SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Ok, I gotta ask....

What the hell is Douple and The Summit League thinking? Regardless of what happened before, it makes ZERO sense for that league to NOT give UND an invite for baseball considering the situation they are in. It makes so much sense for all parties involved. You stabilize an already weak (in numbers) baseball conference by adding a geographically pleasing conference mate in UND. Travel, rivalries, everything makes so much sense for all parties.

My sources say an invite has never been extended to UND for baseball only in the Summit. How is that possible? They have 6 teams in their baseball conference!

Honestly how does a guy like Douple keep his job? They have now let UND and UNC both go elsewhere for baseball conferences.

Didn't they lose their AQ now since UMKC left....Omaha is not a full DI member so they have 5 DI teams in their conference.

Gabe,

We couldn't afford a move to DI at the time NDSU moved up. That is why Kuppy et. al. held their ground. I don't think we were quite ready to do it when we did but our back was finally against the proverbial wall with the complete and utter collapse of the NCC.

ndsu couldn't afford it either.... chapman didn't care

• Upvote 2

read a few posts on other message boards by the artist formerly known as star2city and i can't believe all the rumors about conf realignment!!

let me preface that if and when idaho joins the bsc full time (fb) i think the bsc is the perfect home for und (w/o ndac, usd, and sdsu)...but the one rumor that star2city threw out there was kind of interesting....

the summit implodes with the western schools getting poached by the ovc and horizon and such leaving ndac, usd, sdsu, omaha, and denver....what's left of teh summit takes on teh top of the bsc resulting in...

und

ndsu

usd

sdsu

omaha (non fb)

denver (non fb)

um

msu

idaho

seattle

weber state

sac state/ portland state (whoever complains less about travel??)

he said this probably wouldn't work without having a larger presence in california for recruiting for fb but if sac state wins out would that be enough...

read a few posts on other message boards by the artist formerly known as star2city and i can't believe all the rumors about conf realignment!!

let me preface that if and when idaho joins the bsc full time (fb) i think the bsc is the perfect home for und (w/o ndac, usd, and sdsu)...but the one rumor that star2city threw out there was kind of interesting....

the summit implodes with the western schools getting poached by the ovc and horizon and such leaving ndac, usd, sdsu, omaha, and denver....what's left of teh summit takes on teh top of the bsc resulting in...

und

ndsu

usd

sdsu

omaha (non fb)

denver (non fb)

um

msu

idaho

eastern wa

weber state

he said this probably wouldn't work without having a larger presence in california for recruiting for fb but if sac state wins out would that be enough...

Lakesbison would protest any conference affiliation with UND. He is still trying to convince the MVC fans that NDSU and (sorta) SDSU belong. Bringing up attendance facts from as far back as DII days and 2009 NCAA MM game against KU at the Metrodome. They are not impressed.

When the WAC was still, ... well, ... the WAC*, I said that Idaho and DU should've brokered a deal to bring together the remnants of the WAC at that time (DU, Seattle, Idaho, NMSU) and the northern tier of the Big Sky (UM, MSU, UND, PSU). If that had come to pass it would have been very interesting to teams that could be displaced if the Summit is raided and folds.

*and not whatever it is that it has become today

Ok, I gotta ask....

What the hell is Douple and The Summit League thinking? Regardless of what happened before, it makes ZERO sense for that league to NOT give UND an invite for baseball considering the situation they are in. It makes so much sense for all parties involved. You stabilize an already weak (in numbers) baseball conference by adding a geographically pleasing conference mate in UND. Travel, rivalries, everything makes so much sense for all parties.

My sources say an invite has never been extended to UND for baseball only in the Summit. How is that possible? They have 6 teams in their baseball conference!

Honestly how does a guy like Douple keep his job? They have now let UND and UNC both go elsewhere for baseball conferences.

Agree that the Summit would be a much better fit for baseball for North Dakota (if we must continue to sponsor that sport). But I doubt that UND wants anything to do with the Summit League in any aspect as long as their current commissioner is in place.

And even when you throw out the bad blood between Faison/Kelley and Douple, one has to question the leadership abilities of the Summit commissioner. For example:

• He made false public statements to the media regarding the existence of a policy forbidding league members to schedule UND because of the nickname
  • USD publicy announced intentions to leave the conference before ever playing a game in it
  • They lost the marquee program of the league in Oral Roberts
  • The current defacto marquee program, Oakland, has for years publicly expressed their desire to be in a different conference
  • The oldest remaining member of the league, UMKC, just left to become a member of what is perhaps academically the most hideous conference in all of the NCAA

If my favorite school were a member of this league, I'd be pushing my A.D. and President pretty hard to have this clown removed.

