SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2013-14 season

Frozen4sioux

I like it...my only suggestion would be to have Johnson center Rocco and Murphy, his passing skills would definitely compliment those two.

No way Rocco plays anything but center this season IMO.

Nice recruiting class breakdown for this year

http://overtheboards...iting-rankings/

Also this last paragraph stood out. As noted by many here next years class is pretty amazing if they all end up in GF...Go Sioux!

"There are also three weapons up front in Adam Tambellini, Luke Johnson, and Wade Murphy, as well as an intriguing, talented goaltender in Matt Hrynkiw being added to an already deep (but soon to be less deep) crease. And in case you’re wondering, Coach Hakstol’s class next year is literally shaping up to be one of the best in college hockey. Ever. So there’s that.

For a more in-depth look at this class, our North Dakota Recruiting Preview comes out October 1."

They also added this about next year's incoming class:

1. North Dakota

Why: Most recruiting classes have one marquee recruit, maybe two. UND has six: Nick Schmaltz, Austin Poganski, Ryan Gropp, Shane Gersich, Ryan Mantha and Chris Wilkie. Trevor Olson and Winnipeg Jets draft pick Tucker Poolman are no slouches either. Suffice it to say the last thing UND is going to be thinking about next season is an identity crisis.

No way Rocco plays anything but center this season IMO.

??? In the long run he's going to be a wing, let the kid develope into a winger (unless we have such a hole at center that it hurts our team, which will not happen). Many of the posters said he would play center last year too and disagreed with many of my posts....and he rarely played center Why? Because he is too small, even in the college game. He can be a very exciting and dominant man on the outside though. I do think (positionally) he would be a great center due to his motor but he will have issues with draws. There is a reason many of the great centers are huge....or strong as hell. He is just a tad small for that position. Johnson will be a great center someday (hopefully immediately). I believe tambellini plays center and we have a few others as well. You may be right though, he definitely could play the position, we may sacrifice on draws though (which coaches hate).

Nice recruiting class breakdown for this year

http://overtheboards...iting-rankings/

Also this last paragraph stood out. As noted by many here next years class is pretty amazing if they all end up in GF...Go Sioux!

"There are also three weapons up front in Adam Tambellini, Luke Johnson, and Wade Murphy, as well as an intriguing, talented goaltender in Matt Hrynkiw being added to an already deep (but soon to be less deep) crease. And in case you’re wondering, Coach Hakstol’s class next year is literally shaping up to be one of the best in college hockey. Ever. So there’s that.

For a more in-depth look at this class, our North Dakota Recruiting Preview comes out October 1."

I agree with the bolded line. For UND assuming people show, this will be right up there with the Toews / Oshie class. Though there is no one near the level of Toews. Also when a ton of talent is coming like that I think it is easier to keep everyone coming.

I agree with the bolded line. For UND assuming people show, this will be right up there with the Toews / Oshie class. Though there is no one near the level of Toews. Also when a ton of talent is coming like that I think it is easier to keep everyone coming.

Agreed.

One thing that caught my eye about this year's roster is the lack of size. The two most intimidating people by height and weight stand in the net. Sure not like the old days, I hope this isn't a sign of what the team is moving towards but with the stupid rule changes and even worse officiating I guess this is what Hakstol has to do. Chage with the times or be left behind. I am going to miss being one of the most feared teams in the league and not having the refs put you in the box just for being so.....

Rant over.

What has being "one of the most feared teams in the league" done for us in the NCAA tournament? Nothing. I think Hakstol and company are making changes that need to be made. Good for them (and us).

What has being "one of the most feared teams in the league" done for us in the NCAA tournament? Nothing. I think Hakstol and company are making changes that need to be made. Good for them (and us).

Completely agree. It's not like we don't have those guys in the system, either. I think this team will still bring a lot of grit with guys like Gaarder, Rocco, Pattyn, etc. Not too huge bangers, but still hard-nosed players with speed. Being big is never why we were feared, we were feared and still will be because we are physical. I'm excited!

• Upvote 1

??? In the long run he's going to be a wing, let the kid develope into a winger (unless we have such a hole at center that it hurts our team, which will not happen). Many of the posters said he would play center last year too and disagreed with many of my posts....and he rarely played center Why? Because he is too small, even in the college game. He can be a very exciting and dominant man on the outside though. I do think (positionally) he would be a great center due to his motor but he will have issues with draws. There is a reason many of the great centers are huge....or strong as hell. He is just a tad small for that position. Johnson will be a great center someday (hopefully immediately). I believe tambellini plays center and we have a few others as well. You may be right though, he definitely could play the position, we may sacrifice on draws though (which coaches hate).

Rocco can play center without taking the face offs. ..

Just watched the UND hockey show online with Hak. About damn time something like this was done and they did a good job with it! Can't wait for this season after watching it. Go sioux!!

Love how they aren't in some cheesy studio with a blue (green) screen behind them and phony walls.

