SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

On 6/20/2017 at 8:20 AM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/business/article157009204.html

Do some people out there actually believe there's a chance we might get the nickname back?

On 6/20/2017 at 4:51 PM, Fetch said:

Sioux Forever - With some help from the Supreme Court ?

The issue with the Fighting Sioux name was never about obtaining a trademark.  Which is what this court ruling was all about.  UND had and still does have full legal right to the Fighting Sioux trademark.  The issue with the Sioux name was all about the NCAA, a private organization, and their feeling towards a members nickname and their ability to sanction that member school.  

The only option that UND would even have a chance for is claim the NCAA discriminated against them based on the their nickname.  Even the little chance of that ever happening is not going to get UND to go back and unretire the Fighting Sioux name.  

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The issue with the Fighting Sioux name was never about obtaining a trademark.  Which is what this court ruling was all about.  UND had and still does have full legal right to the Fighting Sioux trademark.  The issue with the Sioux name was all about the NCAA, a private organization, and their feeling towards a members nickname and their ability to sanction that member school.  

The only option that UND would even have a chance for is claim the NCAA discriminated against them based on the their nickname.  Even the little chance of that ever happening is not going to get UND to go back and unretire the Fighting Sioux name.  

THANK YOU!!!   

Washington Redskins, Cleveland Indians etc--private organization under the rules of their respected leagues (no rules on Indian nicknames) 

UND--state run school under the rules of the NCAA (has an Indian nickname rule)

It's a good thing we didn't become the University of North Dakota Fighting Millionaires.  Apparently Millionaire is now a divisive word.  

"But a new generation of students say it’s time for a new nickname – because they feel the word “millionaire” has become offensive and divisive."

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/07/06/students-say-millionaire-mascot-is-divisive.html

32 minutes ago, Rick said:

It's a good thing we didn't become the University of North Dakota Fighting Millionaires.  Apparently Millionaire is now a divisive word.  

"But a new generation of students say it’s time for a new nickname – because they feel the word “millionaire” has become offensive and divisive."

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/07/06/students-say-millionaire-mascot-is-divisive.html

Mo' Money Mo' Problems

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Maybe change their name to the Warrriors.....as in Social Justice Warriors!!! :D

On 6/2/2017 at 11:12 PM, Siouxperfan7 said:

No mascot is safe!!!

Petition Started To Change “Racist Mascot” For LSU

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2017/05/30/petition-started-to-change-racist-mascot-for-lsu/

this is just like when SJW's tried to change the name of lake Calhoun because it was named after a racist former VIce-President, the reality is that they were probably the only ones who knew this, and they probably had to do a fair bit of digging to find out that information. People are going out of there way to be offended... fucking sjw's.

SJW.jpg

From a story about the retirement of Leigh Jeanotte: 

He’s is most proud that with the help of others, especially Emil LaRocque, director of the Tribal Scholarship Program at Turtle Mountain Community College, a tuition waiver was created for American Indian students.

“The State Board of Higher Education turned us down many times,” Jeanotte said. “But Emil and I kept trying. Finally, we decided to try one more time, and the Board approved it. That program has assisted so many American Indian and other under-represented students, and it exists today for all 11 institutions. I feel good about that.”

So there is a tuition waiver for Native Americans at UND - over the years I've read many letters and quotes that said that Native Americans did not receive any special treatment?

Just to be clear - I'm not saying it is a good or bad thing.   

9 hours ago, CMSioux said:

From a story about the retirement of Leigh Jeanotte: 

He’s is most proud that with the help of others, especially Emil LaRocque, director of the Tribal Scholarship Program at Turtle Mountain Community College, a tuition waiver was created for American Indian students.

“The State Board of Higher Education turned us down many times,” Jeanotte said. “But Emil and I kept trying. Finally, we decided to try one more time, and the Board approved it. That program has assisted so many American Indian and other under-represented students, and it exists today for all 11 institutions. I feel good about that.”

So there is a tuition waiver for Native Americans at UND - over the years I've read many letters and quotes that said that Native Americans did not receive any special treatment?

Just to be clear - I'm not saying it is a good or bad thing.   

If you look at the UND web site it looks like the program is for all historically under represented groups. It is called the Cultural Diversity Tuition Waiver. That includes Native Americans, Alaska Natives, African Americans and Asian Americans. It isn't automatic, they have to apply. In North Dakota Native Americans make up the largest portion of those groups, so they get most of the available waivers. Most Native Americans do not receive tuition waivers. There are also some scholarships that are aimed specifically at Native Americans. People used to claim that Native Americans went to school for free, that is not true in most cases, but I'm sure there are some that do just like there are students in other categories that end up going to school for free.

