SiouxSports.com Forum

Blurry hockey time! Thanks midco!

Frozen4sioux

"@undmhockey:

Unfortunately we just got word that DirecTV has pulled tonight's game from its programming lineup. Game IS on FCS Central and webcast."

Wow.....the broadcast is now so bad that directTV is pulling it from its lineup.

The broadcast was pulled because of bandwidth issues. It's the same reason the SDSU/NDSU basketball game wasn't televised on DirecTV either.

The broadcast was pulled because of bandwidth issues. It's the same reason the SDSU/NDSU basketball game wasn't televised on DirecTV either.

Bandwidth issues from Midco or Directv?

Paying extra bucks to Directv for the sportspack.

If it's their problem, I need to know so I can call & bitch about it.

Bandwidth issues from Midco or Directv?

Paying extra bucks to Directv for the sportspack.

If it's their problem, I need to know so I can call & bitch about it.

DirecTV made the decision to pull the FOX College Sports broadcast from its Saturday lineup due to an unexpected overload of bandwidth constraints. This has happened before, and FCS was one of multiple networks affected on Saturday. Midco had literally nothing to do with the decision.

• Upvote 3

DirecTV made the decision to pull the FOX College Sports broadcast from its Saturday lineup due to an unexpected overload of bandwidth constraints. This has happened before, and FCS was one of multiple networks affected on Saturday. Midco had literally nothing to do with the decision.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm a DirecTV user and was pretty disappointed.

What I find interesting about that explanation is that I can normally find both the Friday and Saturday game on my DirectTV schedule so I can set up the DVR. This week, before leaving for Grand Forks on Friday morning I was only able to find the Friday game. As of Friday morning the Saturday game didn't show on the schedule.

Perhaps they anticipated a bandwidth issue and therefore did not advertise the possible showing in order to avoid getting people's expectations set.

Personally, I have no idea why they pulled it and have no conspiracy theories as to why. I just think they knew they weren't going to show it earlier than when the news came out on Saturday.

damage being done to und? am I the only one who enjoys hammer and kober waaaaay more than the old team?

Yes, you are. Hammer has no place in the hockey world. This guy makes a great backup high school play by play announcer. I hope the major changes for next year include a good play by play guy, ie, I want Hennesey.

What I find interesting about that explanation is that I can normally find both the Friday and Saturday game on my DirectTV schedule so I can set up the DVR. This week, before leaving for Grand Forks on Friday morning I was only able to find the Friday game. As of Friday morning the Saturday game didn't show on the schedule.

Perhaps they anticipated a bandwidth issue and therefore did not advertise the possible showing in order to avoid getting people's expectations set.

Personally, I have no idea why they pulled it and have no conspiracy theories as to why. I just think they knew they weren't going to show it earlier than when the news came out on Saturday.

You aren't far off base, actually.

We didn't find out about the programming change until Saturday afternoon -- and we only found out when I was told by a DTV viewer that the game was not showing up in the guide. At that point, we looked into it and confirmed the change, and we immediately relayed the information as best we could via Twitter.

It turns out the decision had been made sometime late Thursday. We've since reached out to the appropriate parties to ensure we get as much heads-up as possible if this happens again. If we had found out Thursday when the decision had been made, we could have at least given our DirecTV viewers a day or two to make other arrangements. By giving them only three hours notice, those viewers were basically hung out to dry.

We didn't find out about the programming change until Saturday afternoon -- and we only found out when I was told by a DTV viewer that the game was not showing up in the guide. At that point, we looked into it and confirmed the change, and we immediately relayed the information as best we could via Twitter.

It turns out the decision had been made sometime late Thursday. We've since reached out to the appropriate parties to ensure we get as much heads-up as possible if this happens again. If we had found out Thursday when the decision had been made, we could have at least given our DirecTV viewers a day or two to make other arrangements. By giving them only three hours notice, those viewers were basically hung out to dry.

The web stream though was better than previous we thought. Did UND keep any control over announcers? If they did can they get rid of Hammer and Kober? It is sad when you prefer to listen FSN announcers over UND's.

Since the NHL started again, dish (and I assume directtv) are using a lot of bandwidth doing almost all center ice nhl telecasts in HD (they were already doing lots of NBA HD and college hockey on fox regionals in HD as well). No doubt that leaves less room for other broadcasts (like Midco). Unfortunately it is probably also indicative of how much interest dish and directv may have in adding midcosports net to their sports packages by next year, when a lot of us lose all access to ND hockey (other than the 2 or 3 games on CBSSN).

