SiouxSports.com Forum

QB Controversy?

bincitysioux

Hanson is better, more accurate, more consistent, and is better at reading and manipulating coverage. He earned the job for a reason. Marcus has played very well and deserves a lot of credit but Braden earned the job because he's better.

So if Marcus continues his hot play and throws for 300+ yards and 3-4 TDs and gets win Saturday, Hanson get start vs. Cal Poly? Hypothetical scenerio I know but just don't see how Muss could make change if Marcus lights it up again.

So if Marcus continues his hot play and throws for 300+ yards and 3-4 TDs and gets win Saturday, Hanson get start vs. Cal Poly? Hypothetical scenerio I know but just don't see how Muss could make change if Marcus lights it up again.

If Hanson is healthy and ready to play against Cal Poly I would expect him to start even if Marcus goes 20 for 20 passing.
  • Upvote 1

Hanson is better, more accurate, more consistent, and is better at reading and manipulating coverage. He earned the job for a reason. Marcus has played very well and deserves a lot of credit but Braden earned the job because he's better.

That may be the case, but the easiest way to lose that starting job isn't by not playing well but rather by getting injured and giving someone else an opportunity. What more can you expect Marcus to do, he is leading all of division 1 FCS in his quarterback efficiency and has the added ability to extend the play with his legs. While I appreciate Braden's ability he hasn't earned the right to be automatically given this job when he came back. He has been here only since January and has only seen action in half a game since he has been here.

In my opinion this isn't a controversy, this is Marcus's job to lose and the rest of the team needs to play to his level as the defense and run blocking is a much bigger concern at the moment.

That may be the case, but the easiest way to lose that starting job isn't by not playing well but rather by getting injured and giving someone else an opportunity. What more can you expect Marcus to do, he is leading all of division 1 FCS in his quarterback efficiency and has the added ability to extend the play with his legs. While I appreciate Braden's ability he hasn't earned the right to be automatically given this job when he came back. He has been here only since January and has only seen action in half a game since he has been here.

In my opinion this isn't a controversy, this is Marcus's job to lose and the rest of the team needs to play to his level as the defense and run blocking is a much bigger concern at the moment.

One thing needs to be made clear, Marcus hasn't played 'lights out'. 54% against sdsu and that horrible pick 6 were not great. He missed some throws that a guy getting this type of praise should make in his sleep. He's also getting a lot of help from his WRs. His legs have been his/our saving grace on third down but we can't count on them all the time. I'm not sure how I've gone from the one touting Marcus and how good he is to me trying to take the red s off his chest but people need to sip the kool aid instead of chugging it bisonville style.

If Hanson is healthy and ready to play against Cal Poly I would expect him to start even if Marcus goes 20 for 20 passing.

If he continues to put up these kind of numbers and is flirting with a 200 passer efficiency while not turning over the ball, then it won't even be a conversation.

2012 Stats

48-81 for 59.3% completion %

823 yds passing for an average of 17.1 yards per completion

12 touchdowns at 1 interception

86 yards rushing

So he is averaging almost a 60% completion percentage, has tossed 12 touchdowns in 3 games, isn't turning the ball over, and can make plays with his legs. I don't care how good Braden looks in practice, I have a very hard time believing he could duplicate these numbers let alone improve on them. This is one of the stranger controversy's I have seen, as in my opinion, it isn't even a controversy.

One thing needs to be made clear, Marcus hasn't played 'lights out'. 54% against sdsu and that horrible pick 6 were not great. He missed some throws that a guy getting this type of praise should make in his sleep. He's also getting a lot of help from his WRs. His legs have been his/our saving grace on third down but we can't count on them all the time. I'm not sure how I've gone from the one touting Marcus and how good he is to me trying to take the red s off his chest but people need to sip the kool aid instead of chugging it bisonville style.

Give me a break, he has only had 1 interception this year and the WR's have had more than their share of drops as well. I have a ton of respect for your posts and follow them closely but I am just at a loss on this one.

