SiouxSports.com Forum

Tamboleavi

Frozen4sioux

And apparently that was a big mistake on the part of the coaches because Frattin clearly hadn't cleaned up his act and re-dedicated himself to his craft. Nor was he a good teammate or citizen when he returned.

I never said it was a mistake, but I also don't believe the only reason they brought him back was because he cleaned up. They also needed the help.

I am just passing along what I have heard, the sarcastic post in return is not appreciated.

I think it's interesting that Tambellini's brother played at Michigan and then played in the NHL. So it's not like he doesn't know anyone who has made it from the college game to the NHL.

His brother racked up 45 pts his freshman year. Also, it seems times are slowly shifting back toward the CHL route for higher rated players. Blue chipers typcically went the CHL route prior to the early 2000's....then during the early to mid 2000's college hockey pulled in a ton of high drafted players. The past 2/3 years have slowly shifted back to the CHL....not overly sure why as they have always offered money under the table. I truly think the NHL teams (which own the CHL) are pushing that route behind the scenes.

I understand that players want to do what is best for their development, but what ever happened to wanting to come to UND to win a national title? We need a guy like Kristo who is an elite talent, AND bleeds green and white, who is committed to the program. Sick of UND being a bargaining chip or a stop on the road for these kids. As a fan, I would much rather have green banners accumulate instead of guys playing in the NHL. (Of course I would love it if we could have both.)

• Upvote 1

His brother racked up 45 pts his freshman year. Also, it seems times are slowly shifting back toward the CHL route for higher rated players. Blue chipers typcically went the CHL route prior to the early 2000's....then during the early to mid 2000's college hockey pulled in a ton of high drafted players. The past 2/3 years have slowly shifted back to the CHL....not overly sure why as they have always offered money under the table. I truly think the NHL teams (which own the CHL) are pushing that route behind the scenes.

I didn't realize that his brother was also a first round draft pick. He probably would have been successful any which way.

Bottom line: If you're not scoring goals, work to be better. At the very least, finish the season before bolting.

I didn't realize that his brother was also a first round draft pick. He probably would have been successful any which way.

Bottom line: If you're not scoring goals, work to be better. At the very least, finish the season before bolting.

Jeff Tambellini didn't have much success in the NHL. Did have 3 really good seasons in the AHL though.

“While we’re sorry to see Matt Greene leave the program, we’re very happy to know that all of his hard work will pay off, and that he will have an immediate opportunity to play at the NHL level with the Edmonton Oilers,” said head coach Dave Hakstol. “He’s a young man with a great deal of character and a tremendous work ethic. He is a great member of the Fighting Sioux hockey family, and we wish him all the best as he embarks on his National Hockey League career.”

That is the response you want from your head coach...not the one Tambo got. After 24 hours of cool-down time, I'm fine with him leaving...he's not a "Sioux" type of guy. However, my thinking on recruiting methodology has changed slightly. It's not fair to the guys who are already here battling. I hope this is motivation for the guys to work extremely hard the rest of the season. Maybe good things will happen.

Article from the Calgary Sun - http://www.calgaryhe...5021/story.html

So while Adam Tambellini noted he chose Calgary over the team which held his WHL rights, Portland, because the Hitmen are leading the Eastern Conference, he had another big reason.

“There’s a level of (familiarity) here,” he explained. “My best friend is on the team in Greg Chase. We’ve been buddies since we’ve been 13 years old. . . . I can’t really be happier with the route I chose.”

....But his initial path of going to UND didn’t work out. As a freshman there, he had just two goals and two assists in 16 games. He inferred he wasn’t getting enough ice time and needed to make a change.

“It was more of a hockey decision for myself,” Tambellini explained. “Me and my family sat down and we really looked at the situation there. I’m looking to play a lot of games and play a lot of minutes. My choice to come to Calgary was pretty simple after finding that out.”

So he told UND he was leaving on Tuesday night, woke up on Wednesday, packed up his gear and drove across the border to Winnipeg where he caught a flight to Saskatoon just in time for the game.

