SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

NDSU will have a new arena soon,and it will be possibly nicer and will be twice as large as ours, so your really grasping at straws. What matters is how they staff and how they support they actual teams, and I know you saw the salary discussions over the last week or so here.

When it gets built. But in the meantime it doesn't have the funding.

That's why their basketball team plays in a garage. Their volleyball team plays in a Jr. high gym. The only facility that is really nice is Newman Outdoor Field that was built for their minor league team and not for NDSU in mind. Face it football is king at NDSU just as hockey is king at UND both teams need to work on their side sports but UND is one up on facilities.

Darell you remind me of freshman high school kid that has a bad case of acne and no personality. He wants to hang with the cool kids so he says stupid things to try and impress them. Really sad. The BSA and your Indoor PF are funded by private donations and not the athletic depts.

NDSU will have a new arena soon,and it will be possibly nicer and will be twice as large as ours, so your really grasping at straws. What matters is how they staff and how they support they actual teams, and I know you saw the salary discussions over the last week or so here.

I have my doubts that you are a UND fan. Yes, you may have gone to school there.... doesn't make you a fan.

FU can put lipstick on a pig (BSA), but it doesn't make it nicer. If UND needs to use a larger facility for big games, the Ralph is next door. The Betty works great for most games.

UND supports a lot more sports than FU does. Check out the number of teams for each of the two schools, 16 vs 21.

• Upvote 1

A lot of the MVC fans on their boards bring up consistency in going to the dance from the SU's which since the 2008-09 season has only 1 appearance each.

What year did the two schools become eligible for the tournament?

Really Darrell, everyone realizes you hate the two State schools based on the success both have had since moving up. But your beginning sound like Star2City. Just making statements for the sake of making statements. The reason for one appearance each is that it isn't easy making it to the NCAA tournament from a solid BB conference. Oakland and ORU were both top 50 programs when they took the spot. The Summit may only be a one bid conference right now, but getting that one bid is far from easy. Unlike the Big Sky, which is again looking like a play in game between Weber and Montana; there are usually 3 - 5 teams capable of making a run in the Summit tournament. With Denver coming in next year (another top 100 school) it is going to get even harder.

Really Darrell, everyone realizes you hate the two State schools based on the success both have had since moving up. But your beginning sound like Star2City. Just making statements for the sake of making statements. The reason for one appearance each is that it isn't easy making it to the NCAA tournament from a solid BB conference. Oakland and ORU were both top 50 programs when they took the spot. The Summit may only be a one bid conference right now, but getting that one bid is far from easy. Unlike the Big Sky, which is again looking like a play in game between Weber and Montana; there are usually 3 - 5 teams capable of making a run in the Summit tournament. With Denver coming in next year (another top 100 school) it is going to get even harder.

http://www.mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2830&sid=11fb1305b7c7cf92be1a946913940811

Don't blast me. I am just typing what the MVC fans (some of them at least) are saying about the SU's getting into the MVC which is all over BVille. They think because you guys are in the MVFC you should be an automatic into the MVC, but according to them (MVC fans) it doesn't work. MVC is a basketball conference they don't care about football and they want successful teams into their conference and some of them brought up the dance. NDSU went on their first time eligible and hasn't done jack since. SDSU went their first time last year. So there is the link read up on what your future conference mates are saying about you and NDSU joining their conference.

I have my doubts that you are a UND fan. Yes, you may have gone to school there.... doesn't make you a fan.

FU can put lipstick on a pig (BSA), but it doesn't make it nicer. If UND needs to use a larger facility for big games, the Ralph is next door. The Betty works great for most games.

UND supports a lot more sports than FU does. Check out the number of teams for each of the two schools, 16 vs 21.

When the BSA gets redone we'll have some of the best facilities for FCS schools. 4 outside fb practice fields 2 grass and 2 all weather field turf (full fields), new indoor track facility- great outdoor track, First class baseball stadium, good soccer field, and VB plays in a great venue. Best of all they're all controlled by NDSU. Only fb game days are not totally controlled by NDSU. Maybe you should look at the new plans for the BSA and rethink your lipstick statement. The Betty 3000 seat venue is great for bb games? Hell you averaged more in DII. What happens when you get a really good team and 4000 to 6000 fans want to see it? Maybe it would be better not sponsor so many sports and try to be good at a few.

When the BSA gets redone we'll have some of the best facilities for FCS schools. 4 outside fb practice fields 2 grass and 2 all weather field turf (full fields), new indoor track facility- great outdoor track, First class baseball stadium, good soccer field, and VB plays in a great venue. Best of all they're all controlled by NDSU. Only fb game days are not totally controlled by NDSU. Maybe you should look at the new plans for the BSA and rethink your lipstick statement. The Betty 3000 seat venue is great for bb games? Hell you averaged more in DII. What happens when you get a really good team and 4000 to 6000 fans want to see it? Maybe it would be better not sponsor so many sports and try to be good at a few.

When the BSA gets done, when the BSA gets done. When the BSA gets done....MSU-Moorhead will have DI hockey, UND and NDSU will be in the FBS, and we will be driving flying cars. The MVC looks at the now not the future especially when its not sure where or when that last 2 million will come from.

Isn't a large part of college athletics supposed to be about providing opportunities for students? How does that work when you cut sports? Maybe all athletic departments should cut all sports except the 1 or 2 that they are best at. Is that what you're advocating? NDSU could just keep football, that's the only sport that means anything in Fargo anyway. Right, Dan? Then you wouldn't even need the remodeled BSA. More money you could spend on the football program.

The lipstick on a pig actually came from an FU fan a few years back when it was decided not to add a BB venue onto the Fargodome. Seems the FU faithful didn't like that decision. I happen to agree with them.

