SiouxSports.com Forum

Blurry hockey time! Thanks midco!

Frozen4sioux

....ok so moments of clairity while still dealing with the buffering and play by play buffoonery.

I fail to see how this is much better....if only the pxp will be a "one timer"

Once again, if you have had webcast issues, including constant buffering, I urge you to send us your feedback here:

http://www.undsports.com//CreateTicket.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500

If you're going to gripe just to gripe, well, I can't help you there. At the end of the day, Midco, in its first year of our partnership, has delivered everything our fans had been pining for: High Definition (coming next year, one year ahead of schedule), a power-play clock, improved graphics, and a broadcast of the outdoor game. Very few announcers are universally liked. Some prefer Pat Sweeney to Dan Hammer, and vice versa. That's the nature of the business. But at some point, Midco has to be acknowledged for providing every upgrade our fans had been asking for, no?

In the first of a five-year partnership, they've been a tremendously proactive partner. This is a good thing.

• Upvote 1

Jayson, any chance FCS will puck up the Midco feed for Saturday's outdoor game?

As of right now, I'm not aware of it happening. That would be between Cox Communications (which is producing the broadcast) and FOX. Could it happen? Sure, but I wouldn't necessarily be privy to those conversations. If I hear of anything either way, we'll be sure to get the word out.

Once again, if you have had webcast issues, including constant buffering, I urge you to send us your feedback here:

http://www.undsports...DB_OEM_ID=13500

If you're going to gripe just to gripe, well, I can't help you there. At the end of the day, Midco, in its first year of our partnership, has delivered everything our fans had been pining for: High Definition (coming next year, one year ahead of schedule), a power-play clock, improved graphics, and a broadcast of the outdoor game. Very few announcers are universally liked. Some prefer Pat Sweeney to Dan Hammer, and vice versa. That's the nature of the business. But at some point, Midco has to be acknowledged for providing every upgrade our fans had been asking for, no?

In the first of a five-year partnership, they've been a tremendously proactive partner. This is a good thing.

I prefer to follow you and schloss on the chat instead of watching the game and I have no buffering issues with that, only being called too negative sometimes :D

Thank you for showing your face on here and answering questions and taking all the slings and arrows that come with it. :)

I think the quality of the product will improve as time goes on. Remember, FSSN wasn't the greatest when they first started and they had WDAZ broadcasters and staff to lean on. Midco is starting from scratch and there are bound to be problems at first. But in the long run, this partnership will benefit both UND and Midco. Patience people, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater too soon.

I prefer to follow you and schloss on the chat instead of watching the game and I have no buffering issues with that, only being called too negative sometimes :D

Haha, I appreciate that. We still greatly enjoy doing the chats. We'll always push comments through that are negative in a constructive sense. The ones that don't make it through are the over-the-top comments that we know will quickly throw the game chat completely off the rails. On Friday, the negativity was justifiable. What was interesting was that on Saturday, with a 2-1 lead in the first period of an entertaining hockey game, 90 percent of the comments in our queue were still negative, and not necessarily of the 'constructive' variety.

We'll continue to do our best to strike a balance with which comments we accept, while still trying to keep the discussions on track.

I'd gladly swap out the power-play clock for the ability to view the game.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for showing your face on here and answering questions and taking all the slings and arrows that come with it. :)

I think the quality of the product will improve as time goes on. Remember, FSSN wasn't the greatest when they first started and they had WDAZ broadcasters and staff to lean on. Midco is starting from scratch and there are bound to be problems at first. But in the long run, this partnership will benefit both UND and Midco. Patience people, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater too soon.

Well said. I'm guessing if we all went back and watched the broadcast of the first exhibition game, the improvements in both quality and announcing would be very noticeable. And then next year...I'm as excited for HD as anyone around here.

• Upvote 1

Midcontinent picture = Looks fine to me for SD picture and should be great once it's HD. It seems most people having issues with the picture are watching on DirectTV. Perhaps it's something on their end.

Hammer = Good enough for me. He seems to be getting better with each game.

Kober = Ugh. He's unable to put his thoughts into words.

Katie Hale = Voice is meh.... but she looks nice :bigsmile:

Not having games on FCS next year = Terrible, but I realize Midco wasn't at fault here. Hopefully something can be done to remedy the situation by next fall so the viewers in other states and those without Midco or access to Midco can still watch the games (and not through internet streaming, nobody wants to do that). What does CBSSN care if a conference game they aren't televising is aired on another national network...

Well said. I'm guessing if we all went back and watched the broadcast of the first exhibition game, the improvements in both quality and announcing would be very noticeable. And then next year...I'm as excited for HD as anyone around here.

This is very true. That first game was brutal. Last Saturday's was not bad at all and that was on a big screen. One thing I have noticed though is that as the tv gets bigger the picture gets blurrier. No DirectTV Friday means streaming time again.

Midcontinent picture = Looks fine to me for SD picture and should be great once it's HD. It seems most people having issues with the picture are watching on DirectTV. Perhaps it's something on their end.

Hammer = Good enough for me. He seems to be getting better with each game.

