SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

Again, if you want to do a story at least put the "Correct" facts in your blog post. I don't recall UND ever using this logo. I am not defending the kids with the tasteless t-shirts but at least get the facts before you write your story.

The shirts were emblazoned with the the old Sioux mascot — a Native American "chief" figure — drinking from a beer bong along with the heading, "Siouxper Drunk."

Dani@xodanix32 hrs

Increase of human trafficking & sexual violence in ND with oil mining. #siouxperdrunk stereotypes will make native women a target.

Dani@xodanix33 hrs

1 in 3 native women will be raped in their life but u think its funny to perpetuate rape culture w #siouxperdrunk stereotype. #walkforchange

This is quite a leap, don't you think?

So it's UND's fault for the human trafficking and sexual violence in Western North Dakota?

So it's UND's fault for the human trafficking and sexual violence in Western North Dakota?

Not hardly... Unless they're connected to the Drug Cartel out of Mexico.

U.S. Attorney Tim Purdon said North Dakota — and particularly the booming western North Dakota oilfields — has become a target for organized crime, as shown by an increase in drug arrests with close connections to gangs and drug cartels. Prostitution arrests also have increased, though in most cases no immediate line has been drawn connecting the women arrested to pimps, gangs or others who may have forced them into service.

Kim Jon-un has announced that he will invade South Korea by midnight eastern time on Friday unless the t-shirt culprits are handed over to KPA forces at the DMZ by 10pm tomorrow night.

There is only 1 man for the job. Lets hope he isn't kicking photographers.

#WTF

Don't worry, I'm sure Mrs O will soon tweet out a picture of her holding a card with a witty hash-tag on it...

I'd bet 9 out of 10 of Friday's change-marchers couldn't identify Sudan on a map of Africa if I spotted them every other country on the continent...

If it is true that the people who designed the T-shirts only wore them for a photo and not to Springfest, then the people most responsible for spreading the hateful images were the ones who placed them on their blog, Facebook, spammed my and other UND employees emails, contacted the news media, planned a march against hateful images and the Sioux logo, etc.

How ironic.

http://www.uni-watch...mascot-history/

Today’s Marquette players and students weren’t even born when the team was last known as the Warriors. Yet students still wear “Indian” headdresses to games and chant for the Warriors. Many still want to see the nickname changed back, though I think many aren’t fully aware of the insensitivities of the history, nor does the university want to reopen old wounds by going over all of that again. The most reasonable claim made by those who want to see the Warrior nickname brought back is that it could be used without any reference to Native Americans, much like the Golden State Warriors have done. However, the history is strong, and I think the university knows the connotation will be hard to ever remove. I also think there’s a large segment of fans who are fine with the current nickname, although they’re not as vocal or visible as the ones who want to go back to Warriors.

Could you imagine if at the REA students wore headdresses to games?

If it is true that the people who designed the T-shirts only wore them for a photo and not to Springfest, then the people most responsible for spreading the hateful images were the ones who placed them on their blog, Facebook, spammed my and other UND employees emails, contacted the news media, planned a march against hateful images and the Sioux logo, etc.

How ironic.

It is ironic, but if you are a UND employee then do the right thing and raise the red flag about these people who are slandering the university and these kids. Tell your boss. Get out there on twitter. these people are blatently lying and something needs to be done.

Edit: Send the harassing emails to the news media as well. Make it known that these people stepped too far.

Grand Forks Herald has a story that claims the shirts were "spotted at Springfest a local festival popular with UND students." I emailed the reporter and asked if that was a confirmed fact as I too had never read of anyone seeing the shirts at the community event, not held on UND property and not sanctioned by UND. I also think they should stop referring to them as students as that also alludes a connection to UND which appears not to be the case.

If these stories were accurate they would read "A group of young adults posted images of themselves wearing t-shirts that could be considered racist toward Native Americans. The images appear to be taken at a private residence at a private party."

• Upvote 1

Don't worry, I'm sure Mrs O will soon tweet out a picture of her holding a card with a witty hash-tag on it...

I'm sure 9 out of 10 of Friday's change-marchers couldn't identify Sudan on a map of Africa if I spotted them every other country on the continent...

Heck...they couldn't point out Africa on a globe!

Girls abducted in Nigeria to be potentially sold on the trafficing market, the story you mentioned above and numerous others one could cite but a frickin' t-shirt leads to the rape of NA women, causes tribes to be rampant with alcoholism and everything else that afflicts them in a bad and hurtful way.