SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

I went there about a year ago for the first time. I don't get what all the fuss is about. It was fine, but nothing special.

I think that can be said of a lot of the restaurant joints people point out.  Some people swear by Red Pepper, while others don't get it.  I think a lot of the reviews are based on nostalgia. 

• Upvote 2

I think that can be said of a lot of the restaurant joints people point out.  Some people swear by Red Pepper, while others don't get it.  I think a lot of the reviews are based on nostalgia. 

^^^I was trying to come up with a way to explain that very thing.  I love the Red Pepper because of all the great experiences that I have had there over the years -- same with The Moon and other Grand Forks Iconic places --- and all the nostalgia that comes with it.

• Upvote 1

^^^I was trying to come up with a way to explain that very thing.  I love the Red Pepper because of all the great experiences that I have had there over the years -- same with The Moon and other Grand Forks Iconic places --- and all the nostalgia that comes with it.

All of this...^^^

My girls will miss seeing "Grandpa Ken" at the Moon.

I went there about a year ago for the first time. I don't get what all the fuss is about. It was fine, but nothing special.

You know if I was a Mod I'd ban you for talk like that!

To add fuel to the fire, the Red Pepper does nothing for me either......

Anyone who lived in Bismarck and went to the Grinder Shop knows how average the Peppers grinders are (see-through meat slices).  Evan made them the way they were supposed to be made.  

Heard a company wanted to move out by new Walmart and they got shot down haha

Would have threatened a locally owned business

If this is Fleet farm that's to bad HoE just does not compare any more

Awesome.  Minot should be #3 in ND soon.

Who cares? Don't let your insecurity drive your thinking. Low population is the best thing ND has going for it. Growth is a loser. Ask anyone that has lived in Minnesota for the last 30+ years how they like the "growth". It sucks. Careful what you wish for...

Who cares? Don't let your insecurity drive your thinking. Low population is the best thing ND has going for it. Growth is a loser. Ask anyone that has lived in Minnesota for the last 30+ years how they like the "growth". It sucks. Careful what you wish for...

Yeah, don't know if I like the kind of element growth has meant out west. Don't want more of that making its way to the Eastern part of the state.

Nostalgia can cloud people's judgement when it comes to food.  For instance, as a Dickinson native, when I moved to the Bismarck/Mandan area, we tried Big Boy a couple of times, and found it to be nothing special.  Very overrated for how Bismarck natives act about that place.  I'll be fine if I never get anything from there again.  But the people that grew up with it love it.  Similarly, Dickinson natives over a certain age love the Schmidt Dairy Queen BBQ (now sold by the Dairy Barn).  (most people would call it a Sloppy Joe)  People from elsewhere would probably try it and not understand why it is so big, but when you grew up with it you love it and want to have it as an adult.

Nostalgia can cloud people's judgement when it comes to food.  For instance, as a Dickinson native, when I moved to the Bismarck/Mandan area, we tried Big Boy a couple of times, and found it to be nothing special.  Very overrated for how Bismarck natives act about that place.  I'll be fine if I never get anything from there again.  But the people that grew up with it love it.  Similarly, Dickinson natives over a certain age love the Schmidt Dairy Queen BBQ (now sold by the Dairy Barn).  (most people would call it a Sloppy Joe)  People from elsewhere would probably try it and not understand why it is so big, but when you grew up with it you love it and want to have it as an adult.

I have frequented both places for the past 30+ years.  Love them both.   Big Boy: 2 Pizza burgers flying saucer style with fries and gravy and a vanilla Coke.  Dairy Barn: 3 BBQs with a chocolate shake.

One could throw in the open face hot beef with fries and gravy at the Trapper's Kettle in Belfied too.

Grew up hitting both spots...and still get to each one as my schedule allows.

Similarly, Dickinson natives over a certain age love the Schmidt Dairy Queen BBQ (now sold by the Dairy Barn). (most people would call it a Sloppy Joe) People from elsewhere would probably try it and not understand why it is so big, but when you grew up with it you love it and want to have it as an adult.

Schmidt's Dairy Queen - loved that place, especially in the summertime when the old sundae in a mini baseball helmet came out.

Anyone who lived in Bismarck and went to the Grinder Shop knows how average the Peppers grinders are (see-through meat slices).  Evan made them the way they were supposed to be made.  

Actually, anyone who grew up in Bismarck will tell you how much better EVERYTHING is in Bismarck.  They won't be able to explain why they left anyway, but it'll still be better.

• Upvote 1