SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

http://www.thebakken.com/articles/854/badlands-ngl-considering-locations-byproducts-for-new-plant

Our own Patrick Miller has written a nice article about where the Polyethylene plant could be located.

Apparently, all the water used will be internally recycled, as no wastewater will be generated.

The hydrogen generated could be used for a fertilizer plant.

The CO2 generated could be recovered as food grade material (soda pop).

Looks like Beulah would fit the criteria, as it built a fertilizer addition.

Jamestown could also be in the mix.

Maybe Morton County.

Think the only way Grand Forks will be in the mix is if Hess builds a pipeline to supply propane to the Mentor caverns, and ethane is separated in GF.   Probably a very long shot.

If HHS and DOD would pay for testing and stockpiling Avianax's Ebola antibodies, that could be huge for GF.  Such a move would prompt Wall Street to pump money into the company, giving it the option to pursue other immune challenges, including cancer. 

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/27155894/grand-forks-company-team-with-government-on-ebola-cure

• 4 months later...

Yesterdays Herald had an article on the shortage of office space in Gf. Apparently, downtown might get two new buildings, one by JLG and one by the Edgewood Group, which has offices in Grand Forks but is growing its collection of assisted care facilities across right states. The Edgewood Group may build as high as eight stories. Downtown hasn't really seen much growth for years, other than condos and apartments.

New hotel going up just south of Liberty Lanes.  Don't recall the name but I believe it is a chain hotel.

Apartment complex directly across the street from City Hall is completed, I believe.

That's about all I've seen around EGF.

Agree, that's about it but you know, for a city of 9k that's got a sister city 6x larger right next door & with the benefits of ND's robust economy it actually does quite well with it's boardwalk of restaurants/bars by the river, busy multi-plex movie theater and Cabella's downtown. On some days (wknd) the huge parking lot adjacent to the levee/state campground is pretty plumb full.

Yesterdays Herald had an article on the shortage of office space in Gf. Apparently, downtown might get two new buildings, one by JLG and one by the Edgewood Group, which has offices in Grand Forks but is growing its collection of assisted care facilities across right states. The Edgewood Group may build as high as eight stories. Downtown hasn't really seen much growth for years, other than condos and apartments.

Do you have a link?

Edit: Nevermind, I found the article...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/business/3698674-developers-see-need-more-grand-forks-office-space

• 2 weeks later...

In a recent WSJ article, Thief River Falls' job market was highlighted, mainly because Digi Key is growing fast, adding about 500 jobs a year. A graphic showed that Grand Forks jobs have declined since 2009. But why is there such growth in the housing market? Is it all people that are working in the oil patch or in TRF? Even Fargo's job growth is anemic according to the WSJ.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/in-job-islands-work-is-plentiful-but-the-workers-are-not-1424977919

I get why Wal-Mart wanted to be close to I-29, but I continue to be surprised that there's not more retail development on the east side of the Red. Between the zero sales tax on clothing and the open before noon on Sundays, you would think that would be a draw.

Not to mention $500,000 business loans that you don't have to pay back!

• 4 weeks later...

So Al Grill is closing up soon. He is retiring. Anyone hear any rumors on what is replacing that North End restaurant? Be a damn shame if a franchise comes in there!

Its been for sale for quite a while but that's about all I've heard.