SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

http://www.uni-watch...mascot-history/

Could you imagine if at the REA students wore headdresses to games?

From the Marquette story: Today’s Marquette players and students weren’t even born when the team was last known as the Warriors. Yet students still wear “Indian” headdresses to games and chant for the Warriors.

So even recently Marquette lets students in the building wearing Native American Headresses? Wow - where are the cameras - sounds like they need to have a Walk for Change and a Native American Cultural Center on their campus - perhaps they would take UNDs?

From the Marquette story: Today’s Marquette players and students weren’t even born when the team was last known as the Warriors. Yet students still wear “Indian” headdresses to games and chant for the Warriors.

So even recently Marquette lets students in the building wearing Native American Headresses? Wow - where are the cameras - sounds like they need to have a Walk for Change and a Native American Cultural Center on their campus - perhaps they would take UNDs?

The rest of the story is how people want the name Warriors back even if its like the GS Warriors, but the school doesn't want to go down that road again. Anything closely related or could be related to NA won't be UND's new nickname.

Chase Iron Eyes @Lastrealndn17h

Doesn't matter that #SiouxperDrunk was or was not on UND property, clearly a pejorative jab at our people. Were the offenders UND students?

This is what we're up against...doesn't matter if these were UND students or not...whether it was on UND property or not...hell, it wouldn't have mattered if this was a group of 90 year old Satan-worshipping convicted sex offenders who had just sacrificed a litter of puppies on live TV...had they been wearing these t-shirts, THAT'S the only important thing that would continue to be emphasized by folks on Twitter as well as your local and now national news media.

• Upvote 4

Heck...they couldn't point out Africa on a globe!

Girls abducted in Nigeria to be potentially sold on the trafficing market, the story you mentioned above and numerous others one could cite but a frickin' t-shirt leads to the rape of NA women, causes tribes to be rampant with alcoholism and everything else that afflicts them in a bad and hurtful way.

You left off how Ralph is also to blame for the t-shirts.

policymic:

North Dakota had voted to drop the Fighting Sioux mascot in 2012, after the NCAA declared University of North Dakota’s Fighting Sioux nickname abusive and hostile. But some UND students apparently don’t care, as evidenced by the shirts they wore
to the school’s Springfest celebrations
last weekend.

Now it's a UND-sanctioned event...

policymic:

North Dakota had voted to drop the Fighting Sioux mascot in 2012, after the NCAA declared University of North Dakota’s Fighting Sioux nickname abusive and hostile. But some UND students apparently don’t care, as evidenced by the shirts they wore
to the school’s Springfest celebrations
last weekend.

Now it's a UND-sanctioned event...

Smriti is a multimedia journalist trained at the Columbia School of Journalism.

Her training sucked because her facts are wrong, Springfest is not part of the school and the logo on the shirts are NOT UND's old logo. But facts don't matter when you can make !@#$ up and have idiots believe it.

Her training sucked because her facts are wrong, Springfest is not part of the school and the logo on the shirts are NOT UND's old logo. But facts don't matter when you can make !@#$ up and have idiots believe it.

Keep repeating the lie often enough and it eventually becomes the truth...

Minneapolis police urinate on Native American man and are reprimanded...the story is major news all over the Twin Cities...in fact, I still recall the video of the man in front of rolling cameras yelling "THEY URINATED ON ME."

http://www.pulsetc.c...p=Print&sid=333

Of course, just over three years later, after this case winds thru various appeals...here's what REALLY happened...

http://www.gpo.gov/f...-cv-04097-0.pdf

Smriti Sinha

Smriti is a multimedia journalist trained at the Columbia School of Journalism. Before moving to New York, she worked as a sports reporter for The Indian Express in New Delhi. She continues to cover issues in sports, women's and LGBT rights.

This is what they're teaching our kids in IVY schools? Further, that it's okay to invent your own facts and write your own story line, doesn't matter about the "actual" truth or facts...

Edited by Goon

This just in...Aaron Hernadez indicted in 2 counts on 1st degree murder...blamed it on UND and the Indian head logo.

Huffington Post reporting that missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 pilot was last seen in skyway lounge wearing Siouxper drunk t-shirt...

Judge in Sudan just ordered her to die by hanging.....................