You can also find scholarships and waiver programs to reward many other groups including the families of service personnel that have died, people from certain towns or counties, people studying specific subjects, students with disabilities, National Merit Scholars, etc. You can find a lot of information on these sites, although I'm sure they are not complete, http://www.ndus.edu/students/paying-for-college/grants-scholarships/#NDCTES and http://und.edu/admissions/financial-aid/types-of-aid/undergrad-scholarships.cfm.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, homer said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/usc-mascot-comes-under-fire-174950068.html

Not the nickname but will this lead to round 2 of the PC police? 

This trying to connect the dots by those that are offended by everything is absurd.........and it is now getting completely out of hand.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

This trying to connect the dots by those that are offended by everything is absurd.........and it is now getting completely out of hand.

I wish I could hit the green arrow a bunch more times. I'm so sick of people looking for ANYTHING to be offended by, GET A F**KING LIFE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 3

On 8/20/2017 at 3:40 PM, homer said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/usc-mascot-comes-under-fire-174950068.html

Not the nickname but will this lead to round 2 of the PC police? 

23 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Good effing grief!

42 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Is this from the onion?

Edit: Although the story is now running in multiple publications, including several that are left-leaning, this Clay Travis from Fox Sports seems to be the only source so far. I really hope it's fake, but nothing will surprise me anymore.

Not really an "Indian Nicknames in the News" story, but interesting, nonetheless...

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/news/4317631-top-american-indian-stylemakers-home-base-tiny-nd-town-population-29

A nice story...until I got to the picture at the bottom.  How does a place open its doors in Belcourt, ND, and call itself the "Scalp Um Shop" without some brushback?  

Imagine the protests if a place with that name opened in Fargo or Bismarck...or on the campus of the University of North Dakota...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Not really an "Indian Nicknames in the News" story, but interesting, nonetheless...

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/news/4317631-top-american-indian-stylemakers-home-base-tiny-nd-town-population-29

A nice story...until I got to the picture at the bottom.  How does a place open its doors in Belcourt, ND, and call itself the "Scalp Um Shop" without some brushback?  

Imagine the protests if a place with that name opened in Fargo or Bismarck...or on the campus of the University of North Dakota...

It is part of the current double standard in this country that allows many within the BLM movement to scream "Kill Whitey" and "Kill all white babies" without backlash or criticism. 

.....and for what it's worth I was at the gym yesterday in Fargo visiting with a guy about the big fight Saturday night.  He goes on and on about Mayweather: "That n***a probably can't read or write and he barely can speak English"! Was kind of taken aback by that sequence in the conversation especially because this guy is black. 

Oh well.......we all have offensive statues to deal with I guess.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

They can do that cause it's on the Rez. Just like indian nicknames it's perfectly fine on the Rez but off the Rez "people shouldn't be mascots" can be heard. 

53 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

It is part of the current double standard in this country that allows many within the BLM movement to scream "Kill Whitey" and "Kill all white babies" without backlash or criticism.

Come on, even though you added the qualifier "many" it is still very hyperbolic. Black Lives Matter is more of an, as you say, movement . . .  not a group. The movement does not want to kill all white babies, that's ridiculous. They do not have a charter or a platform that endorses anything of that sort and to compare one or two assholes that aren't white with an entire institution whose history is explicitly built on prejudice, hate, and fear mongering is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, joeyjr said:

Come on, even though you added the qualifier "many" it is still very hyperbolic. Black Lives Matter is more of an, as you say, movement . . .  not a group. The movement does not want to kill all white babies, that's ridiculous. They do not have a charter or a platform that endorses anything of that sort and to compare one or two assholes that aren't white with an entire institution whose history is explicitly built on prejudice, hate, and fear mongering is ridiculous.

So hate and prejudice need to have some justifiable prerequisites like having a "charter" or a "platform"?  Hmmmmmmm.......makes perfect sense now. Thanks for clearing the air for me.

.....and obviously, according to you, if one makes hateful, racial or prejudice comments it is one's race that then quantifies if he or she as being racist or just being an a**hole?

http://deadspin.com/illinois-athletics-director-i-love-our-war-chant-but-1798521068

More changes at Illinois.

The University of Illinois announced today that they would stop their traditional practice of playing “war chant” music at athletic events, a decade after they discontinued the use of their Chief Illiniwek mascot at the NCAA’s behest.