SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

http://lastrealindia...r-erich-longie/

"...that happened at UND over the weekend."

And now an explosive charge of a professorship at UND being offered in exchange for a viewpoint change? Here's comes a UND investigation.

So, does UND sit and wait another 5, 10, 15, maybe 20 years before the die-hard alumni who wear Sioux jerseys just fade away into oblivion? Or does UND take a new, dramatic step of cutting the snake off at the head and banning the display and wearing of Sioux jerseys or t-shirts at sporting events?

Will you be in the "I'll never attend another game at UND if that happens" crowd and burn your season tickets? Or will you suck it up and find something else to wear to the game when the football team is 8-0 and ranked #1 in the country heading into a home game against the Bison, the women's basketball team is hosting a conference championship game, or the hockey team is on a 15-game home winning streak and Minnesota comes to town? Are you going to stay away based on loyalty to a dead nickname and logo?

Has nothing to do with your last paragraph...no one is going to tell me as a long time season ticket holder what I can wear and what I can't into an event that I paid to see...period.

BTW...when has Jeanotte, Scott, et al...ever planned a march for "change" on the SR and /or SL res. Oh wait...NEVER! They are activitst but only sensational social media activists. They are the poor versions of Sharpton and Jackson. Truly pathetic individuals to the core!!

Has nothing to do with your last paragraph...no one is going to tell me as a long time season ticket holder what I can wear and what I can't...period.

BTW...when has Jeanoote, Scott, et al...ever planned a march for "change" on the SR and /or SL res. Oh wait...they are activitst but only sensational activists. They are the poor versions of Sharpton and Jackson. Pathetic individuals to to the core!!

So if they say everyone (fans included) can't wear gear at games...what building can they apply this to? Alerus (city owned) REA, Betty (privately owned) sorry...not going to happen.

So if they say everyone (fans included) can't wear gear at games...what building can they apply this to? Alerus (city owned) REA, Betty (privately owned) sorry...not going to happen.

Exactly...and let's make this clear UND needs the Ralph more than the Ralph needs UND. If Fargo can support a USHL team don't think that GF couldn't get enough butts in the seats at the Ralph to keep it afloat and then where does the hockey team play? Build another 12K facility. Nope...................

Were the t-shirts totally out of bounds...yes, but this is seriously getting out of hand. Like ScottM has said prior if all these minorities, students and academic pinheads are so offended how can they keep showing up at UND on daily basis? Scrap all the "feel good" programs at UND and let go on their merry way to a happier place.

Racism now in FARGO!

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/434686/

But one mom, Elaine Bolman, said asking her daughter and her classmates to dress up like an Indian is offensive.

“I'm not in a position to do anything for these educators, and hopefully those people that are can make the right choices so all students of any culture and race won't feel singled out or like their race is being stereotyped against,” Bolman said.

Paging Mister Jeanotte, Mister Leigh Jeanotte ...

http://lastrealindia...r-erich-longie/

"...that happened at UND over the weekend."

And now an explosive charge of a professorship at UND being offered in exchange for a viewpoint change? Here's comes a UND investigation.

So, does UND sit and wait another 5, 10, 15, maybe 20 years before the die-hard alumni who wear Sioux jerseys just fade away into oblivion? Or does UND take a new, dramatic step of cutting the snake off at the head and banning the display and wearing of Sioux jerseys or t-shirts at sporting events?

Will you be in the "I'll never attend another game at UND if that happens" crowd and burn your season tickets? Or will you suck it up and find something else to wear to the game when the football team is 8-0 and ranked #1 in the country heading into a home game against the Bison, the women's basketball team is hosting a conference championship game, or the hockey team is on a 15-game home winning streak and Minnesota comes to town? Are you going to stay away based on loyalty to a dead nickname and logo?

So what can they ban - just the logo - anything that says Sioux, an eagle feather on a shirt? Someone in Grand Forks should oganize a "Spirit Walk" for UND Homecoming. Everyone meets at University Park in Fighting Sioux clothing and walks around the campus in a route returning to Univesity Park where a rally is held and people like Archie Fool Bear speak about the positives associated with the history of the Fighting Sioux logo. Not a rally to bring back the logo a rally to remember the history of it.

