SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Beavers

siouxnami

Very glad the Sioux avoided Bucky in the first round regardless of the fact that the Sioux swept them the last time the teams got together. The Beavers won't lay down and they'll push the Sioux all weekend long, but Bucky is playing their best hockey of the season and it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if they went into Denver and won that series.

A sweep over Bucky would mean more in the pairwise, but I think getting to the final five is a bigger concern (at this moment) than pairwise for the team and the coaching staff.

Never use the word easier, especially come playoff time. Might as well just give us a free trip to FF? Hardly. If the team thinks this for a second we'll lose in two games. Wisconsin will upset Denver and we'll be ready for the Beavers after a solid week of practice. Plus they are groggy after a trip back from Alaska. :) Go Sioux!

I think the key question is If we beat BSU 2x does their RPI say over .5? If so that is great and we can probably move up further. The really sucky thing is that we might be in a better situation if we win 2-1 rather than 2-0. That is why the PWR cliff sucks and KRACH should be used. If we lose the series, I fully expect the season is over.

Interesting fact to show just how close UND was to the top of the pack despite injuries. WCHA Champs Minnesota had 24 total wins but played 6 games against the bottom quarter of all college hockey (4 of them non-conference cupcakes). This included 2 games where they ran up huge points against Sacred Heart, the worst team in Hockey. The Sioux had 4 less wins but also played only played 2 games against the worst teams (Alaska Anchorage). Looked at this by KRACH

Also note that Brock Nelson was the WCHA goal scoring champ on a pretty mediocre offensive team and tied for overall with Nick Bjugstad (who is a hell of a good player). But he did put up 4 of his goals against the kind of cupcakes that UND didn't schedule. Nelson did have one more game though.

Playoffs should be fun.

Very glad the Sioux avoided Bucky in the first round regardless of the fact that the Sioux swept them the last time the teams got together. The Beavers won't lay down and they'll push the Sioux all weekend long, but Bucky is playing their best hockey of the season and it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if they went into Denver and won that series.

A sweep over Bucky would mean more in the pairwise, but I think getting to the final five is a bigger concern (at this moment) than pairwise for the team and the coaching staff.

I agree, UW has been a difficult team for UND, one of the few that have a winning record overall. Eaves always seems to come up with a way to get the most out of his guys against us and they can be very good when the games really count. Not discounting BSU, but this helps us a bit and if UW goes to Denver?, could be very interesting.

Don't forget, BSU did give UND some fits earlier this season. IMO, if UND doesn't sweep in the first round they're in trouble as far as the Final Five is concerned. With their short roster and not being a top 2 seed, they would have to play 6 games in 9 days if they were to win the Broadmoor. Playing 6 games in 9 days would be a tough feat even for a full roster.

Don't forget, BSU did give UND some fits earlier this season. IMO, if UND doesn't sweep in the first round they're in trouble as far as the Final Five is concerned. With their short roster and not being a top 2 seed, they would have to play 6 games in 9 days if they were to win the Broadmoor. Playing 6 games in 9 days would be a tough feat even for a full roster.

If UND does/can not take care of BSU then they should not be in the WCHA tourney anyway. Sorry, but that is the way it is, reality. Cannot wait for FB season.

I agree, it won't be easy, but UND won the Broadmoor two years ago playing 6 games in 9 days but that was with a full lineup.

If UND does/can not take care of BSU then they should not be in the WCHA tourney anyway. Sorry, but that is the way it is, reality. Cannot wait for FB season.

Agreed. I think you meant NCAA tourney, which is completely true. If you can't beat the Beavers in your own building (coming off a trip to Alaska) in two out of three games then you don't deserve to make the NCAA tournament. I think any player or coach would agree with you here as well.

I think BSU will be an "easier" opponent for UND...they probably have a better chance to sweep BSU than UW. I think UW could definitely have gone 3 games, with maybe even UW coming out with the series win.

BSU will be a tough matchup regardless (it always is when you are working to end a team's season), but UW definitely has the higher-end skill players that can step up in a playoff series (especially with how well UW has been playing lately).

BSU has a great goalie though, and the Sioux seem to always run into hot goalies at inopportune times. Hopefully the Sioux can close this one out in two!

I don't care if the Beavers have Patrick Roy between the pipes, this is a series we can and should win 2-0. We are the better team and we are at home. If we don't win the series, we don't deserve to go to the NCAA's.

I don't care if the Beavers have Patrick Roy between the pipes, this is a series we can and should win 2-0. We are the better team and we are at home. If we don't win the series, we don't deserve to go to the NCAA's.

Hopefully the boys want some payback for that embarassing loss to BSU back in the first half of the year, even though that was essentially the turning point in our season.