But...but...but...the UN was training them...this is a total outrage and demands world attention. Oh, wait, it's not Islamophobia? This woman's a Christian? Nevermind...

http://www.sd.undp.o...omote-good-gov/

So I'm Muslim automatically if I'm born in Sudan. Whew...dodged a big bullet there should I have wanted to be something else - or not religious at all. I'm sure Egypt, Somalia, United Arab Emirates, Iraq, Kuwait, and other "peaceful" countries are lining up to condemn this action, though. RIght?

Huffington Post reporting that missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 pilot was last seen in skyway lounge wearing Siouxper drunk t-shirt...

Now it is ALL starting to make sense.................

This is what they're teaching our kids in IVY schools, it's okay to invent your own facts and write your own story line, doesn't matter about the "actual" truth...

I can assure you that is not the case with Ivy schools.

Come on goon don't spread even more misinformation!

http://sayanythingbl...x-debate-alive/

With the never-ending “Fighting Sioux” fight in the headlines again, sparked by recent controversies including a banner hung up at a sorority house referencing the nickname controversy and those “Siouxper Drunk” shirts at a City of Grand Forks event, a state legislator says he’s had a bill prepared for months now that would continue a moratorium on a new nickname for the university.

The current moratorium ends in January of 2015. Louser wanted to have legislation in the works to stop the university from pushing a new logo/nickname before the Legislature has a chance to act.

Louser said his bill would extend the existing moratorium by two and a half years through July 1, 2017. According to Louser, the additional time could be used to negotiate with North Dakota’s Sioux tribes. …

Even if this latest effort to keep the nickname fails, Louser isn’t ready to move on.

“If it doesn’t pass maybe we just go without a nickname forever,” he said. “That would be a discussion we would have in the 2017 session. If we get up to January of 2017 and there hasn’t been a vote yet, we’ll know about it.”

Louser tells me he’s very hopeful about having talks with North Dakota’s two Sioux tribes (the Spirit Lake Sioux support the nickname, the Standing Rock Sioux have never gotten to vote). He wants to find a solution that’s beneficial to all involved.

He also said that the university operating without a nickname hasn’t been harmful to UND, so operating without one for a few more years – or even forever – won’t hurt anything.

What ever this guy is smokin please pass it around!!

So I'm Muslim automatically if I'm born in Sudan. Whew...dodged a big bullet there should I have wanted to be something else - or not religious at all. I'm sure Egypt, Somalia, United Arab Emirates, Iraq, Kuwait, and other "peaceful" countries are lining up to condemn this action, though. RIght?

I just saw on CNN with Anderson Cooper a "walk for change" in Somalia protesting this judge's decision in the Sudan...didn't see anyone wearing "Siouxper Drunk" t-shirts but a number of them had on "2014 Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos" t-shirts!

• Upvote 1

I can assure you that is not the case with Ivy schools.

Come on goon don't spread even more misinformation!

So where are they learning this from? I think it's a good question. Anyone could make a short five minute phone call and get the facts.

So where are they learning this from? I think it's a good question. Anyone could make a short five minute phone call and get the facts.

Very true but that's considered work. Unfortunately this is what our society has become. How many writers are left out there that don't have a political agenda they are pushing? Anyone here watch any house of cards?

Very true but that's considered work. Unfortunately this is what our society has become. How many writers are left out there that don't have a political agenda they are pushing? Anyone here watch any house of cards?

I am going to watch it when I am finished watching Dexter. It's on my to do list. Is it like the television show Scandal?

I just saw on CNN with Anderson Cooper a "walk for change" in Somalia protesting this judge's decision in the Sudan...didn't see anyone wearing "Siouxper Drunk" t-shirts but a number of them had on "2014 Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos" t-shirts!

https://www.facebook.com/edshow

"Expel them!"

OK...and if they're not students, then what? Tar-and-feather them? Revoke their US citizenship? Force them to either take a cyanide pill or jump from the Demers Ave bridge into the Red River? What would appease the mob?

Judging from the comments appearing on "The Ed Show," it would appear that not only are all of these kids students of the University of North Dakota, their parents are all members of the Republican Party! It's time to #MarchforChange...it's time for President Kelley to take action and ban Young Republicans as a campus organization.

I am going to watch it when I am finished watching Dexter. It's on my to do list. Is it like the television show Scandal?

Never watched scandal. And never worked in news or politics. But if things happen in real life the way they happen in house of cards it's a little scary.

And dexter what a series! I'll miss that show.

She's a proud graduate of the Don Adam School of Journalism. (Their motto is at the 13 second mark.)

• Upvote 1