Racism now in FARGO!

http://www.inforum.c...icle/id/434686/

Paging Mister Jeanotte, Mister Leigh Jeanotte ...

The students were supposed to be performing the song “Y.M.C.A.” during Bennett Elementary School’s May talent show.

What if there is no black child in the class, are you going to force a white kid to be black? Paging Rev. Al.

So privately-owned facilities can't force you to wear certain types of clothing or throw you out for wearing certain types of clothing. As a test-run of this theory, I'm going to see if Oxbow6 will wear his man-kini to church on Sunday and see if he's asked to leave.

So privately-owned facilities can't force you to wear certain types of clothing or throw you out for wearing certain types of clothing. As a test-run of this theory, I'm going to see if Oxbow6 will wear his man-kini to church on Sunday and see if he's asked to leave.

What about UND banning it but the people at the Alerus saying its okay. Then what?? Or at the REA. UND-no, REA-yes. Who overrides whom? Since UND only owns Memorial Stadium I would think UND follows what the other buildings say.

Definitely will be a few things offensive in that scenario...and I'm not even considering the the full Indian headdress I'll be wearing too!!!

So what can they ban - just the logo - anything that says Sioux, an eagle feather on a shirt? Someone in Grand Forks should oganize a "Spirit Walk" for UND Homecoming. Everyone meets at University Park in Fighting Sioux clothing and walks around the campus in a route returning to Univesity Park where a rally is held and people like Archie Fool Bear speak about the positives associated with the history of the Fighting Sioux logo. Not a rally to bring back the logo a rally to remember the history of it.

I don't know what they can ban...but obviously an outright ban is what these people want.

What about UND banning it but the people at the Alerus saying its okay. Then what?? Or at the REA. UND-no, REA-yes. Who overrides whom? Since UND only owns Memorial Stadium I would think UND follows what the other buildings say.

What's the Alerus going to do to stay somewhat profitable if UND threatens to move football games unless a clothing ban is instituted? Invite Warrant to play a couple shows this fall? A tractor pull? Monster Jam? If UND says "kick out anyone wearing a Sioux logo," the folks at the Alerus are going to respond with "YES SIR!".

I want to eat dessert for breakfast, I want to be able to drink beer and not gain weight, I want to have the Native American Cultural Center at UND closed - doesn't mean it's going to happen even if I do write and send out a press release.

What's the Alerus going to do to stay somewhat profitable if UND threatens to move football games unless a clothing ban is instituted? Invite Warrant to play a couple shows this fall? A tractor pull? Monster Jam? If UND says "kick out anyone wearing a Sioux logo," the folks at the Alerus are going to respond with "YES SIR!".

That's where having a "Sioux Out" comes into play - promote through social media, local media and students to have EVERYONE shows up in Fighting Sioux clothing and let's see how they handle that.

There would be less people at a UND football game than there was against Northern Colorado last year if they did that. Kelley better have a statement on this "separate" issue. He said when the name was retired that anyone can still wear the logo at an event, well has that position changed?

There would be less people at a UND football game than there was against Northern Colorado last year if they did that. Kelley better have a statement on this "separate" issue. He said when the name was retired that anyone can still wear the logo at an event, well has that position changed?

And Ralph said the Fighting Sioux name and logo would live on forever. Has THAT changed? Kelley could whip up a policy reversal quicker than you can say "extenuating circumances" or "in light of recent events...".

There would be less people at a UND football game than there was against Northern Colorado last year if they did that.

Short-term loss...long-term gain. You want to deal with 500 people attending football games and 3,000 attending hockey games for a few seasons...or would you prefer to have UND continue to be dragged thru the mud on a daily basis on TV, the newspapers, and the interwebs, watch student enrollment drop, and the name-brand "University of North Dakota" continue to be de-valued? See also: Penn State.

Sorry Hayduke I totally disagree with these idiots http://www.grandfork...hirt-incident-0

After the truth came out it was not at all what it seemed to be & got blown out of proportion by people like this - that I hate for being the cause of our name going away

Ignore them & let it go (I wish at least the Herald could get the story right)

The name will change (& hopefully the Admin.)

