SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2013-14 season

Frozen4sioux

I'm not sold on johnson yet, at this point I think he is overrated and so do nhl scouts/teams as within a year he goes from potential first round/second round pick to what the fifth round.

I'm curious as to the number of times you've seen him play to make your assessment.

Via Brad's Blog: number assignments for the incoming class

2 - Troy Stecher

4 - Keaton Thompson

6 - Paul LaDue

7 - Wade Murphy

10 - Adam Tambellini

20 - Gage Ausmus

27 - Luke Johnson

30 - Matt Hrynkiw

Fixed your post... I was reading the comments section this morning an Jayson posted a comment.

As expected

@SchlossmanGF: As expected, NCHC officially announces it will use shootouts. 3pts for reg or OT wins, 2pts for SO win, 1pt for SO loss.

Give me

Grimaldi-Tambellini-mamac

Then if need be ....parks-drake-Murphy

As expected

@SchlossmanGF: As expected, NCHC officially announces it will use shootouts. 3pts for reg or OT wins, 2pts for SO win, 1pt for OT or SO loss.

Give me

Grimaldi-Tambellini-mamac

Then if need be ....parks-drake-Murphy

This is a dark day for the sport of hockey. God help us if they start talking about using them in the playoffs. :sad::angry:

• Upvote 1

This is a dark day for the sport of hockey. God help us if they start talking about using them in the playoffs. :sad::angry:

The NHL uses them, minors as well as college already so I believe it was just a matter of time. I would rather see a 10 then shoot out or just a full 20, but it will be exciting for the league games.

Shoot outs will NEVER EVER be used in any post season format. Don't worry about that. I don't mind it at all and will make for some fun moments at the Ralph.

The BIG10 is also using this same format and it doesn't seem the WCHA will use it.

• Upvote 1

The NHL uses them, minors as well as college already so I believe it was just a matter of time. I would rather see a 10 then shoot out or just a full 20, but it will be exciting for the league games.

Shoot outs will NEVER EVER be used in any post season format. Don't worry about that. I don't mind it at all and will make for some fun moments at the Ralph.

The BIG10 is also using this same format and it doesn't seem the WCHA will use it.

So if somebody jumps off a bridge, we are all supposed to just follow their lead? Sorry, I just have never liked that logic. The shootout takes a team game and turns it into a skills competition. What's next, using a slam-dunk contest in basketball to settle ties?

So if somebody jumps off a bridge, we are all supposed to just follow their lead? Sorry, I just have never liked that logic. The shootout takes a team game and turns it into a skills competition. What's next, using a slam-dunk contest in basketball to settle ties?

Agreed. Ties are fine...would rather see a longer OT instead of free throw contest.

I'm not sold on johnson yet, at this point I think he is overrated and so do nhl scouts/teams as within a year he goes from potential first round/second round pick to what the fifth round.

He's still very good.....more of a two way player. But the knock on him is his size. Look at his plus minus the past two years in the USHL as a 17 and 18 year old....pretty solid.

I hear ya and no that wasnt even close to my point. I think they must think these games could go on forever and ever if they tried 20's aftter regulation. It's not perfect but it was bound to happen at least for a trial year like it or not.

College hockey is also producing tons of NHL/pro players. Having similar rules seem to be the way it's going with the NCHC and big10 jumping aboard.

Guess I may be in a bit of a minority with the whole liking the shootout concept. I loved it as a player. Ties suck. Its not soccer....lets have a winner and a loser. Also agree it should NEVER be used to settle a playoff hockey game.

The only better solution would be 20 minutes on the board and lets play until one team wins, but how long do you go on a Friday night before the quality of the Saturday game is hurt by guys playing 5 or 6 periods Friday night? Maybe a 4X4 ten minute OT?

I think fans will enjoy the playmaking ability you'll see during the shootouts. I mean come on...who wouldn't have liked to see Kristo with a point on the line?

• Upvote 1

It will be ok...don't worry. Are they doing a 4x4 OT period first? They should.

That has been my solution all along. Go to 10 minutes and 4x4. That will eliminate a lot of the regulation ties and it shouldn't tire out the players too much. And it will help discourage the concept of playing for the tie with the trap. I hate it when teams do that.

Maybe this is where you just give up, huh, Jim? Glad I'm not trying to figure this out. :-)

From a fan perspective I really enjoy watching a shoot-out. I'm not so sure I like points being on the line, though. Haven't thought this through, but couldn't it just be used as a tie-breaking lever instead?

At least they are going with every game being a 3 point game. The NHL system with 2 point (win in regulation) or 3 point games (win in SO and SO loser gets magically appearing extra point) is corrupt in my opinion.

My opinion?

Five point games.

5 - Win in regulation

4 - Win in OT

3 - Win in SO

2 - Lose in SO

1 - Lose in OT

0 - Lose in regulation

Happy headache Jim. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Not real suprised about the Senkbeil transfer news, really can't blame the guy for trying to find a better situation for playing time.

Also I am probably in the minority but I like using the shootouts to break ties in the regular season and I would bet if you surveyed the teams most players would be in favor of it as well, I am just in the portion of people who can't stand a game ending in a tie.