SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Recruiting

Hambone

Interesting tweet by Coach Kotelnicki. Must have been a pretty good recruit!!

Josh Kotelnicki@CoachKotelnicki

Lots of "firsts" in recruiting this year....but today was the first staff 2 staff member chest bump over recruiting! All I can say per NCAA!

That sure sounds like a commitment or two!!

Sounds like UND is taking off pretty well in the near future..with this years recruits and now this tweet for the new class next year. This keeps up (and if these recruits standout) UND will be the team to beat in the Big Sky.

Sounds like UND is taking off pretty well in the near future..with this years recruits and now this tweet for the new class next year. This keeps up (and if these recruits standout) UND will be the team to beat in the Big Sky.

It's nice to see the coaching staff excited about recruits, but I would temper your enthusiasm just a bit. We haven't even played a game in the BSC yet. We have a lot to prove in the BSC and at the FCS level. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but recruits are just that recruits. Sometimes it translates to the next level sometimes it doesn't.

It's nice to see the coaching staff excited about recruits, but I would temper your enthusiasm just a bit. We haven't even played a game in the BSC yet. We have a lot to prove in the BSC and at the FCS level. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but recruits are just that recruits. Sometimes it translates to the next level sometimes it doesn't.

I'm with dmk on this. Better to be surprised in a good way by your team than to have wayyy too high of expectations like some fans can do and watch the team fall short of that. I'm sure Montana,Montana State, and Eastern Washington are excited about their recruits too and have all proven they know what it takes to be successful at the this level.

Hopefully, UND will be a team to beat in the Big Sky at some point. But I tend to agree with others to temper the enthusiasm until we at least see what we are in for week in and week out. Can't have off weeks anymore and expect to win. We just slipped by Northern Colorado last year who I believe is picked to finish in the cellar, so I am interested to see if the Sioux can keep their focus every week to be a contender for the upper echelon of the league this year.

Hopefully, UND will be a team to beat in the Big Sky at some point. But I tend to agree with others to temper the enthusiasm until we at least see what we are in for week in and week out. Can't have off weeks anymore and expect to win. We just slipped by Northern Colorado last year who I believe is picked to finish in the cellar, so I am interested to see if the Sioux can keep their focus every week to be a contender for the upper echelon of the league this year.

Yeah, I find it kind of funny and naively biased that people continue to overlook that as we go into this season (directed towards people who think we're going to win the dang thing). It certainly is possible and I hope it happens, but let’s be competently cautious....

I also believe that they will be much better than people are giving them credit. They have a new strength coach that has been putting their guys through the ringer this summer and the overall morale of the players seems to be pretty high. This game is no longer a gimme.

Yup, the key word is "A" team to beat every year. In the last five years of the NCC the perennial teams to beat every year were UNO, UND and SDSU. Beat two out of three and you were going to the playoffs.

larry-david.jpg

Yeah, I find it kind of funny and naively biased that people continue to overlook that as we go into this season (directed towards people who think we're going to win the dang thing). It certainly is possible and I hope it happens, but let’s be competently cautious....

Don't disagree. However, I think it's natural to have feelings of hope and enthusiasm going into each new season -- that's what makes it fun. That combined with last year's flashes of stellar play in the Southern Utah game, or taking FBS Fresno St. to the wire, or the dog fight against Cal Poly or the come-back against USD, as well as our returning strengths at DL, OL, K and RB, and new talent and improved prospects at QB, TE, WR and the secondary -- give fans reasons to believe. Hope springs eternal! Now let's just get it done on the field.

My main reason for excitment and high expectations is the fact that we go from a qb who only threw spirals on accident and thinks Tebow has nice mechanics to a stud who fell into our laps.

There's no question; if Hanson plays like a former North Carolina Gatorade High School Player of the Year and a FBS quarterback, and our deepest unit on the team (wide receiver) does big things, this year's team could be drastically improved from last year's team. However, there are so many other variables to consider, including injuries, O-line play, system familiarity and the learning-curve, defensive back play, etc. This season really is a tossup when you look at it that way.

