SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

Still hoping, Fetch?

I am believing more and more they are going to take a run at banning Fighting Sioux apparel. But as I watched the video again, I realized that what exactly is the plan? Its just a discussion. Kelley is trying to calm some of the waters down b4 graduation more than likely. God I wonder what will happen at graduation if things keep getting worse.

I just watched that for the 1st time

I guess it had to be said but for godsake someone tell the correct story

But no sounds like the same ol crapola to me

I have Sioux gear twice as old as that kid

Kelley will be out before a ban comes

That's a good ole boy gaurebtee.

Not saying fired but he won't be prez before a ban cones

He could always leave that as his legacy...ban Sioux apparel and its display on the campus...come up with a "plan" to ban it from the Alerus, the Betty, and REA, then retire and ride off into the sunset...Captain America saves Grand Forks, and all of North Dakota, from t-shirts.

This whole thing is f****** ridiculous.

Couldn't agree more. Since UND no longer has a native american nickname (or any nickname for that matter), can they just cut that indian services building/related program?? They already have a multicultural center (or whatever it is actually called), and isn't it racist, and insensitive to give one race on campus services that are not offered to students of other racest??

On a side note, this could potentially lead to more problems:

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/federal-court-ruling-disparaging-trademarks-interesting-fighting-sioux-logonickname/?utm_content=buffer7a3e7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I know this is from Rob Port, and many people do not like him, but there is a potential issue presented here.

http://sayanythingbl...campaign=buffer

I know this is from Rob Port, and many people do not like him, but there is a potential issue presented here.

I'd think fed law would give UND an out from its agreement with nc$$ to maintain trademark. Hello free market production of Fighting Sioux merch.

Dani@xodanix32 hrs

Increase of human trafficking & sexual violence in ND with oil mining. #siouxperdrunk stereotypes will make native women a target.

Dani@xodanix33 hrs

1 in 3 native women will be raped in their life but u think its funny to perpetuate rape culture w #siouxperdrunk stereotype. #walkforchange

This is quite a leap, don't you think?

Dani@xodanix32 hrs

Increase of human trafficking & sexual violence in ND with oil mining. #siouxperdrunk stereotypes will make native women a target.

Dani@xodanix33 hrs

1 in 3 native women will be raped in their life but u think its funny to perpetuate rape culture w #siouxperdrunk stereotype. #walkforchange

Where does all this end?

Oh that's right it never will;)

Dani@xodanix32 hrs

Dani@xodanix33 hrs

Seriously? Always the victim...even in the hypothetical world. I get all the ills of NAs were because of the "Fighting Sioux" name and logo...but now they are really reaching here.

Dani@xodanix32 hrs

Dani@xodanix33 hrs

I tweeted her to see how these things are possibly related

I'd think fed law would give UND an out from its agreement with nc$$ to maintain trademark. Hello free market production of Fighting Sioux merch.

Yeah, you would think so. It would be cool to be able to buy new sioux gear and use the logo on anything you want!

I tweeted her to see how these things are possibly related

Get her take on who is to blame for all the black on black crime in this country? That response would be pure gold!

http://sayanythingbl...campaign=buffer

In this article there is a link to a segment from Scott Hennen's radio program. He had on Rob Port and Ruth Hopkins and they debated this issue. More than once Ruth referred to the Sioux people as Lakota, Dakota and Nakota Indians. Those that have mentioned in the New Nickname thread that they'd like Nakotas - no chance, even if you're talking about a horse.

In this article there is a link to a segment from Scott Hennen's radio program. He had on Rob Port and Ruth Hopkins and they debated this issue. More than once Ruth referred to the Sioux people as Lakota, Dakota and Nakota Indians. Those that have mentioned in the New Nickname thread that they'd like Nakotas - no chance, even if you're talking about a horse.

The horse is "nokota" rather than Nakota, but I agree with you. I dislike it anyway because University of North Dakota Nokota just doesn't flow.

The horse is "nokota" rather than Nakota, but I agree with you. I dislike it anyway because University of North Dakota Nokota just doesn't flow.

I agree with you. And to your point - spelling be damned. It could be Nahkoahta for all it's worth, and it still ain't happening.

Dani@xodanix32 hrs

Dani@xodanix33 hrs

There's no evidence to back that claim up what-so-ever.

Human Traffic is happening in North Dakota, but the victims are coming from out of state in a lot of instances.

"A lot of people think this happens only in faraway countries outside of the United States," Paulsen said. "The truth is it's happening in our backyards."

Paulsen and Cramer have attached their names to a number of bills in the U.S. Houseaimed at combating human trafficking.

Stenehjem said North Dakota requires assistance on the federal level to combat trafficking as "these are not localized enterprises, these are nationwide, even international."

Good grief...I didn't know "Polack" is considered an ethnic slur too...

Being Polish, I take great offense to this. I shall raise a big deal about it on my blog with incorrect facts to make my point. I shall start a walk for equality in all of the most German populated towns I can find in North Dakota