SiouxSports.com Forum

Blurry hockey time! Thanks midco!

Frozen4sioux

At the lake cabin this weekend because they got a foot of snow by Bemidji. We are going to ride! So I'm watching the game on FCS, first time, and I've read all the complaints! First I think Hammer and Kober are fine to listen to. Katie is hot, does a good interview, her accent that everyone bitches about is the same as 90% of the people around here! The voice does NOT line up with their lips and that does drive me nuts! Over all I have to ask, what's with all the major complaining? I'm usually at the games, so this is the first for me.

GO SIOUX!!!

Hammer was his usual !@#!$ self again tonite...who the hell is Justin Schmaltz? Any relation to Jordan? Jesus, take an afternoon and sit down with the roster and read through it half a dozen times...they are paying you for this btw!

Question for Hammer: What is a "10 minute game misconduct"?

Get it right, please: Shots that hit the outside of the net are not, "off the post". And when a player serves a penalty for another, that player was not penalized himself.

Can't remember any announcer ever with such a lack of game knowledge.

This isn't Hammers first time doing Sioux Hockey play by play. I am surprised some of our lifelong fans don't mention that. When wdaz used to air an occasional game back in the 80's and he also used to do the High School hockey tourney. I agree though he does have some interesting goofs on air.

1. He can't figure out the difference between a slap, snap, wrist shot or a one time.

2. He is always talking about how this guy played for the Fargo Force.

3. Last night he told us that the Little's were brothers at least 5 times.

4. He just plain sucks at his job.

If radio and TV broadcast were synced I would just listen to Tim Hennessy. Great announcer.

• Upvote 1

Watched the game on Fox Sports last night and my brothers. I found it funny that my sister-in-law (who missed the entire first period) partway through the second period started saying "Joe Gleason, from Edina MN" every time she saw him with the puck. She asked why does the guy say that every time he talks about him? I actually think Hammer has gotten better, but still has room for improvement. I do have to agree with it being annoying when the lips and sound do not sync up.

1. He can't figure out the difference between a slap, snap, wrist shot or a one time.

2. He is always talking about how this guy played for the Fargo Force.

3. Last night he told us that the Little's were brothers at least 5 times.

4. He just plain sucks at his job.

If radio and TV broadcast were synced I would just listen to Tim Hennessy. Great announcer.

Be careful. Anytime anyone comes up with an innovative, out-of-the-box solution, they are told that the idea "simply is not feasible" without any explanation as to why. :silly:

But seriously, wouldn't it save money having one broadcasting team do both at the same time. The Vikings did this with their preseason games in 2012 and it worked pretty good. Thoughts?

Be careful. Anytime anyone comes up with an innovative, out-of-the-box solution, they are told that the idea "simply is not feasible" without any explanation as to why. :silly:

But seriously, wouldn't it save money having one broadcasting team do both at the same time. The Vikings did this with their preseason games in 2012 and it worked pretty good. Thoughts?

If you have a dvr then you can pause the game momentarily and pull up Hennessey on iheart radio app....then just fast forawrd the dvr until they are synced...

• Upvote 1

This isn't Hammers first time doing Sioux Hockey play by play. I am surprised some of our lifelong fans don't mention that. When wdaz used to air an occasional game back in the 80's and he also used to do the High School hockey tourney. I agree though he does have some interesting goofs on air.

Hammer never did games back in the 80's for WDAZ, its always been Sweeney. Also, is Hammer that lazy he can't say MacMillian? I cringe everytime he says "Mitch Mac or Mark Mac"!

Hammer never did games back in the 80's for WDAZ, its always been Sweeney. Also, is Hammer that lazy he can't say MacMillian? I cringe everytime he says "Mitch Mac or Mark Mac"!

That's one of the biggest things that annoys me too. Just seems so unprofessinal with this group of broadcasters, no matter who they are talking about, interviewing, etc. they always call them by a nickname.

I believe that Hammer was broadcasting for KTHI (now KVLY) when he did UND games in the 80's. This is from the article announcing his hire:

Hammer isn’t a complete stranger to calling UND hockey games. In the 1980s, Hammer called road UND hockey games with color commentator Tim O’Keefe. In 1984, Hammer called the Frozen Four in Lake Placid, N.Y., a season in which UND finished third.

Yep I once operated on a frog too but I dont go around pretending to be a doctor.

The pathetic turd scarfing effup was trying to flop down some old sckool sioux cred tonight....

Its like a brokenrubber trying to take credit for the grown babies successfull life.

Did anyone pay you to operate on the frog? Probably not a good comparison.

We get it, you don't like Hammer. Not everyone agrees with you. You just sound childish with the constant complaints and the name calling. And I'm pretty sure that your whining isn't going to change anything.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

You're comparing Fox Sports, a broadcasting company that has affiliates throughout the country to a regional sports network? You clearly don't realize the budget differences between the two companies for both equipment and talent. UND hockey is great in our minds but for someone outside of Grand Forks, how appealing is doing UND games? Face it, Grand Forks is a big step down compared to Minneapolis when it comes to sports broadcasting. You're comparing 3 full time employees to a company with dozens.

You say Midco should use Fox Sports North as an example of how to do a production, but who is giving them the time to get anywhere close to that level. Most people here are very quick to just say pull the plug but I guarantee that the production quality has increased since that first game this year. The crew is only going to get better.

Plus, people will get their chance to see Midco's HD feed during the first round of the WCHA playoffs.

Is this still going to happen?

When switching back and forth from Fox Sports North to Midco it looks like a huge difference. I appreciate the upgrade in quality, but it is not a true HD broadcast. Must better than before, but hopefully actual HD will be coming next year. This reminds me of people saying that Upscaling DVD's looks the same as watching it on Blu-ray.