SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Beavers

siouxnami

I'll take what we've had the last 8 years over 5 or 6 mediocre years and a banner without hesitation. The titles are just about bragging rights, while strong teams year in and year out bring us lot of enjoyment many weekends thoughout the year watching high end talent playing as a team, which we have had. Now, I can see why a player might prefer a title, because the player can take personal pride in the accomplishment and is only there for 3 or 4 of those years. I'd love to see the team get #8, but what we've been getting has been a pleasure.

This is the same argument that Gopher fans made in the 1980's and 90's; titles don't really matter, all that matters is that we are in the playoffs every year. I think consistent success and championships are the benchmarks of a great program, not just one or the other. Fair or not, all people remember are the teams that raise NCAA title banners, not teams that are "there year in and year out". For example, Miami (OH) won't be considered a top echelon program until they get over the hump and win a national title. We haven't won a national title in any sport since 2001 (Football). Now with NDSU shoving their FCS football title in our faces 24/7, it is time we get over the hump. That would definitely shut up the "Fire Hakstol" crowd.

This is the same argument that Gopher fans made in the 1980's and 90's; titles don't really matter, all that matters is that we are in the playoffs every year. I think consistent success and championships are the benchmarks of a great program, not just one or the other. Fair or not, all people remember are the teams that raise NCAA title banners, not teams that are "there year in and year out". For example, Miami (OH) won't be considered a top echelon program until they get over the hump and win a national title. We haven't won a national title in any sport since 2001 (Football). Now with NDSU shoving their FCS football title in our faces 24/7, it is time we get over the hump. That would definitely shut up the "Fire Hakstol" crowd.

Winning championships are important, but I agree with burd. I would rather have the team competing for championships just about every year than have a great year and then 4 or 5 or 6 bad years. If you are competing for championships eventually you will probably win one or two. Look at the other top programs in college hockey. Michigan, Boston College, Boston U, Wisconsin, Denver and Minnesota have all had long periods of being very good without winning a championship. I believe the "what have you done for me lately" attitude is bad for a program. The only thing that Hakstol hasn't done is win the title. If he keeps going he probably will get his trophy eventually. And he may even win more than one.

I have no doubt that Hakstol will win an NCAA title eventually. Definitely don't think it will be this year due to all the injuries, but even as soon as next year he could have one.

You know what you are 100% correct. Hakstol will win a title. Not exactly sure when but he will. He is to good of a coach and we have to good of a program to not win another title soon. Next year possibly depending on the early departures. Hell after last year I guess any one could win a title as long as they make the tournament. Duluth proved that.

• Upvote 1

Thursday, March 15

Highest remaining seed likely Denver/North Dakota vs. lowest remaining seed - Time TBD, could be 2pm or 7pm

Two middle seeds (traditionally the 4 vs. 5 matchup) likely North Dakota vs someone UNLESS Denver loses to Wisconsin - Time TBD, could be 2pm or 7pm.

TV rules all so it's likely that they will go with the best TV/attendance matchup for the 7pm game. You would have to like UND's chances of getting the 7pm Thursday game if they make it to St. Paul.

Friday, March 16

(Semifinal) #2 Duluth vs. Winner of the 3 vs 6 matchup (after first round re-seeding) - game time likely 2pm

(Semifinal) #1 Minnesota vs. Winner of the 4 vs 5 matchup after first round re-seeeding) -game time likely 7pm -- #1 usually plays at 7pm unless Minnesota is still alive. In this case, they are both so that pretty much means the Gophers will get the late game

Friday, March 16

7pm Championship Game

If other experts have conflicting info, please correct this rube...but that's usually how it plays out

From WCHA Website:

Following the first round of playoffs, the six winners will be re-seeded No. 1 thru No. 6 according to their regular season finish and move on to the 2012 Red Baronâ„¢ WCHA Final Five, set for Thursday, March 15 thru Saturday, March 17 at Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, Minn. The Final Five winner receives the Broadmoor Trophy and the WCHA's automatic berth into the NCAA tournament.

Thursday, March 15

Highest remaining seed likely Denver/North Dakota vs. lowest remaining seed - Time TBD, could be 2pm or 7pm

Two middle seeds (traditionally the 4 vs. 5 matchup) likely North Dakota vs someone UNLESS Denver loses to Wisconsin - Time TBD, could be 2pm or 7pm.

TV rules all so it's likely that they will go with the best TV/attendance matchup for the 7pm game. You would have to like UND's chances of getting the 7pm Thursday game if they make it to St. Paul.

Friday, March 16

(Semifinal) #2 Duluth vs. Winner of the 3 vs 6 matchup (after first round re-seeding) - game time likely 2pm

(Semifinal) #1 Minnesota vs. Winner of the 4 vs 5 matchup after first round re-seeeding) -game time likely 7pm -- #1 usually plays at 7pm unless Minnesota is still alive. In this case, they are both so that pretty much means the Gophers will get the late game

Friday, March 16

7pm Championship Game

If other experts have conflicting info, please correct this rube...but that's usually how it plays out

From WCHA Website:

Following the first round of playoffs, the six winners will be re-seeded No. 1 thru No. 6 according to their regular season finish and move on to the 2012 Red Baronâ„¢ WCHA Final Five, set for Thursday, March 15 thru Saturday, March 17 at Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, Minn. The Final Five winner receives the Broadmoor Trophy and the WCHA's automatic berth into the NCAA tournament.

For the most part you are right, but the one area that you are wrong is that the 1 seed plays the lowest seed, so if the 6 seed happens to win they would play the 1 seed and then the 2 seed gets the winner of the 4/5 game.

For the most part you are right, but the one area that you are wrong is that the 1 seed plays the lowest seed, so if the 6 seed happens to win they would play the 1 seed and then the 2 seed gets the winner of the 4/5 game.

I'm not sure thats how it works....last year bemidji (6) upset umd(3) in the 3vs6 matchup and played denver,the two seed, in the semis...

I'm not sure thats how it works....last year bemidji (6) upset umd(3) in the 3vs6 matchup and played denver,the two seed, in the semis...

I believe the teams are only re-seeded once (prior to the first game of the F5), after that it follows a bracket.

So if the Women's hockey team is done for the season (I suppose we find out tomorrow), are there rules in the NCAA that would not allow Mario's sisters from shoring up the depleted Men's roster for the WCHA tourney? I just keep thinking with the contact to the head rule, these women would be drawing Majors and game DQ's every time someone touched them. Hey, we would have 4 lines again!

You can't be serious. Unless we needed someone to sit for a 10 minute misconduct...hmm...

Bemidji State? You mean this Bemidji State? All this talk of Final Five seems very premature given that BSU has figured out how to beat UND.

Alternatively, after that debacle UND was 4-7-1. Since then UND is 16-5-2. Let's hope whatever the team learned that ugly day continues to stick in UND's mind and they want a chance to teach it to Bemidji State.

DEAN BLAIS :whistling::devil:

You know its kind of funny, but after the World Junior tournament this past year, and the swoon that UNO is going through, Deano has kind of lost of bit of gusto in my eyes. Still a great hockey coach, but I think the end could be near. Heck, they've got his replacement already figured out, wouldn't surprise me at the end of this season if Coach Blais stepped down.

Like I said though, great man, great hockey coach. At this point in time though, I back Hak.