I am probably a bit too young to remember the QB who Doug Flutie ended up beating out in Buffalo, was it Phil Johnson? Bigger, apprently the prototypical guy for NFL QB, but Flutie ended up taking over for some reason?

Regardless, it's a tough decision to make but Mussman probably can't make a BAD decision in this spot. And I'm sorry geaux_sioux, but it'd be tough to say he is better at ALL of those things(he probably is, bigtime recruit obviously), but it can't be an overly easy decision to make. The film on Hanson is such a small sample size. I don't think anyone on this board could blame Muss for whatever decision he makes, cause either way he has an able backup who is capable more than likely.

• Upvote 1

Give me a break, he has only had 1 interception this year and the WR's have had more than their share of drops as well. I have a ton of respect for your posts and follow them closely but I am just at a loss on this one.

Hendrickson has done extraordinary, don’t get me wrong, but he hasn't been perfect. The pick six he threw last week was the difference in the game when it came to the final score. I think the most difficult thing to comprehend is whether or not Hanson could have produced like Hendrickson if he had he played the last two games instead of Hendrickson. This really is a difficult situation but Mussman has hinted that once Hanson is healthy the likely outcome will be Hanson starting and Hendrickson seeing the field through certain packages that allow him to utilize his athleticism.

From a locker room standpoint Muss will get some raised eyebrows then. Marcus has stuck w this program even when things didn't go his way. Now the "anointed one" still gets the start even if Marcus sizzles again? Muss would def have a pair to do that IMO and possibly at the sake of some friction w in the locker room. Teammates for 3,4 5 yrs will no doubt have Marcus' back should he carve up Sac St.

Hendrickson has done extraordinary, don’t get me wrong, but he hasn't been perfect. The pick six he threw last week was the difference in the game when it came to the final score. I think the most difficult thing to comprehend is whether or not Hanson could have produced like Hendrickson if he had he played the last two games instead of Hendrickson. This really is a difficult situation but Mussman has hinted that once Hanson is healthy the likely outcome will be Hanson starting and Hendrickson seeing the field through certain packages that allow him to utilize his athleticism.

No offense but giving up 42 and looking like a Pop Warner D was the difference in the game...period. Don't cloud the issue because of the pick 6. Bad play and throw...yes but seriously!

• Upvote 1

I'm just pointing out that people are over reacting to how awesome Marcus has done probably due to the fact that the QB play has sucked recently and they didn't expect him to be this good. I on the other hand have been always saying that he has a strong arm by NFL standards and more speed than anyone would guess and that his only issue has been maturity. Now that he's mattured its extremely satisfying to see him produce like he has when he could've quit like a lot of people would have. Whoever plays is going to do great, the offense is in good hands.

• Upvote 4

No offense but giving up 42 and looking like a Pop Warner D was the difference in the game...period. Don't cloud the issue because of the pick 6. Bad play and throw...yes but seriously!

Pick 6 to start a game can negatively affect the morale of a football team - starting the game out with a TD and going up 7-0 can have the opposite effect. Yes, Hendrickson has done great, but he's not perfect; let’s give the revamped receiving corps and Oline some credit and maybe consider that B. Hanson would have had just as much success if he had been in there the last 2.

I hope for everyone's sake that when Braden plays again he is the FCS version of ARog and frankly 2 quarters vs. Mines is a small sample size. Marcus' stats are what they are thru 3 games...great, maybe not by some, but good enough to be in some elite company in the FCS QB conversation. IF Braden can prove to be better...that will great for this team, but Marcus IS the reason this team is where it is despite no running game and a D that is suspect at best.

I think we now know why Bradley left. Last year he came into the fall as the starter. This year he was likely the #3 and didn't think he would see the field much this year. With a couple of young guns coming up next year, he wouldn't have seen the field then either.

All probably true. Of course, having little chance to play is better than having no chance to play at all. Quitting at UND probably effectively ended his football career. It's a good thing Goska and Hendrickson didn't quit at the first sign of adversity.