Well now that we know his true ambitions, it is easy to say that this is one classless young adult... The fact that he wasn't producing here makes this an easy one to forget for both fans and players. I love hard-working, gritty guys who live to be NoDak hockey player. This guy was not one of them, as before, good riddance.

edit: I'm sure Adam doesn't frequent SS but if you're out there listening, feel free to take UND #10 off of your twitter account. #notworthy#couldn'thang

Article from the Calgary Sun - http://www.calgaryhe...5021/story.html

....But his initial path of going to UND didn’t work out. As a freshman there, he had just two goals and two assists in 16 games. He inferred he wasn’t getting enough ice time and needed to make a change.

Getting ice time is the result of the product, it's up to him to produce and impress the coaches both in practice and when he gets the opportunity to play to force them to find a spot for him...if you're better than the next guy your minutes will increase...apparently that wasn't the case.

• Upvote 1

This has nothing to do with classiness. It has everything to do with fit.

At a certain point you have to determine if sticking out a commitment is the best option going forward. Example- do you stay married to an abusive alcoholic because you made a commitment at one point? I wouldn't...

I will say that his flight to the dub is a self-indictment of an inability to:

A) produce offensively in the NCAA

B) produce in UND's system of strong two-way play

C) earn top 6 scoring line and special teams ice time

I question if the BC league isn't what it used to be...

This has nothing to do with classiness. It has everything to do with fit.

At a certain point you have to determine if sticking out a commitment is the best option going forward. Example- do you stay married to an abusive alcoholic because you made a commitment at one point? I wouldn't...

I will say that his flight to the dub is a self-indictment of an inability to:

A) produce offensively in the NCAA

B) produce in UND's system of strong two-way play

C) earn top 6 scoring line and special teams ice time

I question if the BC league isn't what it used to be...

None of that excuses leaving his team in a lurch in the middle of the season. Finish the season out; things might get better. If they don't, then make the switch. That would have given the coaches time to prepare for life without him. But no, he had to pull a Derrick Byfuglien and hang his teammates out to dry. Good riddance. :angry:

I know the NCAA wouldn't allow it, but perhaps a few challenge games between Major Junior and College teams are in order. If the Major Junior teams don't want to play, use that as propaganda for going the college route.

None of that excuses leaving his team in a lurch in the middle of the season. Finish the season out; things might get better. If they don't, then make the switch. That would have given the coaches time to prepare for life without him. But no, he had to pull a Derrick Byfuglien and hang his teammates out to dry. Good riddance. :angry:

I don't really think it is leaving us in a lurch...we've got plenty of 4th line guys. Heck, I bet there are intramural players at UND who could produce 4 points in half a season, especially playing with Rocco and Jewels for a significant amount of time.

He was such a disappointment and so inconsequential to the team, I just don't really care...

If Adam couldn't compete for ice with Luke Johnson, how is he going to do against Rick Nash???

• Upvote 1

While I don't like it, I won't ridicule this young man. I will never talk down to someone who is trying to improve his/her situation. While I don't like that he left let's remember that he committed at age 16 I believe. It is perfectly normal for a young adult to change there mind.

He will be replaced and we will move on just fine. The program is always bigger than any one individual. Fight on Sioux! !

Hennessy during the radio broadcast last weekend did mention Tambellini's dad was in attendance. I'm sure he had some influence on him leaving after watching how badly UND struggled against Canadian colleges. His dad was an NHL exec

Very true...I'm guessing that was quite embarrassing to watch.

I know the NCAA wouldn't allow it, but perhaps a few challenge games between Major Junior and College teams are in order. If the Major Junior teams don't want to play, use that as propaganda for going the college route.

There are some good players that leave the Major Juniors and play in the USHL, BCHL, AJHL, etc.. that would benefit playing in the NCAA rather than playing for CIS teams.

There are some good players that leave the Major Juniors and play in the USHL, BCHL, AJHL, etc.. that would benefit playing in the NCAA rather than playing for CIS teams.

Why would you ever leave CHL to play in USHL, BCHL, AJHL??? Are you really looking forward to that ECHL $25k per year for three years followed by $15/hour in a mine or mill for the rest of your life??

Hennessy during the radio broadcast last weekend did mention Tambellini's dad was in attendance. I'm sure he had some influence on him leaving after watching how badly UND struggled against Canadian colleges. His dad was an NHL exec

But with needing his rights traded to Calgary, it's highly unlikely that this process didn't get started before last weekend.

• Upvote 1