SiouxSports.com Forum

QB Controversy?

bincitysioux

unless i'm missing something but marcus is clearly the starter and will be unless the wheels completely fall off? marcus will start next week against poly for sure...there is no controversy.

You're missing that a healthy Braden Hansen won the starting job going into,the fall.

• Upvote 1

With Marcus' performance today... I think Hansen definitely gets the start next week vs Poly.

I don't mean to sound like a "Hanson-hater" at all.................. He has great credentials, looked awesome in the opener, and was good enough to be named the starter prior to the season kickoff. But I'm kind of a "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" type of guy. I don't think the fact that Hendrickson did not throw for 300 yards and 5 touchdowns tonight, it warrants him being benched. Bottom line is, he is 2-0 against Big Sky teams, and we have 7 Big Sky teams left to play................

Don't rock the boat when it is floating along nicely...................

Cal Poly, UND, and Northern Arizona were all close to being in the top 25 in FCS Coaches poll last week. A lot of the lower ranked teams lost today. All three of us has a chance to be ranked next week. If by chance all 3 of us made the top 25 the Big Sky would have 6 schools in the top 25. That would be tremendous. From top to bottom the Big Sky has to be the best conference in FCS.

I don't mean to sound like a "Hanson-hater" at all.................. He has great credentials, looked awesome in the opener, and was good enough to be named the starter prior to the season kickoff. But I'm kind of a "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" type of guy. I don't think the fact that Hendrickson did not throw for 300 yards and 5 touchdowns tonight, it warrants him being benched. Bottom line is, he is 2-0 against Big Sky teams, and we have 7 Big Sky teams left to play................

Don't rock the boat when it is floating along nicely...................

Most coaches don't keep a starter on the bench when they return from an injury. Hanson won the job last spring and again this fall. He looked excellent in the playing time he had. I expect him to return as a starter when he is healthy enough to play on a regular basis, whether that is next week or one of the weeks after that.

Most coaches don't keep a starter on the bench when they return from an injury. Hanson won the job last spring and again this fall. He looked excellent in the playing time he had. I expect him to return as a starter when he is healthy enough to play on a regular basis, whether that is next week or one of the weeks after that.

Hendrickson has also looked excellent in the playing time that he has had.

Who knows? Perhaps if Hanson had not been injured, maybe the team would be having the same success or even more success. I cannot say. All I know is that this team is 3-1 and the offense is clicking with the personnel that has been out there.

Another thing to consider is that Hendrickson has way more college experience than Hanson. If guys like Drew Bledsoe and Joe Montana can lose their jobs due to injury, then I think so can a guy that has only played two college football games.

Not comparing Hanson or Hendrickson to those NFL guys or their successors, just using it as an analogy...............

My biggest fear is that the chemistry of this offense could get messed up if a change is made..................

• Upvote 1

Big picture here...this team is 3-1 and just coming of their 1st BS conference win and it was on the road. Marcus wasn't great last night but the O still put up 35. A running game will help any QB. Just look at Jensen at the AC!!! Minus the Mines game, UND is still averaging around 40 per game with Marcus at the trigger. 40 points a contest should win you every game.

I'm not a Braden hater either, but I'm with bincity in the category that if it ain't broken, don't fix it! I'd like to see Marcus get the start vs. Poly. What is broken is our run D. And that needs top be fixed cause what does Poly do? Next Saturday's result will have way more to do with our D or lack of it than who plays QB IMO.

• Upvote 1

Big picture here...this team is 3-1 and just coming of their 1st BS conference win and it was on the road. Marcus wasn't great last night but the O still put up 35. A running game will help any QB. Just look at Jensen at the AC!!! Minus the Mines game, UND is still averaging around 40 per game with Marcus at the trigger. 40 points a contest should win you every game.

I'm not a Braden hater either, but I'm with bincity in the category that if it ain't broken, don't fix it! I'd like to see Marcus get the start vs. Poly. What is broken is our run D. And that needs top be fixed cause what does Poly do? Next Saturday's result will have way more to do with our D or lack of it than who plays QB IMO.

Be careful what you say about the defense....or you'll be told to cut the crap....

I'm a big homer as far as Hendrickson is concerned, always have been, but what I saw from Hansen cannot be on the bench. The offense with Hanson at the helm is like a finely tuned Swiss watch. He's clinical in his reads and has a more than deft touch on his passes. His arm is strong enough to make 95% of the throws that we've seen Marcus make so thats not much of an issue. I know Marcus can scramble when he needs but Braden will complete more passes and get us into better/shorter 3rd down situations where we can just hand the ball off instead of rely on a 9 yard run by the QB. I wish Marcus had played lights out last night and forced his way into the start next week but he didn't. He was pretty average last night and missed alot of throws. Once again Hanson will have to prove himself worthy to the Hendrickson Bandwagoneers. He will have his own bandwagon soon enough for those people top get on because if he's 90% going into Poly we are in very very good hands.

Hanson '12

• Upvote 2

In my opinion, Marcus played very average last night. He overthrew receivers and still seems incapable of throwing that high-arcing "3-ball" on "8" and "9" routes.

His feet saved us on a few occasions, but I also think he got some happy feet at times.

I agree, there still isn't a QB controversy.

I still love Marcus, but if Braden is 100%, he should start. The offense is better with him. IMO.

In my opinion, Marcus played very average last night. He overthrew receivers and still seems incapable of throwing that high-arcing "3-ball" on "8" and "9" routes.

His feet saved us on a few occasions, but I also think he got some happy feet at times.

I agree, there still isn't a QB controversy.

I still love Marcus, but if Braden is 100%, he should start. The offense is better with him. IMO.

there was one throw that marcus had against sdsu that was a throw that was very impressive but maybe not a lot of people saw...he threw it over the linebacker and in front of the db and hit jameer right in his hands by the sideline (not sure how long the throw was but it was somewhat long/deep)...anyone have video of that throw post it bc it showed he is capable of those touch throws to go with the deep throws....

there was one throw that marcus had against sdsu that was a throw that was very impressive but maybe not a lot of people saw...he threw it over the linebacker and in front of the db and hit jameer right in his hands by the sideline (not sure how long the throw was but it was somewhat long/deep)...anyone have video of that throw post it bc it showed he is capable of those touch throws to go with the deep throws....

Mussman admitted in today's press conference that Hanson can make throws that Hendrickson can't; however, a unhealthy Braden Hanson is a different story.

I will take a 10% Hendrickson over a 80% Hanson. But as soon as Hanson is 100%.....he deserves the start. He earned it and would fit right back ion the offense. There is a reason that he won the job in the spring and in the fall camp. He is better. But only if he is at 100%. Until then, Marcus will be just fine. I am confident in both our quarterbacks. But given the choice between both if they are both at 100%, I'd take Hanson.

• Upvote 1

Hendrickson playing this way is what the doctor ordered. This way Hanson can concentrate on healing than rushing back to save the team. UND is playing great without Hanson so instead of rushing Hanson back only to have him make a mistake because his leg starts hurting or something, keep Marcus in there and have Hanson continue to get better. Our offense is not in trouble with Marcus out there and that SDSU game proved it. If Marcus was in trouble we would have had a lot of turnovers and we wouldn't have had 41 points on the board. If Marcus gets hurt then consider switching to Hanson.