SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

Is that going on the west side of 42nd near the REAC building?

It looks like it will be connected to Ryan Hall, so that would place it along University Ave, closer to the Information Technology Bldg and I-29.

So much of the buildings for the College of Aerospace Sciences has been donated by non-alumni.  Its rather amazing.

Anyone know what the plans are for future residence halls?  I ask because it's basically unchanged in the last 25 years (with that being Swanson).  I am aware of at least two visits where the parents were alumni and the tour was greatly disappointing, the residence halls in particular came off as "dumpy", and UND was scratched off the list.   

Anyone know what the plans are for future residence halls?  I ask because it's basically unchanged in the last 25 years (with that being Swanson).  I am aware of at least two visits where the parents were alumni and the tour was greatly disappointing, the residence halls in particular came off as "dumpy", and UND was scratched off the list.   

If they thought UND's residence halls were dumpy, clearly they haven't toured many universities (U of Minnesota for one).  Regarding potential new dormitories/student residence space, there is a new Medical School building being constructed, resulting in a very large, empty building near the main campus.....

Wilki is getting remodeled... that will help a lot.  The dorms in that area with the suite style bathrooms aren't so bad, except they are a long walk from campus.

What UND really needs is a new building for the business school.  I'm very disappointed that it is taking so long.

An update on the Fleet Farm.

I just talked to my friend at the utility that originally told me about Fleet Farm coming to GF.   He said after they provided the study to Fleet Farm on how they would serve them along with the estimated costs involved for a new Grand Forks store, months went by without hearing much. He said they finally talked to Fleet Farm HQ 2 months ago and were told they no longer have plans for building in Grand Forks. (Fleet Farm has since announced for Duluth - Hermantown as their next build)

Interestingly, for those who talked about the Mills family and Home of Economy handshake deal years ago.......my friend says that since they got the word on Fleet Farm, they were asked to basically do the same thing for the Home of Economy.   He said HOE is planning to build a new, large store on the south end of GF and turn the north end location into staging and storage area for their stores.  So, maybe that "family agreement" is still in effect.

If this rumor doesn't come true I'll stop listening to my him  ???

I just talked to my friend at the utility that originally told me about Fleet Farm coming to GF.   He said after they provided the study to Fleet Farm on how they would serve them along with the estimated costs involved for a new Grand Forks store, months went by without hearing much. He said they finally talked to Fleet Farm HQ 2 months ago and were told they no longer have plans for building in Grand Forks. (Fleet Farm has since announced for Duluth - Hermantown as their next build)

Interestingly, for those who talked about the Mills family and Home of Economy handshake deal years ago.......my friend says that since they got the word on Fleet Farm, they were asked to basically do the same thing for the Home of Economy.   He said HOE is planning to build a new, large store on the south end of GF and turn the north end location into staging and storage area for their stores.  So, maybe that "family agreement" is still in effect.

Bad news, Fleet Farm has great gas prices.

Would think west of the new WalMart would be a good location.  On the south end, there isn't room for a big box store except on 42nd St or west of I29 on 32nd Ave.

HoE has done really well in the oil patch, so they should have money for an upgrade in location.   Would kind of make sense to be the lead store for an implement "mall".

If Avianax gets funding from the DoD for ebola, that could lead to venture capitalists funding the company for other viruses or bacteria.  Could be huge for Grand Forks and UND to have a biotech company with funding.  Their goose antibodies have proven to work for parvo in puppies, but its a huge financial step to get funding for human trials.

http://www.prairiebizmag.com/event/article/id/21343/

Just have Stuart come up to the next meeting and flick his hair and bat his eyelashes a couple times. Done deal.

The Nolan campaign approves this message.

I just had supper; please don't bring the spoiled-rotten little rich kid into this topic. :crazy:  I think they would have had problems competing with Home of Economy; it's like if Hornbacher's tried to get into Grand Forks when Hugo's is so entrenched.

So kill more business on the northside in favor of the southside? Everything is on the southside except the westside WalMart. Fargo is the same way build build build on the southside and in return close the businesses on the northside. Its sad.

• Upvote 1

Cure for Ebola could rely on UND!!

http://www.prairiebizmag.com/event/article/id/21343/

GRAND FORKS, N.D. - As worldwide concern over the Ebola virus continues to mount, a Grand Forks company that specializes in antibody technology may potentially help fight the disease.

Researchers from Avianax and the University of North Dakota are meeting with federal government officials in Virginia this week to show their antibody for a virus that acts similar to Ebola, a disease that’s made it’s way to the United States after sweeping through West Africa where it has killed thousands of people.

The U.S. Department of Defense contacted the company, which has become known for advancements using geese antibodies, to see what it can do for Ebola, according to David Bradley, executive director for the Center of Research Excellence for Avian Therapeutics for Infectious Diseases at UND. Bradley will attend the meeting. Researchers will present their technology to experts from an arm of the department and the National Institutes of Health, he said.

Although no positive outcome is guaranteed, they feel their work is strong enough to be considered — their Hantavirus antibody is just as capable as ZMapp, the experimental tobacco-based one used recently by recovering American aid workers, he said.

Based on data from studies with other viruses, Avianax researchers believe that Ebola-specific goose antibodies can be produced at levels 100,000 times greater than other animals, and at a much faster rate — within weeks, rather than months, he said.

I just had supper; please don't bring the spoiled-rotten little rich kid into this topic. :crazy:  I think they would have had problems competing with Home of Economy; it's like if Hornbacher's tried to get into Grand Forks when Hugo's is so entrenched.

KSTP has him smoking Nolan by 8 points. Who knows how it will ultimately pan out. The Minnesota DFL can generate propaganda that'd make Kim Jong-Un blush.