SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2013-2014 (Non-UND hockey)

Snake

So based on the Bills losing four Super Bowls, the AFC East sucked in the 1990's?

I wouldn't call the CCHA a 'weak' conference based on two teams losing national championship games in recent memory.

the AFC as a whole sucked in the mid 80's to january of 1998 when Denver beat the Packers they lost 12 or 13 in a row and most were never close.

Considering I was told when I was in Oxford at our series there that they were winning the national championship this season, I think disappointment would be an understatement.

still could happen, they have enough talent to win a first round series and then win the nchc tourney for a ticket to the dance and we all know you just need a chip, a chair and a chance.

I agree-I found tonight's shoot out between CC and Duluth anti-climatic and not just because CC lost. I don't like how players come to practically a slow crawl when they shoot.

They need to start a back checker on the far blue line...make it like an in-game breakaway.

Your initial point, siouxsweet, was to point out how "weak" the CCHA has been in recent years. Since 2007, FIVE different CCHA teams have advanced to the NCAA championship game. I'd say that that's pretty impressive, considering during that same time span, the WCHA has been in the title game twice.

Still care to claim the CCHA NCAA tournament performance as a conference whole has been "weak" over the past few years?

Your initial point, siouxsweet, was to point out how "weak" the CCHA has been in recent years. Since 2007, FIVE different CCHA teams have advanced to the NCAA championship game. I'd say that that's pretty impressive, considering during that same time span, the WCHA has been in the title game twice.

Still care to claim the CCHA NCAA tournament performance as a conference whole has been "weak" over the past few years?

I should have stated it better as I meant Miami's tourney performance has been weak and the ccha conference was weak and I stand by that as it had 3-4 good teams and 8 teams that lack for a better term were garbage and those 3-4 good teams beat up on 8 bad teams. the WCHA had it's share of bad teams as well(UAA, TECH, BEMIDJI, MSUM and some years Duluth)

I should have stated it better as I meant Miami's tourney performance has been weak and the ccha conference was weak and I stand by that as it had 3-4 good teams and 8 teams that lack for a better term were garbage and those 3-4 good teams beat up on 8 bad teams. the WCHA had it's share of bad teams as well(UAA, TECH, BEMIDJI, MSUM and some years Duluth)

Again, I beg to differ. From 2007-2013, 5 different CCHA teams made the men's ice hockey national championship game (as I already stated) and 10 of the conference's 12 teams qualified for the NCAA tournament. Only Bowling Green and Lake Superior State did not made the NCAA's in those 7 seasons. If that's not a strong conference, I don't know what is.

I do agree that Miami's tournament performance has been less than stellar.

Again, I beg to differ. From 2007-2013, 5 different CCHA teams made the men's ice hockey national championship game (as I already stated) and 10 of the conference's 12 teams qualified for the NCAA tournament. Only Bowling Green and Lake Superior State did not made the NCAA's in those 7 seasons. If that's not a strong conference, I don't know what is.

I do agree that Miami's tournament performance has been less than stellar.

you win this argument then. and based off the stats you have provided us maybe that makes the CCHA the best conference in the past ten years.

Or just go back to 5 on 5 with a 20:00 OT period and let ties stand.

I like simply letting ties stand, but a full 20 minutes would require a full intermission to do the ice. Who wants to wait 15 min for them to do the ice in a reg season game just to have the game potentially end in 2 minutes? 4x4 for 10 min max would be acceptable IMO. I also like the idea of 5 min 4x4 followed by 5 min 3x3 if necessary.

you win this argument then. and based off the stats you have provided us maybe that makes the CCHA the best conference in the past ten years.

I guess that depends on the criteria of determining the 'best conference.' One could use the 'what conference has the most titles in the past ten years?' argument and that would seem to be Hockey East. But since that conference has been a one-team wrecking crew, is that a good argument for best overall conference? The CCHA has lost 4 of 5 NCAA title games since '07...that's obviously not in their favor. I guess my vote, at least from 2012 to now, would be the ECAC.

It's always fun to argue what conference is the best. That's why 2005 was so awesome. There was no doubt and I mean NO DOUBT that year.

I like simply letting ties stand, but a full 20 minutes would require a full intermission to do the ice. Who wants to wait 15 min for them to do the ice in a reg season game just to have the game potentially end in 2 minutes? 4x4 for 10 min max would be acceptable IMO. I also like the idea of 5 min 4x4 followed by 5 min 3x3 if necessary.

I hate the idea of pulling players off the ice. Why not four on four with no goalies while we're at it? Two on two?

As a fan, I never complained about a 15 minute wait for the OT period to start, only to have the game end a minute later. It could be 30 seconds, it could be 19:59. That's why OT is so awesome.

I hate the idea of pulling players off the ice. Why not four on four with no goalies while we're at it? Two on two?

As a fan, I never complained about a 15 minute wait for the OT period to start, only to have the game end a minute later. It could be 30 seconds, it could be 19:59. That's why OT is so awesome.

I love hockey, but an 80 minute game with three intermissions on a regular season night is likely going to be too much for most people. Plus, if you ended up with two ties on the weekend the teams will have played 2 2/3 full games. It's just not feasible. I like the 4x4 format in the NHL, but I dislike the shootout because it's a team sport. 4x4 and 3x3 at least keeps it more like the standard product, but with an increased number of scoring chances. I was completely fine with calling a tie after 5:00 of 5x5; but if the powers that be need to decide a "winner" for every game I feel shorthanded play is preferrable - just not for a full 20 minutes.

• Upvote 2

I guess that depends on the criteria of determining the 'best conference.' One could use the 'what conference has the most titles in the past ten years?' argument and that would seem to be Hockey East. But since that conference has been a one-team wrecking crew, is that a good argument for best overall conference? The CCHA has lost 4 of 5 NCAA title games since '07...that's obviously not in their favor. I guess my vote, at least from 2012 to now, would be the ECAC.

It's always fun to argue what conference is the best. That's why 2005 was so awesome. There was no doubt and I mean NO DOUBT that year.

I do have to ask if you are the former commish of the CCHA as you have deep support for it and are a michigan football fan at the very least...

I do have to ask if you are the former commish of the CCHA as you have deep support for it and are a michigan football fan at the very least...

You claimed that the CCHA consisted of 8 crummy teams and 3-4 good ones. I simply pointed out some facts about the last 7 years to totally disprove your theory. I'm a fan of college hockey, period.

My name is Gordon, but my friends call me "Red."