SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Nothing to do with business - all about the playoffs and positioning themselves for home playoff games.

Well, $100,000 buyout. They'll probably get paid a minimum of 4-5 times that for a trip to SMU.

Even using FU math that seems like a pretty good business decision to me.

• Upvote 1

Nothing to do with business - all about the playoffs and positioning themselves for home playoff games.

You couldn't be more wrong dan, they are going to play an FBS team, who they will probably lose to. The kicker is much more money....business. Now go run along back to bisonville.

A lot of this could be avoided if Gene Taylor wasn't viewed as such an arrogant idiot within the AD community. He acts like a complete asshole with his public statements and then expects others to honor their commitments with him. He behaves with zero integrity and then expects to be treated right by others. it doesn't work that way.

• Upvote 4

At least Gene handled it with class. LOLOL! He comes off as a major jerkoff in that article.

So what else is new?

NDSU is frustrated and rightfully so. But It is not like Montana St. did anything dirty or under-handed. They simply excercised a clause in a contract that was mutually agreed upon by both parties.

Does anybody really think that Fargo would not do the same thing if a Big 10 or Big 12 school came knocking with a $500K+ payout?

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see Montana buy out the future game with NDSU too. Montana probably wouildn't appreciate GT remarks grouping all the Big Sky with Monatana State.

Pretty sure the Montana game is the front-end of a home and home. If Montana wants NDSU to travel there, I don't see them buying it out. But I concur about GT's comments. Makes you think they don't teach PR down at FU.

So what else is new?

NDSU is frustrated and rightfully so. But It is not like Montana St. did anything dirty or under-handed. They simply excercised a clause in a contract that was mutually agreed upon by both parties.

Does anybody really think that Fargo would not do the same thing if a Big 10 or Big 12 school came knocking with a $500K+ payout?

Stringing us along and buying this game out now is dirty. I fully endorse every word that GT said.

There isn't an AD in the country that would think less of him for it. Each and everyone of them would be pissed. There is a way you go about buying out games and this isn't it. Bush league move.

Stringing us along and buying this game out now is dirty. I fully endorse every word that GT said.

There isn't an AD in the country that would think less of him for it. Each and everyone of them would be pissed. There is a way you go about buying out games and this isn't it. Bush league move.

He called out the conference commissioner and the whole conference. Thats over the top and immature.

• Upvote 1

There isn't an AD in the country that would think less of him for it. Each and everyone of them would be pissed.

After the Colorado State post game blubbering and then apology for said blubbering, one would think he would have a bit more tact.

He doesnt appear to be aa respected as one might think.

After the Colorado State post game blubbering and then apology for said blubbering, one would think he would have a bit more tact.

He doesnt appear to be aa respected as one might think.

I didn't agree with that outburst, it was embarrassing. This though I fully agree with.

His peers gave him some kind of award this summer, he most be more well respected than you think.

Any FCS team would have done the same thing, with the amount of income they will be receiving. Sure it is frustrating, but if you don't want it to happen then negotiate a bigger buyout in your contract when signing, especially when it is with a team that has bought you out once already. GT is simply mad because he got the short end of the stick, he is representing NDSU though so you would think he would act a bit more cordially about the process. Business is business....

I didn't agree with that outburst, it was embarrassing. This though I fully agree with.

His peers gave him some kind of award this summer, he most be more well respected than you think.

Lance Armstrong received numerous community and volunteer awards as well......what's your point. He has pulled this PR crap before and it is now happening again, not saying it's a big deal (it really isn't in my eyes), but it seems that it is part of the package you get from him.

That was last summer. His Colorado State blunders and this round of screwups came since last summer. His chances for future awards might be slipping away.

Again though, it was a business decision. Not an attempt to "duck" Fargo. Not dirty and not bush league. Obviously it was done completely within the frame-work of the contract that was signed by both Athletic Directors.

Perhaps in the future, all atheltic directors should put a deadline for which buyout clauses can be excercised in addition to the monetary penalty.

But from what I've seen of Gene Taylor in the past, my guess is he would have been just as teary eyed had this taken place back in September as he is now. So I call BS on the whole "well it would be alot different if it wasn't February" argument.

Any FCS team would have done the same thing, with the amount of income they will be receiving. Sure it is frustrating, but if you don't want it to happen then negotiate a bigger buyout in your contract when signing, especially when it is with a team that has bought you out once already. GT is simply mad because he got the short end of the stick, he is representing NDSU though so you would think he would act a bit more cordially about the process. Business is business....

They'll make $150k by doing this and that isn't putting what NDSU was willing to pay them into the equation.

GT is mad because he is now put in a tough spot, if MSU had done this the right way he wouldn't have to worry about vastly overpaying to get some scrub team to come up here.

He will never deal with MSU again, he can rip away for all I care. There are other FCS and Big Sky school that are much easier to deal with.

They'll make $150k by doing this and that isn't putting what NDSU was willing to pay them into the equation.

GT is mad because he is now put in a tough spot, if MSU had done this the right way he wouldn't have to worry about vastly overpaying to get some scrub team to come up here.

He will never deal with MSU again, he can rip away for all I care. There are other FCS and Big Sky school that are much easier to deal with.

-- thread drift - moved it to the other thread with well thread drift.. sorry.

Again, Taylor put himself in this position by signing a contract with a $10,000 buyout. He should be happy MSU gave him another $100,000 to just go away. I am sure MSU has buyers remorse and wish they would have stuck with the original contract of $10,000. NDSU fans should be asking Taylor why did you sign a home and home with a $10,000 buyout?

Because we were fresh out of DII, had five conference games and absolutely zero leverage in getting good teams to play us in Fargo. I think there was some sort of agreement between the ADs that if you honor that deal...NDSU will do another home and home with MSU.

The buyout for our future game with Montana is something like $250k.

I don't care about the buy out, if they never wanted to play the game they should have said so earlier. That is why this was a dirty move, you don't string a school along like this. It is bush league and I would even say it if some school pulled this stunt on UND.

Because we were fresh out of DII, had five conference games and absolutely zero leverage in getting good teams to play us in Fargo. I think there was some sort of agreement between the ADs that if you honor that deal...NDSU will do another home and home with MSU.

I don't care about the buy out, if they never wanted to play the game they should have said so earlier. That is why this was a dirty move, you don't string a school along like this. It is bush league and I would even say it if some school pulled this stunt on UND.

Sorry everyone - I am trying to eliminate my thread drift.. FB moving my response to the UND/NDSU thread.

He called out the conference commissioner and the whole conference. Thats over the top and immature.

Maybe he should just stop talking to the Forum on Saturday evenings. Or lay off the sauce until he gets home.

Some school did this to UND..,.Idaho State in 2009. UND replaced the void with a Britney Spears concert because we couldn't get a replacement game, but did the AD call out the whole BSC? GT is a douche for blaming all 11 teams for the actions of one.