SiouxSports.com Forum

QB Controversy?

bincitysioux

You don't lose a starting job to injury. I know it's an old cliche but it's true. Does anyone remember how good he was until he had the fluke injury? 13 of 14. There is a reason he won the job. He's a better QB.

I seem to remember Tom Brady getting his chance because of an injury and keeping the starting job once the other QB got heathly. Sometimes someones game performance changes the depth chart.

We know for sure that Hendrickson was #3 on the depth chart prior to Bradley's departure and going into fall camp. Wayne Nelson confirmed it as well.

What we didn't know was that Hendrickson would have passed up Bradley on the depth chart eventually this year anyways.

I'm ecstatic that we have 2......and I feel confident in saying this right now......great QB's.

What about this? Marcus keeps playing at a high level and then we medical Braden? I think that would be great for the overall program. If the other schools allow it, I don't see why they wouldn't. That would let the 2 young qbs get another year under their belt, and we would have a solid starter for another year.

Just a thought.

What about this? Marcus keeps playing at a high level and then we medical Braden? I think that would be great for the overall program. If the other schools allow it, I don't see why they wouldn't. That would let the 2 young qbs get another year under their belt, and we would have a solid starter for another year.

Just a thought.

Can we do that?? Who would be the permanent backup for the rest of the year?

Yes we could ask for it, doesn't mean it will be granted. Pray that Marcus stays healthy. Also, huge factor is if Braden would want to do it?

He's going to Graduate school here right? That was one of the factors that brought him here. He is gonna be on campus next year anyway. Not a bad idea. Only question is, as mentioned, who is the backup?

Also, if Marcus gets hurt, then you put Braden in. As long as Braden doesn't play for the rest of the year he can apply, pretty sure.

Can apply, yes. Granted, less likely. Redical medshirts are looked at a lot more closely and it usually has to be a season ending injury very early in the year. With how the coaches have been talking and Hansen back at practice, not sure if the NCAA would grant one.

The NCAA looks very closely at medical records for medical redshirts. The player has to be injured enough to not be able to play again that season. This injury isn't going to make that level. The mere fact that Hanson is going to be in uniform this week as a backup would probably eliminate any chance of getting the medical redshirt. There isn't any creativity in medical redshirts.

Not really the case for younger players, but starters I suspect it is. I received a medical my second year, after a first year redshirt. I wouldn't have played anyway that season but it was granted for a separated shoulder and broken hand, both of which I practiced with all year. Only dressed in home games... In Hanson's case there is more scrutiny as he is a starter, traveling with the team making the situation of eligibility clear that he would be capable of being on the field. They wouldn't allow sandbagging for the sake of the program. As far as the 6th season goes, you only have 10 semesters of eligibility. So the 6th year requires a part-time situation in the spring (under 12 credits) while still having passed 24 credits in the prior school year to participate in the 6th fall camp and play.

Not really the case for younger players, but starters I suspect it is. I received a medical my second year, after a first year redshirt. I wouldn't have played anyway that season but it was granted for a separated shoulder and broken hand, both of which I practiced with all year. Only dressed in home games... In Hanson's case there is more scrutiny as he is a starter, traveling with the team making the situation of eligibility clear that he would be capable of being on the field. They wouldn't allow sandbagging for the sake of the program. As far as the 6th season goes, you only have 10 semesters of eligibility. So the 6th year requires a part-time situation in the spring (under 12 credits) while still having passed 24 credits in the prior school year to participate in the 6th fall camp and play.

You're right. Expecting a redshirt freshman to play would be questionable. The NCAA wouldn't pay as much attention in this case. But when a starter is injured in the opening game, and the injury is only expected to keep them out for a few games, it would raise a lot of red flags for the NCAA if they applied for a medical redshirt.