But the majority will be proud of the old name for all the right reasons (Like we always have been)

I hope No One shows up for the stupid march

Oh, I understand. I just think at this point, get a nickname and put this behind us..at some level. It's really a no win situation for the university.

Short-term loss...long-term gain. You want to deal with 500 people attending football games and 3,000 attending hockey games for a few seasons...or would you prefer to have UND continue to be dragged thru the mud on a daily basis on TV, the newspapers, and the interwebs, watch student enrollment drop, and the name-brand "University of North Dakota" continue to be de-valued? See also: Penn State.

We are BFFs but Penn St.? Really? Child molesters equals stupid, drunk white kids wearing ill advised t-shirts?

What pharmacy do you use? If send them a Rx for you or at a minimum reach out to someone...like gfhockey. ;)

Things will change when UND has a new nickname.

We are BFFs but Penn St.? Really? Child molesters equals stupid, drunk white kids wearing ill advised t-shirts?

What pharmacy do you use? If send them a Rx for you or at a minimum reach out to someone...like gfhockey. ;)

I'm not comparing the nickname to sexual abuse, Oxbow6, I'm simply pointing out what Penn State did: Nuke everything related to Paterno and start over.

Let me throw this out there - suppose the NCAA decides that this situation has become too toxic and changes the goal line again, only this time, they tell UND to ban fans from wearing anything related to those logos at events? If UND does not comply, they will again be placed on the "hostile and abusive" list. Do you doubt for one second that Kelley wouldn't immediately put together a plan to do just that AND enforce it?

You don't have to go far to find bans on items at stadiums...Ole Miss has banned the "Stars and Bars" for years now. Right, wrong, good, bad, or indifferent, a ban on clothing, flags, etc. is NOT unprecedented.

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2013/10/former_ole_miss_chancellor_tal.html

I'm not comparing the nickname to sexual abuse, Oxbow6, I'm simply pointing out what Penn State did: Nuke everything related to Paterno and start over.

Let me throw this out there - suppose the NCAA decides that this situation has become too toxic and changes the goal line again, only this time, they tell UND to ban fans from wearing anything related to those logos at events? If UND does not comply, they will again be placed on the "hostile and abusive" list. Do you doubt for one second that Kelley wouldn't immediately put together a plan to do just that AND enforce it?

You don't have to go far to find bans on items at stadiums...Ole Miss has banned the "Stars and Bars" for years now. Right, wrong, good, bad, or indifferent, a ban on clothing, flags, etc. is NOT unprecedented.

http://www.al.com/en...cellor_tal.html

So by the end of that year, from 1997 to 1998, we went from a stadium full of flags to a stadium with no flags. And we did that by adopting a rule that you could not bring a pointed object into the stadium, whether it was an umbrella, a hot dog on a stick, or a flag on a stick. And we limited the size of flags and signs to something like 10 inches by 14 inches. So we were within the bounds of the First Amendment. . . .

See reference to First Amendment - what they banned was not a shirt they banned "Pointed Objects".

http://www.al.com/en...cellor_tal.html

IF the NCAA were to decide to go that route, this toxic situation has litigation written all over it?

I saw a NA female yesterday...history of alcoholism, diabetes, blah, blah, blah...and has 2 fetal alcohol syndrome children.

But let's focus on t-shirts, logos and hurt feelings...............................

So by the end of that year, from 1997 to 1998, we went from a stadium full of flags to a stadium with no flags. And we did that by adopting a rule that you could not bring a pointed object into the stadium, whether it was an umbrella, a hot dog on a stick, or a flag on a stick. And we limited the size of flags and signs to something like 10 inches by 14 inches. So we were within the bounds of the First Amendment. . . .

See reference to First Amendment - what they banned was not a shirt they banned "Pointed Objects".

http://onlineathens....820000027.shtml

The ban was upheld in 2000 and includes flags WITHOUT STICKS OR POLES bigger than 12X14. Where there's a will, there's a way...

The ban covers umbrellas, alcoholic beverages, flags and all banners -- flags without sticks -- larger than 12 by 14 inches. The ban was intended to keep the Confederate banner out of Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.