SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Recruiting

Hambone

I doubt we get deandre miller. He has a offer from arizona and he is from arizona. A fbs offer form home state school trumps any fcs offer IMO.

BUt im glad we are going after the right guys meaning that they are getting fbs recruit. even if we dont get them atleast we are making a play after them.

maybe he likes to fly?

I'll go out on a limb and say we get at least one verbal after this weekend.

From what I understand, there will be a TON of recruits on campus again for the spring game Junior Day.

Are you sure they won't be glued to the TV watching the NDSU spring game? :D Just kidding - Haven't heard any think about the UND spring game- anything happening besides the game?

I had a question: Someone earlier on this thread mentioned that kotelnicki took over the recruiting coordinator duties when belmore left. How much of this aggressive approach is he responsible for and how much is it mussman or how much of it is individual assistants? I guess my more general question is what exactly does a recruiting coordinator do? Does he make decisions about all positions and who to offer?

I had a question: Someone earlier on this thread mentioned that kotelnicki took over the recruiting coordinator duties when belmore left. How much of this aggressive approach is he responsible for and how much is it mussman or how much of it is individual assistants? I guess my more general question is what exactly does a recruiting coordinator do? Does he make decisions about all positions and who to offer?

He'd be in charge of scheduling visits, telling the coaches where to go, and giving the coach daily updates on players. I think.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/football/ct-spt-0417-prep-foot-edgy-recruiting-notes-20120417,0,587949.story

Several offers on the table: North Dakota is off to a running start recruiting the Chicago area this spring.

The Fighting Sioux have offered scholarships to Bolingbrook running back Omar Stover, Lincoln-Way Central defensive ends Evan Panfil and Grant Bartell, Jacobs defensive end Adam Kulon Jr., Maine South offensive lineman Pat Maloney and Lemont offensive center Tim McAuliffe. Other area players that have offers from North Dakota are Lyons wide receiver Matt Harris, Benet defensive endCharles Melka, Montini defensive end Fred Beaugard, Bartlett defensive end Chris Kantzavelos and Palatine safety Jesse Bobbit.

Two more offers:

OL Max Rich, 6'7", 280, Portland (Jesuit), OR

DT Garrett Cary, 6'4", 265, Walwork (Bigfoot), WI

As I said before, I applaud our aggressiveness and all these offers sure make it enjoyable for those of us who follow FB recruiting closely. However, I hope we aren't going overrboard. If an offered recruit goes on Rivals (as I am sure most do) and sees that UND has so many offers out there, I hope they don't ask themselves "does UND really want me when they have already have 10 offers out to defensive linemen?". I would guess that coaching staff is explaining our philosophy to these kids - I hope so!

Two more offers:

OL Max Rich, 6'7", 280, Portland (Jesuit), OR

DT Garrett Cary, 6'4", 265, Walwork (Bigfoot), WI

As I said before, I applaud our aggressiveness and all these offers sure make it enjoyable for those of us who follow FB recruiting closely. However, I hope we aren't going overrboard. If an offered recruit goes on Rivals (as I am sure most do) and sees that UND has so many offers out there, I hope they don't ask themselves "does UND really want me when they have already have 10 offers out to defensive linemen?". I would guess that coaching staff is explaining our philosophy to these kids - I hope so!

That amount of offers is par for the course in D1 football. I would think that 10-15 of the offers are to FBS bound players meaning they are now down to 25-30 offers, maybe. Out of that a team can only hope to get 5-10 of those early-offered kids. They are going to sign 20-25 players.

Have to remember, these early offers are to the best of the best at our level. The coaches have to show interest early or they will be out of the running later.

If we have connections with the Illinois area I say go get kids wherever you can find them. Some question why we are not in California as much right now. It doesn't matter where they come from if they are good enough. As far as California how many kids from California do we have right now? Were any of the new recruits from California?

That amount of offers is par for the course in D1 football. I would think that 10-15 of the offers are to FBS bound players meaning they are now down to 25-30 offers, maybe. Out of that a team can only hope to get 5-10 of those early-offered kids. They are going to sign 20-25 players. Have to remember, these early offers are to the best of the best at our level. The coaches have to show interest early or they will be out of the running later.

Please understand that the following is not intended to be critical of our very proactive recruiting strategy but I do need to disagree with your statement "That amount of offers is par for the course in D1 football". It certainly is the case with the major bowl-eligible D1 teams but it isn't the norm at our level.

If you assume that Rivals is a reasonably good source of FB recruiting data, the following are examples that very few FCS schools are doing this. These are number of athletes (by school) being recruited who have offers from someone - not necessarily offers by that school. This means that the individual college's actual number of offers may be less than the number shown below.

