SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Beavers

siouxnami

I really think that having lost in Bemidji 1-0 will motivate this team this week. They are a different team now then they were back then, they had 2 weeks to have the Minnesota sweep knaw on them, they needed to get thier lines in order after losing gremaldi. They were trying to figure out who they were. Now fast forward to this weeks games. They have thier lineups pretty solid, have a goalie rotation going well and the team seems to have bought into the Hak way of playing. I do believe that we will see some players flying around with a purpose.

Couldn't agree more bro!! I would say that Hak has done a tremendous job this year though. Other than that, I would have to say he's had some pretty top tier talent and done nothing with it. Just "being there" like you say isn't good enough for me either.

UND should have at least 2 titles under Hak and he's came home empty handed year after year. Plus the NH choke job, Yale, last year, it gets old.

And for you fans and your "hot goalie" talk, doesn't that get old year after year after year as an excuse? It'd be nice if we had the "hot goalie" for once, or if we could score on the "hot goalie" like every other team does the next game.

Post of the year imo man!

couldnt disagree more. By saying hak should have two titles already your making yourself look like an idiot. Nothing is guaranteed no matter how good the team is or how good the players are. Blais could have easily lost that frozen four game last year also. If you can't see how good of a coach hakstol is after this injury ridden year your an idiot. Go bag on the sioux over at the gopher forum

Looks like we already have a couple candidates lined up for when Hakstol retires. Good to see, since evidently coaching an elite college hockey team is so easy.

It's very easy. I backseat coach every time my arse is on the couch watching a game. How difficult could it be actually making decisions that have an impact etc.? My resume and cover letter are ready to go at a moments notice. ;):lol:

[

Blah Blah Blah. You guys that are content with just "being there" are the same people who want every single kid to get a trophy in sports. There are WINNERS and there are LOSERS, no matter how much you hippes want to give everyone a trophy, cookie, and a "atta boy" just for TRYING.

Hakstol, has done NOTHING that special since he's been here. His first few years he had Blais's teams that I COULD HAVE COACHED to the playoffs and FF. Bochenski, Parise, Toews, Oshie, Duncan, on and on and on and on.

He had SUPERIOR TALENT and at the end of the day came home with as many Championships (what programs like UND are judged by except by you liberal "happy to be there" clowns) as Michigan Tech and Alaska Anchorage have in the last decade.

Give me a NATIONAL TITLE and 11 bad seasons any day of the week over "Making the playoffs" and CHOKING every single damn year.

Although, that's so HARSH, especially for you "rah rah rah, never say anything negative about our Sioux, rah rah rah" fans.

If you have 11 bad seasons just how do you expect to get the recruits to have one good season? UND is recognized as a top caliber program by the NHL, recruits, etc. There aren't many top notch players that want to go to a program with a history of bad performance, You have 11 bad seasons the odds are that you will have many more, not suddenly pop forth with a great one.

I little amusing that a poster with "vikes" in his username is holding court on programs being judged by their championships.

Bemidji is not to be overlooked. The boys will have to show the same kind of hustle they've shown the last couple of weeks and stay the he!! out of the box.

Couldn't agree more bro!! I would say that Hak has done a tremendous job this year though. Other than that, I would have to say he's had some pretty top tier talent and done nothing with it. Just "being there" like you say isn't good enough for me either.

UND should have at least 2 titles under Hak and he's came home empty handed year after year. Plus the NH choke job, Yale, last year, it gets old.

And for you fans and your "hot goalie" talk, doesn't that get old year after year after year as an excuse? It'd be nice if we had the "hot goalie" for once, or if we could score on the "hot goalie" like every other team does the next game.

Post of the year imo man!

While I am not in the "Fire Hak" camp (that would be rash and stupid), it is totally fair to be critical of this team's performance in the Frozen Four under Hakstol's leadership. The 2008 debacle against Boston College when we were down 4-0 midway thru the 1st period is inexcusable. It is part of the job of the coaching staff to get the team ready to play during those situations. Is it easy? No, but that's why these coaches get paid big money to run this program. It is not unreasonable at all to expect our teams to come out firing on all cylinders when it counts the most. And I think Hakstol would tell you the same thing if you asked him.

