SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

https://www.facebook.com/edshow

"Expel them!"

OK...and if they're not students, then what? Tar-and-feather them? Revoke their US citizenship? Force them to either take a cyanide pill or jump from the Demers Ave bridge into the Red River? What would appease the mob?

Judging from the comments appearing on "The Ed Show," it would appear that not only are all of these kids students of the University of Noth Dakota, their parents are all members of the Republican Party! It's time to #MarchforChange...it's time for President Kelley to take action and ban Young Republicans as a campus organization.

Some of the comments on that Facebook page are ridiculous.

Never watched scandal. And never worked in news or politics. But if things happen in real life the way they happen in house of cards it's a little scary.

And dexter what a series! I'll miss that show.

I am working my way through Dexter, very thought provoking show.

Silly me.

I forgot that when UND dropped "that" moniker it was given power to solve everything from world hunger to simple, chronic halitosis.

Clearly, UND should've foreseen non-UND students creating t-shirts with a non-UND logo attending a non-UND event at a non-UND facility and headed it off.

http://onlineathens....820000027.shtml

The ban was upheld in 2000 and includes flags WITHOUT STICKS OR POLES bigger than 12X14. Where there's a will, there's a way...

You're missing the point. While the obvious target was the confederate flag, Ole Miss' actual policy was content neutral. It did not single out a specific flag or image. Any flag with a stick or pole, or any flag bigger than 12X14 was banned under the policy.

When a policy is not content neutral (i.e. targets a specific logo or image), it greatly increases the constitutional scrutiny.

If these stories were accurate they would read "A group of young adults posted images of themselves wearing t-shirts that could be considered racist toward Native Americans. The images appear to be taken at a private residence at a private party."

The Herald can't sell any newspapers with that story.

You're missing the point. While the obvious target was the confederate flag, Ole Miss' actual policy was content neutral. It did not single out a specific flag or image. Any flag with a stick or pole, or any flag bigger than 12X14 was banned under the policy.

When a policy is not content neutral (i.e. targets a specific logo or image), it greatly increases the constitutional scrutiny.

I'm no constitutional expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Ole Miss obviously wanted the flag banned and had to come up with a work-around to do it. I'm not a total moron as to what the intent of their action was. Similarly, UND and its high-buck staff attorneys can probably think of something similar.

I'm no constitutional expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Ole Miss obviously wanted the flag banned and had to come up with a work-around to do it. I'm not a total moron as to what the intent of their action was. Similarly, UND and its high-buck staff attorneys can probably think of something similar.

I got it. No shirts allowed on campus!

431063_151733298281457_1442183338_t.jpg

William Bell A Direct result of the Republican Party, Faux News and Hate Radio, the new America.

197873_2017956447592_7644335_t.jpg

James M Wardell absolute morons, great parenting from Im sure, so called republican christians.

600249_1002029915098_1903163647_t.jpg?oh=b80857bbf9934eaeccb73d4a47c4cba5&oe=54077535&__gda__=1409775589_8c1109bb9e5ce2f712e3eb7bc9d4d890

Carol Grooms I'll bet my next drink of Jack Daniels that these TURDS are all Republicans. They are learning a lot in higher education aren't they. How to screw minorities. Isn't that the Republican trend?

1 · 14 hours ago · Edited

Melinda Pagliaro-Parker I'm not surprised, a white, right state...

1 · 19 hours ago

Matt Coleman I wonder how many of these "Siouxper Drunk" students have parents who are registered as Republicans.

306592_419905098060453_494733340_t.jpg

Matt Coleman I think it's a valid discussion to have on this subject, Lucas. It's Republicans and conservatives who keep insisting that institutionalized racism no longer exists in the U.S., so I would like to know where they would get that idea if their own kids are bigots.

Anyone else noticing a theme here with these responses...

William Bell A Direct result of the Republican Party, Faux News and Hate Radio, the new America.

James M Wardell absolute morons, great parenting from Im sure, so called republican christians.