School Recruits

UND 27 (per various sources, we know we have made at least 33 offers)

Montana 2

Montana St. 1

USD 6

NDSU 1

S Illinois 1

N Arizona 2

Richmond 0

Appalachan St 1

IL St 8

SDSU 23 (appears to be the only other school with a similar recruiting model)

UNI 1

Cal Poly 1

IN St 1

Sac St 0

GA Southern 7

N Colorado 0

S. F. Austin 0

UC Davis 0

W IL 1

Youngstown 0

Even some of the bowl-eligible schools have not started to actively make offers:

Fresno 7

S Diego St 0

E MI 0

Bowling Green 0

Wyoming 0

Toledo 0

San Jose St 0

UTEP 0

Some are a little more active:

CSU 18

Ball St 27

The above certainly is not a scientific study but I believe it does tell a story - it would appear that no one (outside of SDSU) is making offers anywhere near the number that we are handing out. I also realize that Rivals is probably more up-to-date in some geographic areas than others but if you simply compare our offers to other schools in the midwest, you should be reasonably close to comparing "apples-to-apples"!

Again, I am not looking to argue about the strategy - I like it and sincerely hope it is effective!

Rivals is not a good way to go about seeing how many "offers" were put out. Extremely incomplete at this time of the year.

I guarantee you 100% that NDSU, SDSU, and USD have all put out at least 30-40 offers to prospective recruits. They may hanot have gotten the same publicity that UND has through twitter by Edgy Tim, for example. USD is all over Illinois but we haven't heard of many offers.....You know they have.

Do you really think Dale Lennon has only put out 1 offer so far for 2013? C'mon.

Plus, guys like you are staying on top of this stuff so everyone is kept up to date. Props to you!

Rivals is not a good way to go about seeing how many "offers" were put out. Extremely incomplete at this time of the year.

I guarantee you 100% that NDSU, SDSU, and USD have all put out at least 30-40 offers to prospective recruits. They may hanot have gotten the same publicity that UND has through twitter by Edgy Tim, for example. USD is all over Illinois but we haven't heard of many offers.....You know they have.

Do you really think Dale Lennon has only put out 1 offer so far for 2013? C'mon.

Plus, guys like you are staying on top of this stuff so everyone is kept up to date. Props to you!

We really don't need to debate this any further but why would Edgy Tim just be reporting UND and not USD offers. I don't visit other schools boards but I understand (per the avid SU fan base) that you can count their known offers on one hand (maybe a couple of fingers). They follow recruiting we do in hockey - they would likely know about at least most of their offers.

Do I think Dale has just made one offer? Of course not - as I said, no one really knows what offers are made but unless UND and SDSU are leaking this info into the media (and they are restricted from doing so and I don't believe they are dumb enough to do so), they have to be recruiting in a different manner than most of the other peer universities.

You can have the last word, if you like, but then let's end the debate. It really isn't necessary.

Unless NDSU changed their recruiting philosophy over the winter, I know they have a bunch of offers out, like I already said. Geography also plays a huge part. Who covers these areas also is big.

Enough on this already, agreed.

Not stoking the coals here, just giving my worthless opinion on this.

All I can say is that I am glad this forum is being constructively critical of our staff for being too aggressive in recruiting high school student-athletes. I would MUCH rather have it this way rather than being critical for not being aggressive enough.

Lets say we have 50 offers out already. Like others have stated, probably half of those 'early' offers will end up going to FBS schools. The other half will be divided among the top 10 FCS schools that recruit in the region - of which 3 or less will ultimately be in the running on signing day. If you do the math, that doesn't leave many for each school. If we were to get just 10 of these hypothetical 50 early offers, the coaching staff would be ecstatic I'm guessing. And if they want to get the 20-25 they get each year, they still have to go get 10-15 more kids.

The numbers say we should be offering way more kids early - presuming we have enough info to properly evaluate and justify the offer. The kids love the early attention and sometimes it holds water for them when they make their final decision.

I hope the coaches get criticized for offering too many kids. That's a good thing. It also drives up the competitive market for these kids as there are only so many scholarships to go around.

It also would be nice to have to tell kids "no" wouldn't it? Also, it creates a 'first come, first serve' atmosphere for the recruits: "We've got 3 scholarship offers to QBs this year. First one to say yes is who we are taking in this class...".

Some FCS schools are very lazy in recruiting. School X sees that School Y has offered a kid, so they offer him in turn without doing their own homework and only because of the recruiting competition. Trust me, it happens all the time.

This is a non-issue in my opinion. Mussman, Kotelnicki and the staff have this thing right. Keep offering away....

• Upvote 1

Personalized interest can oftentimes be a determinant in a recruit making up his mind as to which school to commit to. With as many offers as we're making, I hope we're able to continue giving that kind of personalized interest to each student athlete that we're recruiting.

that's why I asked the question a couple of posts earlier: who deserves the credit for this? For the 1st time in a long time I see evidence of a PLAN with our recruiting. Multiple offers on certain dates, mention of UND in the Chicago tribune...these are all great things! keep it up!

• Upvote 3