I have no patience with the whole "one and done format" excuse. Based on that, the Minnesota Vikings should be the team of the 1970's because of their regular season success. But they were 0-3 in Super Bowls during that decade, so they cannot be considered the best team of the 70's. That title would have to go to the Pittsburgh Steelers. And this is a very die-hard, passionate Vikings fan saying that!

As for the "hot goalie" excuse, I will give Hakstol credit for not using that when we lose. That whole thing has been invented by the Grand Forks media (check out my signature for who I think is the main culprit) and promoted by certain fans in our fan base. UMD didn't have trouble scoring enough goals last year to beat Michigan for the national title; they just got it done when it counted. I was in St. Paul for that whole debacle and the team was just not ready to play. Many, many shots from the outside and not enough traffic in front to set up screens or tip-ins. They looked nothing like the team that thumped Denver in the regional final. Frattin had a breakaway and shot the puck high and wide off the glass for Pete's Sake! I suppose that was the hot goalie again, right? :silly: I hate to say this because I hate Denver with a passion, but in retrospect I think they would have represented our league better against Michigan last year.

I have said this before and I will say it again: Since 2001, UND has become "Runner-Up U" in every single sport. We have been playing second and third fiddle to someone else in every sport during the past 11 years. And that is not the standard that was set around here in the 1980's and 90's. If it was, we wouldn't even get the caliber of student-athlete that we get. Bottom line is, no one remembers (or cares) who finishes second. At some point, it will start to affect our recruiting. And I really don't want that to happen. I think once Hakstol brings home a national title (and I do think it will happen), all this talk will go away.

• Upvote 1

I little amusing that a poster with "vikes" in his username is holding court on programs being judged by their championships.

Bemidji is not to be overlooked. The boys will have to show the same kind of hustle they've shown the last couple of weeks and stay the he!! out of the box.

That's why he'll trade 11 bad years for a championship :lol:

• Upvote 1

[

Blah Blah Blah. You guys that are content with just "being there" are the same people who want every single kid to get a trophy in sports. There are WINNERS and there are LOSERS, no matter how much you hippes want to give everyone a trophy, cookie, and a "atta boy" just for TRYING.

Hakstol, has done NOTHING that special since he's been here. His first few years he had Blais's teams that I COULD HAVE COACHED to the playoffs and FF. Bochenski, Parise, Toews, Oshie, Duncan, on and on and on and on.

He had SUPERIOR TALENT and at the end of the day came home with as many Championships (what programs like UND are judged by except by you liberal "happy to be there" clowns) as Michigan Tech and Alaska Anchorage have in the last decade.

Give me a NATIONAL TITLE and 11 bad seasons any day of the week over "Making the playoffs" and CHOKING every single damn year.

Although, that's so HARSH, especially for you "rah rah rah, never say anything negative about our Sioux, rah rah rah" fans.

Thanks for sharing. Constructive criticism is one thing; an angry, bitter, baseless rant against one of the best college hockey coaches in the nation is quite another. Coach Hakstol's record speaks for itself. There are multitudinous things in life that are more important than winning a national hockey title or a national title in any other sport, for that matter.

So, this past Frozen Four, when we lost to Michigan, was it Hak's fault that they outshot the Wolverines 40-20 and only gave up one goal (not counting the empty netter)?

The team had a lot of chances but just couldn't get one past Hunwick. I think if you told any coach that you'd outshoot the opponent by double and your goalie only gave up one goal, not one coach would turn that down.

Last year the Sioux were the best team in the nation and a LOT better than Michigan. Weren't the Sioux the highest scoring team in the nation? To get to the biggest game of the season and get shut out is a choke job in a major way. If that were the Gophers last season EVERY Sioux fan would be talking about a Gopher choke.