600249_1002029915098_1903163647_t.jpg?oh=b80857bbf9934eaeccb73d4a47c4cba5&oe=54077535&__gda__=1409775589_8c1109bb9e5ce2f712e3eb7bc9d4d890

Carol Grooms I'll bet my next drink of Jack Daniels that these TURDS are all Republicans. They are learning a lot in higher education aren't they. How to screw minorities. Isn't that the Republican trend?

1 · 19 hours ago

Matt Coleman I wonder how many of these "Siouxper Drunk" students have parents who are registered as Republicans.

Matt Coleman I think it's a valid discussion to have on this subject, Lucas. It's Republicans and conservatives who keep insisting that institutionalized racism no longer exists in the U.S., so I would like to know where they would get that idea if their own kids are bigots.

Massive stupidity from the lunatic left.......it's a disease

I'm no constitutional expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Ole Miss obviously wanted the flag banned and had to come up with a work-around to do it. I'm not a total moron as to what the intent of their action was.

Well, yes, the objective was to get rid of fans waving confederate flags. But they were able to come up with a content-neutral policy to achieve that objective. It's not so easy to do that when you are trying to ban clothing.

Similarly, UND and its high-buck staff attorneys can probably think of something similar.

I guess it wouldn't surprise me at this point to see them try. It would easier to challenge in court than the Ole Miss example, but even if it's ultimately struck down by the courts, administrators will have at least taken the pressure off themselves and will have someone else to blame.

I think re-education classes (in the name of diversity or sensitivity training) for incoming freshmen is a foregone conclusion. Who knows where it will go from there, but it certainly will not be kind to free speech and free thought. You don't create a "Associate Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion" position and expect that person to not do anything.

Didn't the follow-up articles say things like "it's a long-ter process" and "we have no concrete plans right now." That makes me think that it's not going to be such as radical decision - you can bet they are talking with plenty of lawyers about what they can do and how to achieve it - banning logo clothing hard to imagine - banning hostile and abusive signs, clothing etc. and setting clear gudelines for punishments toward students involved that I can see.

Massive stupidity from the lunatic left.......it's a disease

I have to believe that there are some moderate-to-slightly-left-of-center folks who may disagree with those statements...and hate to generalize all left-wingers as "lunatic."

http://watchdog.org/144884/fighting-sioux/

Kyle Thorson, a member of the UND student government and a Democrat running for the state House in District 43, has proposed a resolution that would bar any member of the student government from expressing support for the former nickname.

Now we're proposing resolutions to ban thoughts from being spoken out loud. I suggest that candidate Thorson should replace the (D) in front of his name with a ( C ) or at the very least, an (S).

1 · 19 hours ago

What do you expect? MSNBC is not news, but rather progressive liberal indoctrination.

Would this be happening if there was no cooling off period and we were on year 2 of being the UND Fighting xxxx? I think the cooling off period is doing more harm than good.

There were many people who thought that when it was put into law.

http://watchdog.org/...fighting-sioux/

Now we're proposing resolutions to ban thoughts from being spoken out loud. I suggest that candidate Thorson should replace the (D) in front of his name with a © or at the very least, an (S).

I don't have words to describe this. One has to read the whole thing to really believe it.

http://www.scribd.co...Indian-Students

Pass a resolution prohibiting fellow legislators from speaking an opposing viewpoint? Really? Can someone this openly repressive possibly get elected to the North Dakota House of Representatives? Has the Herald covered this guy's resolution? Did it pass? What was the vote? I don't care where you stand on the nickname issue or whether you are a Republican, Democrat, or Independent, Kyle Thorson is not fit for public office. Regular people in Grand Forks need to know about Kyle Thorson and actually get involved to make sure he never gets elected to anything outside of UND.

• Upvote 1

Would this be happening if there was no cooling off period and we were on year 2 of being the UND Fighting xxxx? I think the cooling off period is doing more harm than good.

You can't fill a void with a nothing.

We had a Ferrari.

It was declared illegal for the road.

Worse? We're stuck with no car until 1/1/15.

But, please, when we can have one, no Yugo or Ford Fiesta.

What do you expect? MSNBC is not news, but rather progressive liberal indoctrination.

You could say the exact same thing about Fox News but for the right wing. That's why you shouldn't rely on one network for your news because they all have their own private agenda with MSNBC and Fox News being the two most obvious ones.