My guess on initial lines

Murphy-Ma. MacMillan-Grimaldi

Caggiula-Tambellini-Parks

O'Donnell-St.Clair-Johnson

Gaarder-Pattyn-Rodwell

Extra

Mi.Mac-Chyzk-Sanderson

D

Simpson-LaDue

Ausmus-Schmaltz

Mattson-Stecher/Thompson

Extra

Panzerella-Stecher/Thompson

G

Gothberg

Saunders

Hrynkiw

If OD plays like he has I could very easily see him on the bench again and Mi. MacMillan or Chyzk taking his spot and I think that is the biggest competition for a forward spot. It was tough for me to decide between Stecher and Thompson right now so I just listed them both and I think right away we could see one playing Friday and the other playing Saturday but I think it could eventually end up being that Mattson is the odd man out of the lineup if he struggles early like he did some last year and both Thompson and Stecher meet expectations.

OD and Mitch will need to step their games up or they could be sitting up in the stands on a weekend basis, I know not a shocker but just saying after last season.

This will be Zane's team.

Johnson, Murphy and Tambellini will be counted on right out of the gates with losing KnK's production.

Rocco will put everyone on their feet a couple times per weekend. This could turn into his team and hope he wants to stick around with next years class! Not jumping ahead but throw Rocco in with those forwards?! Excuse me Rocco but my god that would be fun!

Chyzk could take a spot with a good start

Top 6 D will be interesting. Probably not likely but some nights they could have 4 frosh on the blue line. Simpson has grown into his own and will have a big year!

Simpson

Ladue

Mattson

Schmaltz

Ausmus

Thompson

Stecher rotating in here and there. Then Panz depending on match ups and style.

One thing that caught my eye about this year's roster is the lack of size. The two most intimidating people by height and weight stand in the net. Sure not like the old days, I hope this isn't a sign of what the team is moving towards but with the stupid rule changes and even worse officiating I guess this is what Hakstol has to do. Chage with the times or be left behind. I am going to miss being one of the most feared teams in the league and not having the refs put you in the box just for being so.....

Rant over.

The game is changing and you can't beat the opposition out of the building anymore, you will spend all game in the box, coach Hakstol talked about this last year. If UND can skate around the opposition and push the pace up ice they probably resemble the Hockey East teams like Boston College come tourney time. Not keeping up and getting blasted 6-1 in the Frozen Four has been a complaint by some in the past. They will still have grit.

Edited by Goon
  • Upvote 1

Talked to a prominent scout RE: Johnson. Size isn't a concern according to him, but strength is. Also talked to someone in Lincoln, said Johnson didn't play with the tenacity and drive he possesses on a consistent basis this past season. On the other hand, Johnson himself has admitted himself that he didn't play to his potential last season and that he aims on rectifying that this season. I'm sold on Johnson, he'll be just fine for UND, and he should play a prominent role on the team right out of the gates.

agree, i'm not worried about Johnson. He's coming home and should be really hungry after a down year. I also think Murphy is going to surprise some people.

Playing center at the next level is hard...even Toews didn't play center much as a frosh.

Tambellini and Johnson can get spelled by Mark Mac playing pivot early in the year.

I think we're crazy if we split up Rocco and Cags or Mark Mac and Parks

To me, Tambellini and Murphy round out those top two lines-

Third line has Johnson, OD, and St. Clair written all over it, if OD can get his game back

Energy will have Pattyn and Rodwell and then a dog fight for that final winger- Gaarder certainly has heart, and Mitch Mac can skate...Chyzyk has some scoring upside...then there's the new guys...

After Simpson and Schmaltz, I don't have a clue at who will play on D two nights per weekend. I think it will be a rotation early.

OD and Mitch will need to step their games up or they could be sitting up in the stands on a weekend basis, I know not a shocker but just saying after last season.

This will be Zane's team.

Johnson, Murphy and Tambellini will be counted on right out of the gates with losing KnK's production.

Rocco will put everyone on their feet a couple times per weekend. This could turn into his team and hope he wants to stick around with next years class! Not jumping ahead but throw Rocco in with those forwards?! Excuse me Rocco but my god that would be fun!

Chyzk could take a spot with a good start

Top 6 D will be interesting. Probably not likely but some nights they could have 4 frosh on the blue line. Simpson has grown into his own and will have a big year!

Simpson

Ladue

Mattson

Schmaltz

Ausmus

Thompson

Stecher rotating in here and there. Then Panz depending on match ups and style.

I think the opposite will happen. I think it'll be Thompson rotating in. I know Thompson's the draft pick and all, but Stetcher was d-man of the year in the BCHL, so he's no slouch. I just think Stetcher is more experienced and older, and Thompson really struggled at the end of last season.

I think the opposite will happen. I think it'll be Thompson rotating in. I know Thompson's the draft pick and all, but Stetcher was d-man of the year in the BCHL, so he's no slouch. I just think Stetcher is more experienced and older, and Thompson really struggled at the end of last season.

You could be right on with that. There could be nights when all 4 freshman are on the blue line.