Bakala was great for the Beavers last season in the playoffs, but the Sioux for the most part have had success against the guy. Very capable of stealing some games though....very capable.

Just did a bit of research....the beavers had the second lowest goal total in the entire WCHA, and had the third most goals against. In contrast, they lead the league in PK percentage at a near 85% clip (UND finished second at 82%), and were in the top four in the WCHA in powerplay percentage, converting at a 22% clip.

Specialty teams obviously huge in the playoffs. Can't take dumb penalties to create offense for BSU.

PS: Minnesota had more penalty minutes than North Dakota.....goons.....

I think people should go back and read the thread from way back when we played Bemidji and lost in the Sunday game. This team has no talent. Hakstol can't coach. Now we have come full circle saying there is no way we should lose to a team like Bemidji State-- a team that swept a talented team like Colorado College. I guess we should be happy we aren't CC fans. Bemidji is a hardworking team with a little bit of talent to boot. Our top line is the huge difference between these teams right now, so they need to produce for the Sioux since we got shutout in the loss to them. Let's face it, talent wise our last two lines aren't head and shoulders above anybody, but Hakstol has got them fulfilling roles and chipping in here and there. Just find it very amusing that we have come from no-talent uncoached team to no way we should lose to a team that has given plenty of teams fits.

I think people should go back and read the thread from way back when we played Bemidji and lost in the Sunday game. This team has no talent. Hakstol can't coach. Now we have come full circle saying there is no way we should lose to a team like Bemidji State-- a team that swept a talented team like Colorado College. I guess we should be happy we aren't CC fans. Bemidji is a hardworking team with a little bit of talent to boot. Our top line is the huge difference between these teams right now, so they need to produce for the Sioux since we got shutout in the loss to them. Let's face it, talent wise our last two lines aren't head and shoulders above anybody, but Hakstol has got them fulfilling roles and chipping in here and there. Just find it very amusing that we have come from no-talent uncoached team to no way we should lose to a team that has given plenty of teams fits.

It never surprises me that there are ship jumpers early in the season. Last year was really one of the only Hakstol years that everyone was on board from beginning until the end. I think Hakstol is a great coach that lets a team find its identity early in the season, and once they've got it figured out starts building them into the type of team that will make a run in the second half.

With the injuries that this team has had there is way we should be talking about a top five WCHA finish, and pairwise rankings, etc. But one thing I've learned from the Hakstol era is never for one minute think his teams are out of the hunt.....Yeah, no NCAA Championships, but the last 8 years have been pretty sweet.

It never surprises me that there are ship jumpers early in the season. Last year was really one of the only Hakstol years that everyone was on board from beginning until the end. I think Hakstol is a great coach that lets a team find its identity early in the season, and once they've got it figured out starts building them into the type of team that will make a run in the second half.

With the injuries that this team has had there is way we should be talking about a top five WCHA finish, and pairwise rankings, etc. But one thing I've learned from the Hakstol era is never for one minute think his teams are out of the hunt.....Yeah, no NCAA Championships, but the last 8 years have been pretty sweet.

I know most UND fans would trade the success we have had for the last 8 years for 1 National Championship, but I don't know if many other programs would. Would you rather be a contender every year like we are, or have one good year out of five and win a NC but also having a losing/mediocre record the other 4?

Agreed. I think you meant NCAA tourney, which is completely true. If you can't beat the Beavers in your own building (coming off a trip to Alaska) in two out of three games then you don't deserve to make the NCAA tournament. I think any player or coach would agree with you here as well.

Yes, actually I meant to say WCHA final five and NCAA. If they cannot beat BSU at home in a 2 out of 3 then the season should be over, period.

Yes, actually I meant to say WCHA final five and NCAA. If they cannot beat BSU at home in a 2 out of 3 then the season should be over, period.

TBH, this time of year if UND can't win 2 out of 3, at home, against any team, then the season should be over. That is why I didn't really care if we played Wisconsin of BSU, if UND plays well, it can beat any team in the country, even with 17 skaters.

I know most UND fans would trade the success we have had for the last 8 years for 1 National Championship, but I don't know if many other programs would. Would you rather be a contender every year like we are, or have one good year out of five and win a NC but also having a losing/mediocre record the other 4?

I'll take what we've had the last 8 years over 5 or 6 mediocre years and a banner without hesitation. The titles are just about bragging rights, while strong teams year in and year out bring us lot of enjoyment many weekends thoughout the year watching high end talent playing as a team, which we have had. Now, I can see why a player might prefer a title, because the player can take personal pride in the accomplishment and is only there for 3 or 4 of those years. I'd love to see the team get #8, but what we've been getting has been a pleasure.

• Upvote 1

Might actually be better off not sweeping and advancing if it keeps BSU a TUC.