Did you know that up until around 2004 Gonzaga played in a 4,000 seat venue and just recently moved into a 6,000 seat facility? That is from a BB school. The Betty is great for most BB games. If a big crowd is expected, the Ralph is fabulous.

More sports allows more student athletes more opportunities. That is a good thing.

The lipstick on a pig actually came from an FU fan a few years back when it was decided not to add a BB venue onto the Fargodome. Seems the FU faithful didn't like that decision. I happen to agree with it.

Did you know that up until around 2004 Gonzaga played in a 4,000 seat venue and just recently moved into a 6,000 seat facility? That is from a BB school. The Betty is great for most BB games. If a big crowd is expected, the Ralph is fabulous.

More sports allows more student athletes more opportunities. That is a good thing.

buttfootball

I know that our friend JohnyBoy - AKA MR. Fact Check would be on this... But, I thought that I might help him out today..

Oakland and ORU were both top 50 programs when they took the spot.

1) Well from 2007 to 2011 they average right around 100 in RPI rankings.

Year - OU RPI - ORU RPI

2007 - 169 - 54

2008 - 122 - 154

2009 - 52 - 126

2010 - 53 - 131

2011 - 141 - 48

Avg. 107 - 102.6

If you want to roll with the years prior to SUs 2006 to 2003 you have averages of ORU 108 and OU 205. I would say a Top 50 program is a bit of an over statement. Don't get me wrong very nice programs but not Top 50..

Unlike the Big Sky, which is again looking like a play in game between Weber and Montana; there are usually 3 - 5 teams capable of making a run in the Summit tournament.

Since, the SUs have been in the SL and using the benchmark of top 100 RPI. The SL has had the following final ranking.

Year - # of Top 100 RPI

2007 - SL - 2 (54, 70) - next closest 169

2008 - SL - 1 (87) - next closest 122 and 142

2009 - SL - 2 (52, 83) - next closest 126

2010 - SL - 1 (53) - next closest 115 and 131

2011 - SL - 2 (42, 48) - next closest 141

It kinda looks like 1/2 teams are heavey favorites going into the tourney.

Best of luck to both SUs this year in the Summit League Tournament. It does look like four teams this year SUs, WIll and OU.

• Upvote 1

After reading all this stuff, here are my thoughts:

1) I am very happy in the Big Sky Conference.

2) I do not care if we ever play FU in football in the regular season again.

3) The Scummit League is a dumping ground for schools that have no better options. FU fans just can't accept that. I wouldn't be able to either if UND was stuck there.

4) The shoe will be on the other foot someday, and FU fans will have to eat all the "kind" words they have had for our rough transition period.

That is all. Back to regularly-scheduled speculation! :)

• Upvote 1

There is rumor of a MSU buyout against NDSU.... :ohmy:

http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=29817&start=20

Re: MSU vs NDSU 2013 rematch

icon_post_target.gifby CPACAT on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:45 pm

Just heard a rumor we are backing out again and are going to play SMU instead.

Heard it third hand and have not been able to verify up the rumor chain.

• Upvote 1

After reading all this stuff, here are my thoughts:

1) I am very happy in the Big Sky Conference.

2) I do not care if we ever play FU in football in the regular season again.

3) The Scummit League is a dumping ground for schools that have no better options. FU fans just can't accept that. I wouldn't be able to either if UND was stuck there.

4) The shoe will be on the other foot someday, and FU fans will have to eat all the "kind" words they have had for our rough transition period.

That is all. Back to regularly-scheduled speculation! :)

Here is what I know.

Happy to be in the MVC and Summit where bus trips are the norm and fans can actually go to away games.

Happy to have big wins over B1G and MAC fb teams and bb wins over #8 Marquette and Wisconson.

Happy to have a fb following second to none in the FCS & sold out home games

FB have back to back NC - with a good chance for three.

Happy to have all are other sports successful with sb going to the sweet 16, bb making the dance, soccer making the NCAA tournment, 8 all americans in track, VB making the NCAA tournment several times.

Here is what I know.

Happy to be in the MVFC and Summit where bus trips are the norm and fans can actually go to away games.

Happy to have big wins over B1G and MAC fb teams and bb wins over #8 Marquette and Wisconson.

Happy to have all are other sports successful with sb going to the sweet 16, bb making the dance, soccer making the NCAA tournment, 8 all americans in track, VB making the NCAA tournment several times.

FIFY.

• Upvote 1

Here is what I know.

Happy to be in the MVC and Summit where bus trips are the norm and fans can actually go to away games.

Just keep dishing it out Bison Dan! The question is, will you be able to take it when the shoe is on the other foot? You might be able to; Lakes Bison and JBB will vanish for awhile.

Wow. Must be in some kind of emotional trauma over posters on other boards. BTW, rather trollish manners of a guest that you attack Darrell. Probably get banned for that kind of crap on your own board.

Do you ever read Jeff Kolpack's blog? He said NDSU isn't even remotely on the MVC list for programs to add. Why don't you go there and have it out with Kolpack? Of course you'll say SDSU exceeds NDSU in desirablity for the MVC. Stick with that and let's see the bizon fans attack you..

Kind of funny that since NDSU and SDSU fans are supposed to be kissing buddies, that you come here and take it out on us. After all, an enemy of NDSU is an enemy to you too. But guess what, most of the posters here don't give a shite about SDSU. And guess what, if either of SDSU or NDSU get an opportunity to get out of the Summit League with a place for football, either of you would take it, "partnership" be damned. In the end, Gene Taylor and bison fans wouldn't give a crap about what happens to SDSU if it means a better place for Taylor and them. Take it to Kolpack's blog and see who the bison fans are for real.

• Upvote 4