BTW, I wasn't complaining or insinuating anyone owed me more notice. Those were just my observations.

For those of you wanting Hennessy on television: Who would do radio?

Personally, I end up listening to about 40% of all the games on radio*. Hennessy is the best (and I'm talking all levels) and I would have trouble listening to anyone else.

I put Sweeney and Hammer as about equal. Both have strong points and glaring weaknesses. If I want rambling non sequiturs about regional athletes from 30 years ago, sure, Sweeney's the guy. But many seem to forget those problems.

*I'm at about 50% of games and the other 10% is someone else's TV crew.

Unfortunately it is probably also indicative of how much interest dish and directv may have in adding midcosports net to their sports packages by next year, when a lot of us lose all access to ND hockey (other than the 2 or 3 games on CBSSN).

I've emailed DirecTV many many times asking that they consider adding Midco Sports Net to their sports tier ever since UND signed the debacle that is their current TV deal. I suggest that anyone else who has DirecTV or Dish do the same.

More off topic:

Does anybody have experience with Slingbox? I am one of the 95% of Sioux fans that don't have access to Midco cable, so I'll be one of the tens of thousands not watching next year. However I do have a business property in a town that is served by Midco, so I was considering subscribing there and setting up a Slingbox so I can watch at home. Would the quality be decent TV-like or crummy webcast-like? It is hard enough for me to watch hockey that is not in HD, so I am not at all interested in watching hockey webcasts on UND Insider.

I've emailed DirecTV many many times asking that they consider adding Midco Sports Net to their sports tier ever since UND signed the debacle that is their current TV deal. I suggest that anyone else who has DirecTV or Dish do the same.

More off topic:

Does anybody have experience with Slingbox? I am one of the 95% of Sioux fans that don't have access to Midco cable, so I'll be one of the tens of thousands not watching next year. However I do have a business property in a town that is served by Midco, so I was considering subscribing there and setting up a Slingbox so I can watch at home. Would the quality be decent TV-like or crummy webcast-like? It is hard enough for me to watch hockey that is not in HD, so I am not at all interested in watching hockey webcasts on UND Insider.

I have never tried it before, but I thought if you are a midco customer that you can watch tv through their website at any time, which could save you on buying the slingbox.

More off topic:

Could DirectTV even handle Midco sports coverage of hockey with the contract the league has with CBSCS? Now I wonder if the games will be carried this weekend or dropped since they are on FoxCentral again?

More off topic:

I used the slingbox from a friend this past Saturday and it was excellent. The sender had it hooked up directly to the Midco cable and I have Charter cable Internet, so the stream was fast. Honestly, the picture was better than what I get on DirecTV. With the HD switch next year I think a HD slingbox hooked up to a Midco HD receiver would be a very good option.

Won't the UND insider webcasts be HD once Midco upgrades?

More off topic:

I use a slibgbox to get the games on my ipad and smartphone.

Expensive to get into, $200 at least...quality depends on a few things like a high quality internet connection where the box is located....the type a of connecrion to the set top box I.e.hdmi v. Component......

For these broadcasts its a meh at best....for quality. But its much better than the pay web feed UND sells.

My older slinbox fried out so i bpught the online und access watched a few weekends and went an bought a new slingbox.

As long as the internet is good and strong slingbox is good for hockey.....it pays for itself in nhl games instead of paying doe game center if u buy centerice.

Could DirectTV even handle Midco sports coverage of hockey with the contract the league has with CBSCS? Now I wonder if the games will be carried this weekend or dropped since they are on FoxCentral again?

Obviously, I'm just speculating, but in the off-chance that DirecTV did pickup Midco, I assume they could have the games on their sports tier, since Midco would be considered a Regional Sports Network whereas CBS Sports is a national network ala NBC-SN and ESPN.

Won't the UND insider webcasts be HD once Midco upgrades?

I have always had trouble with UND Insider, probably due to my Internet service. I can stream perfectly from virtually any site except FightingSioux.com for some reason. I was very happy when the rest of the sports made the switch to Big Sky TV this year, because that works flawlessly, and it is free besides. The only thing I use UND Insider for this season is for the UND Sports Extra show, but that still buffers so bad that it takes me 40 minutes to watch the 24 minute show.

If the hockey webcasts were in HD and they streamed uninterrupted like Big Sky TV does, I'd happily re-subscribe to UND Insider.