There's no question; if Hanson plays like a former North Carolina Gatorade High School Player of the Year and a FBS quarterback, and our deepest unit on the team (wide receiver) does big things, this year's team could be drastically improved from last year's team. However, there are so many other variables to consider, including injuries, O-line play, system familiarity and the learning-curve, defensive back play, etc. This season really is a tossup when you look at it that way.

Other than injuries which can ruin any team I feel really good about every OL other than RT. I just don't think Gillson can move well enough. The interior is unreal though, Lynch is the best of those three starters and Kleason and McGurran are both studs. Throw in Walker and now Anderson and that is one excellent group of interior hogs.

Also I won't even guess on the secondary until I see those two juco safeties in action.

That's why I said if the recruits standout. I can't help my excitement, I am just pumped up for the season to start and hope for the upcoming success of UND football.

• Upvote 2

I understand that part of your post. The whole "UND will become the team to beat in the BSC" is the part to temper down abit. Remember, nobody on our coaching staff has coached a season in the BSC. They can be enthusiastic as they want about recruits, but until this coaching staff proves they can recruit the right kind of kidds and win week in week out in a strong conference (Great West was fine but only had four weeks), I find it premature about becoming "the" team to beat. As someone else stated, perhaps UND will become "a" team to beat...a team that finishes in the top 3-4 on a consistent basis. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the future of UND football as well. Just don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves too quickly.

I understand that part of your post. The whole "UND will become the team to beat in the BSC" is the part to temper down abit. Remember, nobody on our coaching staff has coached a season in the BSC. They can be enthusiastic as they want about recruits, but until this coaching staff proves they can recruit the right kind of kidds and win week in week out in a strong conference (Great West was fine but only had four weeks), I find it premature about becoming "the" team to beat. As someone else stated, perhaps UND will become "a" team to beat...a team that finishes in the top 3-4 on a consistent basis. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the future of UND football as well. Just don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves too quickly.

I'm not sure when finishing top 3-4 became fine for UND. The coaches aren't recruiting players who want to be fine, they are recruiting players who want to be the best and only strive for finishing in the top 1 not the top 3-4. If we aren't expecting the football team to be the best in short order than we are doing the program a disservice. If you want to cheer for a team that will do fine there are plenty of teams in the NSIC.

• Upvote 1

Being one of the "Teams to beat" fits that goal I believe. Every year in the NCC the expectation was to win the conference and make the play-offs, I think UND adminstriation and staff has shown they are committed to making that a regular expectation once the dust has settle from the transition. I am positive it is part of every recruiting conversation.

I'm not sure when finishing top 3-4 became fine for UND. The coaches aren't recruiting players who want to be fine, they are recruiting players who want to be the best and only strive for finishing in the top 1 not the top 3-4. If we aren't expecting the football team to be the best in short order than we are doing the program a disservice. If you want to cheer for a team that will do fine there are plenty of teams in the NSIC.

I guess I'm not making my self clear enough. Do I want UND to be the best team in the BSC, of course I do. I just found it a bit premature to say that UND is becoming the team to beat in the BSC because a coach tweeted that he was excited about a new recruit. I want to see UND compete for the BSC championship on a regular basis before we consider ourselves to be the team to beat. In otherwords, lets prove it on the field.

• Upvote 3

Finishing top 3-4 consistently in a good conference is a good goal I'd say. Especially in a conference with Montana and Montana State. Expecting UND to finish 1st every year is just not realistic. Finishing top 3 will often get you into the playoffs I imagine and top 4 might especially with the expanded field.

Also, you should keep in mind that the coaches in Cheney, Missoula, and Bozeman are also recruiting kids who want to win the Big Sky, and right now, all three of those teams have recently won Big Sky crowns and know exactly what it takes to do well.

The ultimate goal is obviously not to finish 3rd or 4th. The ultimate goal will be to win the conference every year. But in a conference with Montana and Montana State that's simply not realistic. If UND is able to finish in the top 4 every year, always within a game or 2 of the conference title, with a conference title every few years, and making the playoffs/winning some playoff games more often than not, I'll be very happy with the program. It's not different than the hockey team. You could argue that we're the best program in the WCHA but we certainly don't win the conference every year, we're just always near the top.