SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

Here's a tweet that I found from Waterlover of USCHO fame.

Chad C (@waterloverc)

5/12/14, 8:52 AM

@therealbeersong @myUND @UNDsports @gfherald if UND was serious they'd be suspending people who wear hostile and abusive clothing

That would be fine because clothes that say Fighitng Sioux are not considered hostile and abusive by the NCAA or mainstream. There are many Spirit Lake and Standing Rock SIoux that wear Fighting Sioux clothing. It's easy to throw out comments and cast stones when you don't know what you are talking about.

If these guys aren't UND students, and this isn't a UND event, I don't know what they can do? An apology seems like the most they can do.

Should UND apologize for Don Jones of the Dolphins tweet regarding the Rams drafting Sam?

Should UND apologize to the Boston Catholic archdiocese for a group at Harvard hosting a Satanic black mass?

Makes about as much sense.

What? Why am I apologizing?

You're missing the point, Goon. It doesn't matter that Oxbow6 typed the word 'stupid.' I want an apology from you. And if you don't give me one, I'm going to stage a protest walk until CMSioux is suspended from his job.

You're missing the point, Goon. It doesn't matter that Oxbow6 typed the word 'stupid.' I want an apology from you. And if you don't give me one, I'm going to stage a protest walk until CMSioux is suspended from his job.

[sighs] and [scoffs]

Maybe you guys are right...they couldn't POSSIBLY ban the wearing of Sioux hockey jerseys on campus or in REA. Next thing you know, you'll be telling me that kids in the US can't wear clothing with the American flag on it in AMERICAN schools...we all know that that's simply not going to happen ever, right?

http://www.nationalr...-andrew-johnson

The courts apply significantly different standards of constitutional rights in high schools than they do in other social locations because people are required to attend school and cannot opt out. This court case didn't say students couldn't ever wear shirts with American flags on them; it simply said they could be banned on one particular day because of the risk of disruption to the educational experience at the school, which is a standard that is only applied to elementary and secondary schools.

I'm already on double secret probation for spending too much time in chat rooms on company time.
  • Upvote 1

The courts apply significantly different standards of constitutional rights in high schools than they do in other social locations because people are required to attend school and cannot opt out. This court case didn't say students couldn't ever wear shirts with American flags on them; it simply said they could be banned on one particular day because of the risk of disruption to the educational experience at the school, which is a standard that is only applied to elementary and secondary schools.

Oh, that's right. We can't have kids in Mexican gangs threatening them and starting fights, so if we just ban the colors of the US on a select day, there should be no problems at all.

The founding fathers must be turning over in their graves...then again, they probably have been for quite some time.

Oh, that's right. We can't have kids in Mexican gangs threatening them and starting fights, so if we just ban the colors of the US on a select day, there should be no problems at all.

The founding fathers must be turning over in their graves...then again, they probably have been for quite some time.

Never said I thought the courts reasoning on limiting free speech in high schools was good. I tend to think they are far too restrictive. I was just pointing out that the reasoning used by the courts in that case wouldn't be applicable to a college setting.

Here's a tweet that I found from Waterlover of USCHO fame.

Chad C (@waterloverc)

5/12/14, 8:52 AM

@therealbeersong @myUND @UNDsports @gfherald if UND was serious they'd be suspending people who wear hostile and abusive clothing

That's right no wearing any Indiana (PA) Indians gear or Alcorn State Braves gear for UND students.

Never said I thought the courts reasoning on limiting free speech in high schools was good. I tend to think they are far too restrictive. I was just pointing out that the reasoning used by the courts in that case wouldn't be applicable to a college setting.

I apologize if my post came off like a fire-back comment at you specifically. I certainly understand the "rationale" used by the Ninth Circuit Court in applying the rights of high school administrators, but that still doesn't explain the lunacy of their decision. If my frustration seemed directed at you, it wasn't. This issue really has me fired up. Nevermind the dumb-a** decision to come up with these t-shirts, these young people don't need to be "outed," have their houses egged, tires slit, or receive death threats. Mob rule has come to roost in the US, apparently. Don't agree with the mob...then get out.

Keep in mind, we're not talking about a "college" setting here with respect to Indian-head or Sioux logos being worn by fans. If I don't want you in my fraternity, I don't have to let you in. If I don't want you patronizing my business, I can ask you to leave. Similarly, if the folks at REA (due to pressure from outside sources, INCLUDING the University of North Dakota) decide that it's simply a firecracker waiting to explode if they let fans wearing SIoux jerseys in the building, why is it so unrealistic to believe that they won't impose such a policy excluding such items of clothing from being worn in the first place?

I apologize if my post came off like a fire-back comment at you specifically. I certainly understand the "rationale" used by the Ninth Circuit Court in applying the rights of high school administrators, but that still doesn't explain the lunacy of their decision.

Keep in mind, we're not talking about a "college" setting here with respect to Indian-head or Sioux logos being worn by fans. If I don't want you in my fraternity, I don't have to let you in. If I don't want you patronizing my business, I can ask you to leave. Similarly, if the folks at REA (due to pressure from outside sources, INCLUDING the University of North Dakota) decide that it's simply a firecracker waiting to explode if they let fans wearing SIoux jerseys in the building, why is it so unrealistic to believe that they won't impose such a policy excluding such items of clothing from being worn in the first place?

I know I know...because Ralph said so that's why.

So just a recap:

1. The individuals wearing the shirts are not UND students.

2. The individuals wearing the shirts are not UND alumni.

3. The individuals wearing the shirts did not wear them to springfest.

4. Even if they were to wear the shirts to springfest, springfest is not a UND event.

5. Even if they were to wear the shirts to University Park, University Park is not owned and/or managed by UND.

6. The shirts did not use the UND Fighting Sioux logo.

7. This is all UND's fault and we are all racist.....

I think you pretty much captured the spirit of this, right there.

So just a recap:

4. Even if they were to wear the shirts to springfest, springfest is not a UND event.

5. Even if they were to wear the shirts to University Park, University Park is not owned and/or managed by UND.

8. UND must apologize for 1 through 7 (above).

These days there seems to be a vocal minority on social media that will use any issue to kick and scream about racism and inequality. Were these shirts in poor taste...obviously, but all this racial division (here and nationally) is only getting worse. This is a very slippery slope and the progressive agenda is driving this. Al Sharpton is a prime example of this. Let's not kid ourselves, this guy only reports on racially driven issues and his only motivation is to stir the pot.

I find myself thinking...where will all this end? I don't have an answer but it seems that the "thought police" will eventually take over and the 1st amendment will be dead as we know it. I do not consider myself a conspiracy theorist but these racial issues are only getting worse and a tipping point will eventually be reached if this crap isn't curtailed.

I apologize for the rant but this racial crap is just getting old.

• Upvote 1

So just a recap:

I think you pretty much captured the spirit of this, right there.

In what context of the word did you mean "spirit," Ray77? I hope it wasn't Native-American related...

At the Wild game last Saturday night a guy was drunk and really loud...in a Toews red Hawks sweater...with a full NA head dress on. At no point did I try to add all that up to equal all Indians are drunks like all students at UND are now racist per Jeanotte et al. It was just a drunk stupid loud white guy!