SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Recruiting

Hambone

I thought that back during best Lennon and DII years that UND recruited FB athletes in general and had a philosophy to put the very best athletes on defense. The result was top notch defenses. Do I recall correctly, can anyone support that or refute it? I may be generalizing too much.

What is more attractive to a kid?

A) be part of a high flying offense, but not until you are probably a junior.

Or

B) come help our horse bleep tackling defense as a true freshman, because obviously we need help.

I think that recruits won't have to wait til junior year to contribute. Although stockpiling talent means that lose players will need to start out on special teams to see the field early and work like crazy to have a shot to be apart of our awesome offense.

Defensive recruits probably see how bad the DBs are and think they could fill that hole and make us a great team instead of just an offense. If we could get great recruits during 2010 we should do really well this year. If I'm a young safety I'm thinking to myself that I could come in and be the man in the secondary for 4 years, thats an attractive option.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably the least knowledgeable UND football fan when it comes to recruiting. So here is my question. Do we have any recruits coming in that can cover wide receivers? Or recruits that won't blow coverage schemes more than 5 times a game?

I believe the focus has been too much on putting together a "Big Sky" offense, at the expense of recruiting for defense.

My dad mentioned that when we were discussing what was going on with the UND defense. He had a feeling that too much may have been put into getting an offense on the field (similar to Notre Dame problems the last 10 years).

Tough to find speed in this part of the country. Just don't miss bad on guys like Hall and Mackey. Get some big fast LB/DE tweeners that aren't developed enough yet to go FBS and develop them. I agree that most of the team should be midwestern kids because you can't find grit like that anywhere else but it's tough to find speed like we need around this part of the country. There are more of those types of guys in SEC country which means more that will fall through the cracks that we can pick up, they need to have the right attitude though.

Plenty of speed up here. Beck, Olson, Littlejohn are all ND/MN boys, so was Jemison. SEC country kids are more than likely going to stay in SEC country. Lots of FCS schools down there. Also the Sun Belt taking a lot of guys that aren't good enough to get recruited for BCS schools.

IMO, me and Sic are on the same thought train.

I'm probably the least knowledgeable UND football fan when it comes to recruiting. So here is my question. Do we have any recruits coming in that can cover wide receivers? Or recruits that won't blow coverage schemes more than 5 times a game?

I believe there's a pretty good corner red shirting--Dan Konowalski (sp?). Also, Ryan Cain was a fairly heralded safety prospect coming out of high school.

My dad mentioned that when we were discussing what was going on with the UND defense. He had a feeling that too much may have been put into getting an offense on the field (similar to Notre Dame problems the last 10 years).

Plenty of speed up here. Beck, Olson, Littlejohn are all ND/MN boys, so was Jemison. SEC country kids are more than likely going to stay in SEC country. Lots of FCS schools down there. Also the Sun Belt taking a lot of guys that aren't good enough to get recruited for BCS schools.

IMO, me and Sic are on the same thought train.

Theres a reason we both hit Arizona hard in recruiting these days.

I believe there's a pretty good corner red shirting--Dan Konowalski (sp?). Also, Ryan Cain was a fairly heralded safety prospect coming out of high school.

I guess I wonder with the defense as bad as it has been, why weren't those redshirts pulled? We seemed to pull Golladay's redshirt even though we have more depth at that position than any other.

I guess I wonder with the defense as bad as it has been, why weren't those redshirts pulled? We seemed to pull Golladay's redshirt even though we have more depth at that position than any other.

This is just my opinion, and not based on any purported "inside info", but my guess is that had the staff really thought the defense was going to struggle as badly as it has, you likely would have seen several red shirts pulled early in fall camp. At a minimum, I think Edwards and Konowalski could have played immediately. But when UND started 3-1, perhaps it was just hoped that the defense would come around, and that it was wiser to retain the extra year of eligibility for all the freshmen besides Golladay? Whether that was the right decision or not, I don't know. I just can't believe it was ever contemplated that 35 points and 500 yards allowed per game was going to be the norm. By the time it became clear that it was, it was too late to justify pulling any red shirts.

• Upvote 3

This is just my opinion, and not based on any purported "inside info", but my guess is that had the staff really thought the defense was going to struggle as badly as it has, you likely would have seen several red shirts pulled early in fall camp. At a minimum, I think Edwards and Konowalski could have played immediately. But when UND started 3-1, perhaps it was just hoped that the defense would come around, and that it was wiser to retain the extra year of eligibility for all the freshmen besides Golladay? Whether that was the right decision or not, I don't know. I just can't believe it was ever contemplated that 35 points and 500 yards allowed per game was going to be the norm. By the time it became clear that it was, it was too late to justify pulling any red shirts.

I concur with your assessment. By the time we really learned that our defense was this poor, they didn't want to waste a full year of eligibility for a half year of action.

... and no playoffs.

Its frustrating to think of what this team could have done if they closed out some games. Cal Poly, Northern Arizona, San Diego State.......

I'm not going to pretend that they should have beaten either EWU or Montana State. They got their ##### kicked. But even if they win two of those three games they finish 8-3 (they should beat UNC...SHOULD) and have a chance of making the postseason. They weren't going to win a national championship, but making the postseason their first year of eligibility would have been a tremendous accomplishment.

• Upvote 2

Its frustrating to think of what this team could have done if they closed out some games. Cal Poly, Northern Arizona, San Diego State.......

I'm not going to pretend that they should have beaten either EWU or Montana State. They got their ##### kicked. But even if they win two of those three games they finish 8-3 (they should beat UNC...SHOULD) and have a chance of making the postseason. They weren't going to win a national championship, but making the postseason their first year of eligibility would have been a tremendous accomplishment.

Yeah... So close yet so far away.

We have so many things that need to be fixed that many are calling for the coach's head. Yet you're right, we were pretty close to having a good season (record wise) with one of the hardest schedules in the country.

Statistically, even if the defense would have played mediocre-I mean ranked in the middle of the pack nationally-who knows what this team is capable of. A competent defense would have taken a tremendous amount of pressure off Hanson. It's too bad he didn't make the call and leave UNC a year earlier. One year is a tight window.

Statistically, even if the defense would have played mediocre-I mean ranked in the middle of the pack nationally-who knows what this team is capable of. A competent defense would have taken a tremendous amount of pressure off Hanson. It's too bad he didn't make the call and leave UNC a year earlier. One year is a tight window.

He would have had to sit out a year if he had transferred a year earlier. He graduated from UNC early and is working on his masters degree, which is why he is able to play this season.