It's weak to give Hakstol a pass just because Hunwick had a good game.

Last year the Sioux were the best team in the nation and a LOT better than Michigan. Weren't the Sioux the highest scoring team in the nation? To get to the biggest game of the season and get shut out is a choke job in a major way. If that were the Gophers last season EVERY Sioux fan would be talking about a Gopher choke.

Can't believe I am agreeing with you on something, but I am on this. Once you reach the Frozen Four, everybody is good (especially in goal) and it's about who executes and who is ready to play. This team has not been ready to play in the Frozen Four since 2005. It's time to bring home the bacon and stop with the alibis and the excuses. Who knows, it could happen this year. Sometimes, it happens when you least expect it.

Its not hakstol that has been given the pass.....its frattin,malone,trupp,gregoire,kristo,knight and genoway!

[

That's fine. I'll just go with what one former player told me one season. I had given up on the team's chances by about December and he said "just be patient". The Sioux ended up in the Frozen Four (or was it the title game, I don't recall) and I asked him "what did you know that I didn't know" (BTW, he played here when Hak was an assistant).

He responded with "I know how good of a coach he is".

That's good enough for me. Hak hasn't had the luck in the final couple of games, but he's done damn well to continue to get there. His time will come.

Frattin had a breakaway and shot the puck high and wide off the glass for Pete's Sake!

FWIW, that shot went glove, post, then off. The replay was pretty clear. And it was a bad sign when it happened.

I watched every single game last year (many of them live) and went to the game against Michigan at the Excel. I can say that the entire team looked to me like they were playing nervous. Passes were bouncing off of sticks that any other game of the year they would have caught with ease. They almost appeared rigid.

Everyone feels the pressure in these games, it's just how you handle that pressure that defines you as a team and that team didn't execute when it mattered most. You can look at many plays in the game that point to that (Genoway shooting into Hunwick with 1/2 net open, Frattin wide open in the slot). These plays would be goals every other game of the year but it wasn't to be that night. Toughest game i've ever had to watch in my life.

I watched every single game last year (many of them live) and went to the game against Michigan at the Excel. I can say that the entire team looked to me like they were playing nervous. Passes were bouncing off of sticks that any other game of the year they would have caught with ease. They almost appeared rigid.

Everyone feels the pressure in these games, it's just how you handle that pressure that defines you as a team and that team didn't execute when it mattered most. You can look at many plays in the game that point to that (Genoway shooting into Hunwick with 1/2 net open, Frattin wide open in the slot). These plays would be goals every other game of the year but it wasn't to be that night. Toughest game i've ever had to watch in my life.

I agree, that one will stick in my mind forever.

[

I don't want to get into how much I disagree with your post and opinion but I do want to point out that you should get your facts straight before posting this bs. Hak never coached Parise (unless you mean Jordan) or Bochenski. They both left the same year Blais did. Lastly, you can have your 11 bad seasons and one national championship but I will take consistency. I would certainly like a national championship and I have no doubt one will come but I certainly enjoy watching a nationally competitve team year-in and year-out.

couldnt disagree more. By saying hak should have two titles already your making yourself look like an idiot. Nothing is guaranteed no matter how good the team is or how good the players are. Blais could have easily lost that frozen four game last year also. If you can't see how good of a coach hakstol is after this injury ridden year your an idiot. Go bag on the sioux over at the gopher forum

Hit a nerve did I? Grow up ya pansy.

I agree that was one of the tougher ones to watch, especially considering UND was considered the favorite at the frozen four, but I still vaguely remember (due to a high quantity of alcohol) the a$$kicking BC gave us at the ff in Denver. That one stung.

Yes, a hugely UND-biased crowd, and the boys gave us nothing to cheer about all game. That one will be forever burned in my brain, unfortunately. In last year's loss vs Michigan, at least the game was close, and they had a chance to win until the last minute.

Anyway, This year's team is not done over-acheiving. Go kick BSU.