SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

Actually, anyone who grew up in Bismarck will tell you how much better EVERYTHING is in Bismarck.  They won't be able to explain why they left anyway, but it'll still be better.

Last time my parents were in Bismarck they told me Space Aliens was terrible and not as good as it was when it first opened. Big Boy was ok, only been there a couple of times, I can't think of the Grinder Shop only Blimpie but never been to it.

Space aliens tried get in to grand forks

We all saw what happend there ;)

Nobody wanted to pay Mort Bank the million plus he required for the franchise fee?  Guy was smart, took a lot of his experience gained from owning his McDonald's stores and translated it to the sit down restraunt.  At the end of the day is the name Space Aliens worth $1,000,000+ on the outside of a building?

Don't pretend your GOBC had the pull to keep him out.  Space Aliens is a franchise.

Nobody wanted to pay Mort Bank the million plus he required for the franchise fee?  Guy was smart, took a lot of his experience gained from owning his McDonald's stores and translated it to the sit down restraunt.  At the end of the day is the name Space Aliens worth $1,000,000+ on the outside of a building?

Don't pretend your GOBC had the pull to keep him out.  Space Aliens is a franchise.

And people loved working for him when he owned all the McDonalds in Bismarck/Mandan.

And people loved working for him when he owned all the McDonalds in Bismarck/Mandan.

He is a good man.  My point was the imaginary GOBC didn't keep every single person in GF from opening a Space Aliens.  Its a franchise, anyone who wants to pay the fee could have and still can open one despite GFhockeys story.

Ask him how sales were

25% of restaurants of any kind fail in the first year of operation.  Closer to 60% close within 3 years.  Those are the averages across the country.  Among the normal reasons are bad loans (often too high interest rates or not enough start up capital), poor customer service, bad food or products, bad location and many others.  Franchise restaurants fail at only a slightly lower rate than independents.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/stories/2007-04-16/the-restaurant-failure-mythbusinessweek-business-news-stock-market-and-financial-advice

I was really bummed when that closed as a Boston's and reopened as Space Aliens........

The reason that Space Aliens didn't work is because they put zero effort into turning the old Boston's into a true Space Aliens.  Anyone who had gone to the Fargo or Bismarck locations couldn't believe how crappy that one was.

Actually, anyone who grew up in Bismarck will tell you how much better EVERYTHING is in Bismarck.  They won't be able to explain why they left anyway, but it'll still be better.

Hard to argue with anything you said.   :bigsmile:   It's a nice town but not as great as the locals think it is.  

Hard to argue with anything you said.   :bigsmile:   It's a nice town but not as great as the locals think it is.  

Glad to know someone else has had the experience, so I didn't just come off as bitter, LOL!  I just have a couple of "those friends" and the comment about the grinders kind of triggered a reaction...

25% of restaurants of any kind fail in the first year of operation.  Closer to 60% close within 3 years.  Those are the averages across the country.  Among the normal reasons are bad loans (often too high interest rates or not enough start up capital), poor customer service, bad food or products, bad location and many others.  Franchise restaurants fail at only a slightly lower rate than independents.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/stories/2007-04-16/the-restaurant-failure-mythbusinessweek-business-news-stock-market-and-financial-advice

not those that have Jon Taffer give them tough love

• Upvote 1

Glad to know someone else has had the experience, so I didn't just come off as bitter, LOL! I just have a couple of "those friends" and the comment about the grinders kind of triggered a reaction...

The comment about the grinders was 100% accurate, also. They were perfect, lotsa meat and white sauce. Fresh buns.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/region/3743888-grand-forks-amtrak-lose-its-staffing-and-baggage-checking-services

This may not mean much to anybody, but being relegated to unstaffed station status is freaking ridiculous.  Grand Forks needs to wake the hell up.

One airline and half-ass Amtrak service with no checked bags.  Where is the Chamber of Commerce?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/region/3743888-grand-forks-amtrak-lose-its-staffing-and-baggage-checking-services

This may not mean much to anybody, but being relegated to unstaffed station status is freaking ridiculous.  Grand Forks needs to wake the hell up.

One airline and half-ass Amtrak service with no checked bags.  Where is the Chamber of Commerce?

Where is the Grand Forks Region Economic Development Corporation

Where is this partnership

The 50s are over. Passenger trains probably won't even exist much longer.

To the contrary, as the overall quality of the air travel experience has tanked, many people are aching for an alternative.  Amtrak needs to be improved, not further marginalized.

And from the standpoint of QOL in Grand Forks, people deserve to have the best possible service.