SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

1. Steve Johnson: proven winner.

2. Mike Guentzel: brought the Gophers back.

3. Cary Eades: funny how UND's slide co-responded to his departure.

Argue all you want that none have head coaching experience at the college level. Neither did Hak for that matter. Hak's biggest mistake was getting rid of Eades.

Hak got rid of Eades? Pretty sure he applied for an open coaching position, got hired, and resigned from his coaching position at UND.

Hak got rid of Eades? Pretty sure he applied for an open coaching position, got hired, and resigned from his coaching position at UND.

If I remember correctly, he applied for the job in Mankato in April but didn't get it. Hak restructured the staff, Eades was let go and then named Head Coach/GM of the USHL team in Sioux Falls a week later. Guessing there was all kinds of behind the scenes stuff going on before things were announced, but that is the publicly available timeline.

• Upvote 1

Argue all you want that none have head coaching experience at the college level. Neither did Hak for that matter. Hak's biggest mistake was getting rid of Eades.

1. Johnson- i can listen but you better check his "systems" to make sure he doesn't incorporate dump and chase style.

2. Guentzel- hahhaaaa no way in hell would he ever take the job. He's going to be the next Gopher coach.

3. Eades- the best choice but there has to be something to him being let go on this staff.

1. Johnson- i can listen but you better check his "systems" to make sure he doesn't incorporate dump and chase style.

2. Guentzel- hahhaaaa no way in hell would he ever take the job. He's going to be the next Gopher coach.

3. Eades- the best choice but there has to be something to him being let go on this staff.

There is. And out of respect for what Cary Eades did for Fighting Sioux hockey over the course of his time as a player and a coach at UND, it hasn't been discussed on this board. And hopefully, it never will.

• Upvote 2

Eades biggest mistake was the reason they got rid of him.

• Upvote 1

I honestly don't think its hak's system as many colleges and NHL teams play it. We simply are lacking offensive forwards other than Rocco. We don't have a first line and many of our forwards could barely cut it a few years back.

We do need some more scoring talent, which will hopefully be arriving next year, with the highly touted recruits.

But even Rocco has been sub-par this season; at least from what has been expected of him. How many breakaways vs how many breakaway goals does he have? another example ... Saturday night he was sitting in the left circle staring at a wide open net when UNO's goalie fell, but he didn't pull the trigger. He need a little more confidence in his game; I think he has been a little sloppy.

May be an overcritical analysis of Rocco, but this is a guy we need to lead this team, similar to Duncan in talent and stature, and I think Rocco is a better overall athlete than Duncan was.

Beyond Rocco, this team needs to make some big adjustments on their powerplay. There were a few flashes this weekend where they had good shots, rebound opportunities and cycled the puck well, but overall they did a terrible job of creating space, controlling the puck and creating shot opportunities. Hope they can right the ship and start scoring goals, because they have a tough grind to finish the season with UMD, SCSU and Western Michigan. At this point, UND's best hope may be in the NCHC tourney.

Make it to the dance, and anything can happen. Go Sioux! (steps off soap box)

Where have i ever been a Hak apologist? I guess just because i throw out some truth to the situation, you lump me in with your opinion of fans that are blind. Your constant spew on this topic is growing tired. You don't like the answers but yet you keep asking the same questions. 1. of course the coach shares responsibility but so do the CHL/NHL departures of players slated to be on the roster that have hurt this team. Systems aren't the problem with this team, it's the talent. #2. adjustments/systems are the reason multiple UNO guys were left by themselves out in front of the net or odd man rushes against? Did you call for Blais' head after the 2001-02 season? Because that team sucked. Or was it graduation,departures, recruiting lapse? 3. Curious as to who you think should be the next coach to lead this team. Give me 3 realistic names and why.

Well, you sounded like a Hak apologist, but you are right in that you are not the worst of them. And I am sorry if my "constant spew on this topic is growing tired" because I am one of just a few brave souls on this forum that are willing to criticize Hakstol when it is warranted. And I think it is worth explaining (again) that criticizing the head coach is NOT the same as calling for his immediate ouster. So I will not be giving you "3 realistic names and why".

My position on this is summed up in another thread like this: Jerry York and Red Berenson took over programs that were in the toilet and rebuilt them into national powers. So when you hear people talk about how long it took for them to win their first NCAA title and why Hakstol should get pretty much all the time he wants to get it done, just remember that little factoid. Dave Hakstol inherited a Porsche and drives it like a Yugo. He has every single tool you need to win at the highest level of Division I hockey, so it's time to ditch the excuses and the B.S. that is spewed on this forum concerning NCAA titles and the importance (or lack thereof) they hold for this program.

My first loyalty is to the program, not to any one individual coach or player. So yes, I will point out problems when I see them. Especially when very few others are willing to point them out.

• Upvote 2

Boy, you guys sure give wild imaginations plenty of ammo. But fair enough

It's not something I feel like getting into on the internet. I don't think it would be in good taste.

Good call. What happened was unfortunate - and let's leave it at that.

Big time unfortunate. I think cary was very sorry and knew he was in the wrong

• Upvote 1

Jerry York and Red Berenson took over programs that were in the toilet and rebuilt them into national powers. So when you hear people talk about how long it took for them to win their first NCAA title and why Hakstol should get pretty much all the time he wants to get it done, just remember that little factoid. Dave Hakstol inherited a Porsche and drives it like a Yugo. He has every single tool you need to win at the highest level of Division I hockey, so it's time to ditch the excuses and the B.S. that is spewed on this forum concerning NCAA titles and the importance (or lack thereof) they hold for this program.

I wouldn't exactly call a 9-year season average of 26 wins, 13 losses, and 4 ties a sign that Hakstol is running the program into the ground. Hakstol has done everything but win an NCAA title with the Sioux...I sure hope he wins one...and soon.

Hak would be revered like Blaiser and Gino if he had simply coached us to a title the years that we should've won.

The Zajac, Stafford, Oshie, Toews year should've been a title and the Pony Express year should've been a title...heck if we win one of those two years, people would not be gnashing their teeth.

The coach needs to get the boys to the dance every year (Hak has done this) then he has to close the deal the years where they're the favorite (Hak has not).

Hak would be revered like Blaiser and Gino if he had simply coached us to a title the years that we should've won.

The Zajac, Stafford, Oshie, Toews year should've been a title and the Pony Express year should've been a title...heck if we win one of those two years, people would not be gnashing their teeth.

The coach needs to get the boys to the dance every year (Hak has done this) then he has to close the deal the years where they're the favorite (Hak has not).

Because the team that's favored every year should win the title every time, right?

Cough, cough, 1980 Soviet Union (men's Olympic hockey)...1983 Houston Cougars (men's basketball)...1985 Georgetown Hoyas (men's basketball)...cough, cough, 1997 Michigan Wolverines (ice hockey)...cough, cough, 2004 LA Lakers (NBA)...2014 Denver Broncos (NFL)...

Because the team that's favored every year should win the title every time, right?

Cough, cough, 1980 Soviet Union (men's Olympic hockey)...1983 Houston Cougars (men's basketball)...1985 Georgetown Hoyas (men's basketball)...cough, cough, 1997 Michigan Wolverines (ice hockey)...cough, cough, 2004 LA Lakers (NBA)...2014 Denver Broncos (NFL)...

1998 Sioux...but we can blame that one on you, right?