and bush-league.

As for the CHL being "the top developmental league in the world", there is some truth to that statement. What most people on this forum have a problem with are the sleazy, below the belt tactics the CHL uses (promising stuff they can't deliver, bad-mouthing College Hockey using half-truths and outright lies, under-the-table cash payments, having their NHL puppet-masters put pressure on college players to head up north). The truth is, there are no "fast tracks" to the NHL. Whichever path you choose, you will have to work hard and sacrifice for the team; two things that Tamboleavi didn't want to do in Grand Forks. Like I have said before, is he going to complain about playing time in the ECHL, AHL or NHL? That won't get him anywhere at the professional level; they'll just tell him to pack his bags and get out.

Some kids are better off in the NCAA and some kids are better off in the CHL. I just think people on this forum get sick of the CHL promoting itself as the end-all and be-all of hockey in North America. It simply isn't true and the propagandists that promote that garbage know it.

Ultimately coaches care more about what you do away from the puck then what you do with it. Anybody remember Steve Yzerman before Scotty Bowman arrived and putting up huge numbers and not winning any cups then Scotty Bowman arriving and teaching him how to be a 2way player and winning more cups. Yzerman's numbers went way down but I think he gladly would take the results.

Ultimately coaches care more about what you do away from the puck then what you do with it. Anybody remember Steve Yzerman before Scotty Bowman arrived and putting up huge numbers and not winning any cups then Scotty Bowman arriving and teaching him how to be a 2way player and winning more cups. Yzerman numbers went way down but I think he gladly would take the results.

This is perhaps the best example of an incredibly skilled player putting team first and buying into the system. That's why Stevie is who he is, does what he does now, has the rings, is a first ballot HOFer, and never buys his own drink in motor city.

I love that our own Jonny Toews emulates so much of that Stevie Y mentality.

• Upvote 1

I am with you on leaving the team mid-season, that was totally immature and bush-league.

As for the CHL being "the top developmental league in the world", there is some truth to that statement. What most people on this forum have a problem with are the sleazy, below the belt tactics the CHL uses (promising stuff they can't deliver, bad-mouthing College Hockey using half-truths and outright lies, under-the-table cash payments, having their NHL puppet-masters put pressure on college players to head up north). The truth is, there are no "fast tracks" to the NHL. Whichever path you choose, you will have to work hard and sacrifice for the team; two things that Tamboleavi didn't want to do in Grand Forks. Like I have said before, is he going to complain about playing time in the ECHL, AHL or NHL? That won't get him anywhere at the professional level; they'll just tell him to pack his bags and get out.

Some kids are better off in the NCAA and some kids are better off in the CHL. I just think people on this forum get sick of the CHL promoting itself as the end-all and be-all of hockey in North America. It simply isn't true and the propagandists that promote that garbage know it.

I agree with everything you just said. I respect the players in the CHL because that league is beyond awesome, however the sleezy stuff mgmt does is terrible. The league started to get nervous during the mid-2000s when some top notch prospects starting heading to school rather than Canada....then they went full court press. If my son was talented enough and was a blue-chipper I would still send him to college no matter what he said....it's character building. I have a buddy I skate with in the summers who was drafted early second round, averaged over a point per game all through 4 years (each season for that matter), and still couldn't cut it. It wasn't that he wasn't talented enough, it was because his body could never hold up through an 82 game season with those gladiators. My point being, school would be the number one option in my mind because no matter how talented you are, nobody can predict what you will do in the NHL, except those super elite players. Even Toews and Crosby have had some head injuries already, one has to wonder how many more they can withstand.

This is perhaps the best example of an incredibly skilled player putting team first and buying into the system. That's why Stevie is who he is, does what he does now, has the rings, is a first ballot HOFer, and never buys his own drink in motor city.

I love that our own Jonny Toews emulates so much of that Stevie Y mentality.

Its hard to watch his speech when they raised his number to the rafters because he's so humble to a fault. He kept saying that he didn't deserve the credit and the players and coaches should be the ones being recognized. The crowd at the Joe just wanted him to be honored but Yzerman being the player he is tried to deflect the praise.

Tambellini will never see the ice in the NHL.

He is straight up NOT TALENTED ENOUGH, NOR DRAFTED HIGH ENOUGH.

Sorry kid, facts are stubborn things.

From the W to the A to Europe...

After his monstrous first game, he has racked up a whopping 1G and 1A and played minus 1 hockey over the subsequent 4 games.

well this guy seems to have made it to the NHL

http://stars.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8476116&view=notes

I would say that's a fair question one has to ask. Is the cost/benefit analysis in recruiting these types of players done properly by the UND staff? But then again, unless there's a specific event in the kid's past that you can point to that exhibited he's a selfish player/individual how would you know this could happen? It's pretty easy for a player to visit the University and say all the right things "I want to help UND win a natty, I look forward to contributing in any way I can" and how would the coaches know any different until he starts practicing and playing with the team?

So to a point I agree with everything you're saying except where you say "There had to have been some clues and we either didn't do our homework or we simply chose to ignore the warning signs." Unless we know what those were, I don't necessarily think there was clues or warning signs. If you say that he's talented and Canadian, then Johnny Toews was a big flight risk, but was it worth the reward? Absolutely

He may not have exhibited selfishness in the past, but the irony is his prospective professional employers now have a data point to work with.

He must be fast as all get out. He looks like the needle and the haystack or miracle player.

I don't see it with Tambellini.

That guy also put in 4 years in college and has an ivy league education.

Ding ding ding....yes the comparison should not be there. I agree with your initial assessment.

Per Mike Chambers (Denver Post), BCHL forward Landon Smith had the opportunity to replace Adam Tambellini at UND but he opted to keep his commitment to Quinnipiac. Smith was previously committed to Denver.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2014/01/21/landon-smith-bchl-scoring-leader-nhl-free-agent-former-denver-and-north-dakota-recruit/16508/