SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just saying you can only control so much.

I know, I know, Goon and others might think I'm a tin-foil hat away from being certifiably nuts about this issue, but if you would have told me when REA opened that by 2013, the Sioux nickname and logo would be no more and the words "HOME OF THE FIGHTING SIOUX" would be decorations in someone's back yard, I'd have said you were nuts too.

But no protection for stupid, drunk white kids wearing inappropriate t-shirts?

Really don't think Globe University in Fargo gives a **** about it's student and what they wear.

Hmnnn...and if these "students" are suspended or expelled and they make an appearance at the local ACLU office alongside the AISS group, which one do you think will get the ear of the staff attorneys there?

I know, I know, Goon and others might think I'm a tin-foil hat away from being certifiably nuts about this issue, but if you would have told me when REA opened that by 2013, the Sioux nickname and logo would be no more and the words "HOME OF THE FIGHTING SIOUX" would be decorations in someone's back yard, I'd have said you were nuts too.

Now wait a minute, I didn't mention the tin-foil hats, yet.

My Spidey-senses were tingling though. Now leave me alone for a while, Goon. You're interrupting the voices in my head.

I sent the black helicopter to your back yard... On board is a swat team.

Sounds like UND just threw a gag order at the American Indian Student Service Staff, or at least that is what is being said on twitter.

If (big IF) that's true the poetic justice and irony is just rich:

- Kupchella, the man they hated, let them speak freely, but let everyone else speak also

- Kelley, the man they idolize, got them what they wanted, then gagged them

Too good.

If (big IF) that's true the poetic justice and irony is just rich:

- Kupchella, the man they hated, let them speak freely, but let everyone else speak also

- Kelley, the man they idolize, got them what they wanted, then gagged them

Too good.

From reading other twitter accounts its looks like its very true, as now some are taking shots at Englestad. The problem of twitter is of course they could just be saying that. However, its been a few hours since I posted that I have not seen any UND statement saying that this is false.

It appeared to be a Kupchella quote if you looked at parts 1-6.

Yeah, I realize that, but what are they going to prosecute the one student for?

eric d @ericxdelta

· 24m

.@myUND (4/6) "We will continue to investigate these activities and when perpetrators are identified, ..." #siouxperdrunk

eric d @ericxdelta · 24m
.@myUND (3/6) "...for harassing, demeaning or culturally insensitive acts." #siouxperdrunk

eric d @ericxdelta · 25m

(2/6) "There is no place at the University of North Dakota – or anywhere else, for that matter – ..."

WIqUb_xK_normal.jpegeric d @ericxdelta · 25m

.@myUND (1/6) Pres. Kelley's immediate predecessor said this: "These acts are not tolerated at UND." #siouxperdrunk

[*]ReplyReplied to 0 times

[*]RetweetRetweeted 2 times2

[*]FavoriteFavorited 0 times

[*]More

It appeared to be a Kupchella quote if you looked at parts 1-6.

I assume that anyone related to UND that in any way threatened those that wore the shirts with physical violence or death threats will be held to the same standards. Seems that would be a violation of the Code of Student Life as well.

I assume that anyone related to UND that in any way threatened those that wore the shirts with physical violence or death threats will be held to the same standards. Seems that would be a violation of the Code of Student Life as well.

You would certainly hope so.

Here is Breaking News

I don't ever give Kelly any love in fact in the begining of this I was really thinking he would say or do something stupid & I confess I would have enjoyed it

That being said I bet on this whole mess he is finally seeing what we have dealt with for many yrs. I hope he comes out & says what we all are thinking & sets the record straight & shows a pair & deals with the real problems here. Then for once I will be impressed with his leadership

PS..... I do agree with his original statement condeming the t shirts but now the rest of the story needs to be told

My buddy just got a campus wide e-mail from Kelley stating they are working on a plan to rid the campus of this disrespectful and offensive behavior...I can only hope he plans a Michelle Obama approach which involves a selfie of him holding a large cue card stating something oblivious with a hashtag in front. Oh, the best part is there will be a video message posted at und.edu...get there before all the best bandwidth is taken up!

Here is Breaking News

I don't ever give Kelly any love in fact in the begining of this I was really thinking he would say or do something stupid & I confess I would have enjoyed it

That being said I bet on this whole mess he is finally seeing what we have dealt with for many yrs. I hope he comes out & says what we all are thinking & sets the record straight & shows a pair & deals with the real problems here. Then for once I will be impressed with his leadership

PS..... I do agree with his original statement condeming the t shirts but now the rest of the story needs to be told

My buddy just got a campus wide e-mail from Kelley stating they are working on a plan to rid the campus of this disrespectful and offensive behavior...I can only hope he plans a Michelle Obama approach which involves a selfie of him holding a large cue card stating something oblivious with a hashtag in front. Oh, the best part is there will be a video message posted at und.edu...get there before all the best bandwidth is taken up!

Still hoping, Fetch?