Kober = Ugh. He's unable to put his thoughts into words.

Katie Hale = Voice is meh.... but she looks nice :bigsmile:

Not having games on FCS next year = Terrible, but I realize Midco wasn't at fault here. Hopefully something can be done to remedy the situation by next fall so the viewers in other states and those without Midco or access to Midco can still watch the games (and not through internet streaming, nobody wants to do that). What does CBSSN care if a conference game they aren't televising is aired on another national network...

I don't have a problem with play by play crew. Hammer is comparable to Sweeney to a casual hockey guy like myself. I just grow tired of Hammers nicknames for all the coaches, but it is not a big deal to me.

The few broadcasts I've seen have improved from the beginning of the season, but it is a fact that Midco's SD picture is not as clear as FSSN/WDAZ's was. But it is fine. SD is what it is.

It is great that the games will be in HD next year.

Woo-hoo for the Wall Drug Power Play clock. I rarely noticed it wasn't there before but that's just me.

I also understand that losing FCS coverage next season has nothing to do with Midco, but UND should be held somewhat accountable for that. The most marketable member of the NCHC should have had enough pull to avoid the atrocity that will be that conference's TV deal.

I don't have a problem with Midco producing the games, so much as I do with UND's apparent willingness to rely predominately on often unreliable web-based platforms to deliver programming to its fans. Unless you are one of the FEW Midcontinent subscribers, a person can't even watch the weekly coach's show on local TV in North Dakota or NW Minnesota anymore.

IMO, it's just been a huge step backwards in the TV marketing area compared to what were huge strides in the preceding 10 years for UND.

• Upvote 3

This is very true. That first game was brutal. Last Saturday's was not bad at all and that was on a big screen. One thing I have noticed though is that as the tv gets bigger the picture gets blurrier. No DirectTV Friday means streaming time again.

I think that's the case for most pictures since the pixels are expanded and definition is lost, especially with the quality of the feed already being SD.

http://www.undsports.com//CreateTicket.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500

If you're gripe just to gripe, well, I can't help you there. At the end of the day, Midco, in its first year of our partnership, has delivered everything our fans had been pining for: High Definition (coming next year, one year ahead of schedule), a power-play clock, improved graphics, and a broadcast of the outdoor game. Very few announcers are universally liked. Some prefer Pat Sweeney to Dan Hammer, and vice versa. That's the nature of the business. But at some point, Midco has to be acknowledged for providing every upgrade our fans had been asking for, no?

Listen,

There are some great things that will be here when HDshows up.

Positives I see.

HD

Penalty clock

Katie Hale is doing a very nice job on the intermissions

Going to Omaha to broadcast a game..impressed.

However lets take a look at where the agreement has not gone well.

Dan Hammer.

I dont fault Koberinski because I just think hes been put in the wrong situation

The picture is now not up to the same level as othe SD broadcasts. And you can not be taken seriously when you continue to say it is. Thats ridiculous. Yes we understand HD is coming.

Replacing the national anthem with a Nick Jr. Rock band anthem to try to emulate a nonday night football game is an abomination to good taste and the legacy of Fighting Sioux tradition. I did see they brought the end of it live last week....good.

Dan Hammer not knowing howbthe game of hockey is played.

The crappy midco backdrop behind the pxpteam.

When the knowledge and experience of Sweeney was thrown away and a complete fargo loving Turd burglar was put in his place it is offensive to those of us who have for decades been part of the Fighting Sioux tradition.

Sweeney knew more about Sioux hockey than Danny could hope to gleam from a forced awkward tandem with a former player.

When those of us who have been involved in the Fighting Sioux hockey tradition since before you where born, let alone knew what Sioux Hockey was, and quite frankly will still be Fighting Sioux fans after you have moved on,..... are continually told the sky is purple and things are better, well I will NOT apologize for being offended.

And I will never apologize for passionatly expressing my concern over what we, yes we as in many, dare I say most, See as regression in quality with anything we see with the program.

Your observations are all duly noted and you are certainly entitled to them. I like to think we've been pretty transparent in recent years -- and will continue to be -- when it comes to addressing the concerns of our fans. I wasn't trying to insinuate you owe anyone an apology. I was merely extending credit where credit is due: to Midco for the positive things they have brought to the table in Year 1.

As far as your second-to-last paragraph, which I can only assume was aimed at me...well, I'm afraid you don't know much about me or what I do. And that's quite fine. I can assure you that we do have something in common, and that is the best interest of UND hockey and UND athletics.

"Replacing the national anthem with a Nick Jr. Rock band anthem"

That makes me laugh!

Maybe the Midco experience has been a bit disappointing probably because we have such high standards. Nothing can replace being at the Ralph and maybe we were expecting too much in year one. Phil Collins on Friday nights makes me shed a tear, the anthem makes me cry and nothing makes me smile more than my kids yelling go Sioux!

Going to be difficult to match that level of excitement watching on Midco at home with the Nick Jr intro. I do appreciate Jayson being on here taking the hits and answering question.

FUNC$$