• Upvote 1

Since Douple took over in 2005: Centenary, Chicago State, Oral Roberts, Southern Utah, Valparaiso, and UMKC has left. The only teams to join since 2005: IPFW, UNO, NDSU, SDSU, USD, and DU. At least he has kept the revolving door even. Six SL teams has left for the Horizon...Oakland I am sure cannot wait to be number seven.

Since Douple took over in 2005: Centenary, Chicago State, Oral Roberts, Southern Utah, Valparaiso, and UMKC has left. The only teams to join since 2005: IPFW, UNO, NDSU, SDSU, USD, and DU. At least he has kept the revolving door even. Six SL teams has left for the Horizon...Oakland I am sure cannot wait to be number seven.

I believe Valpo announced their intentions to leave before Douple got hired. Southern Utah is another member, like Oakland, that spent years trying to get out of the Summit/Mid-Con and into the Big Sky. In fact, Douple was the A.D. at SUU prior to taking the commissioners job. He spent years as the SUU A.D. trying to leave the Summit, then as commissioner of the Summit, he worked to push SUU out. It was mutual though, neither wanted the other.

Chicago State was asked to leave because they were such a pathetic program, also before Douple's hiring if I recall correctly. Due to his brilliant leadership, the Summit is now in a position where there is a good chance they will be invited back.

I'll be shocked if Denver spends more than one year in the Summit.

I believe Valpo announced their intentions to leave before Douple got hired. Southern Utah is another member, like Oakland, that spent years trying to get out of the Summit/Mid-Con and into the Big Sky. In fact, Douple was the A.D. at SUU prior to taking the commissioners job. He spent years as the SUU A.D. trying to leave the Summit, then as commissioner of the Summit, he worked to push SUU out. It was mutual though, neither wanted the other.

Chicago State was asked to leave because they were such a pathetic program, also before Douple's hiring if I recall correctly. Due to his brilliant leadership, the Summit is now in a position where there is a good chance they will be invited back.

I'll be shocked if Denver spends more than one year in the Summit.

Your jealousy of the Summit is funny. If they would have invited UND to join you'd have nothing but good to say about it. Denver couldn't wait to get out of the WAC and join. By the way NDSU is the marquee in the Summit and Oakland isn't even close.

Your jealousy of the Summit is funny. If they would have invited UND to join you'd have nothing but good to say about it. Denver couldn't wait to get out of the WAC and join. By the way NDSU is the marquee in the Summit and Oakland isn't even close.

They did invite North Dakota to join, thankfully we turned them down.

• Upvote 1

UND cancelled their meeting with the Summit a couple weeks before it happened. I don't think it was the Summit who didn't want UND.

• Upvote 3

Knew you were slow, but Lord help you. You simply can't comprehend that your beloved Summit is burning down. Wow.

Knew you were slow, but Lord help you. You simply can't comprehend that your beloved Summit is burning down. Wow.

the summit is by any measure a stronger and more competitive league than it was a decade ago. Next year they swap a bottom feeder (UMKC) for a top-100 program (denver). I do find it concerning though from a leadership perspective that two programs have left in the last year for inferior leagues in the wac and southland, although oral roberts move makes sense in that it greatly improved its postseason access and its travel budget.

They did invite North Dakota to join, thankfully we turned them down.

UND cancelled their meeting with the Summit a couple weeks before it happened. I don't think it was the Summit who didn't want UND.

No MVFC invite. No home for football. No one with any self-respect would take the option that leaves their football team without a home when another option allows them to bring them.

Agree that the Summit would be a much better fit for baseball for North Dakota (if we must continue to sponsor that sport). But I doubt that UND wants anything to do with the Summit League in any aspect as long as their current commissioner is in place.

And even when you throw out the bad blood between Faison/Kelley and Douple, one has to question the leadership abilities of the Summit commissioner. For example:

• He made false public statements to the media regarding the existence of a policy forbidding league members to schedule UND because of the nickname
  • USD publicy announced intentions to leave the conference before ever playing a game in it
  • They lost the marquee program of the league in Oral Roberts
  • The current defacto marquee program, Oakland, has for years publicly expressed their desire to be in a different conference
  • The oldest remaining member of the league, UMKC, just left to become a member of what is perhaps academically the most hideous conference in all of the NCAA

If my favorite school were a member of this league, I'd be pushing my A.D. and President pretty hard to have this clown removed.

Even Bresciani has had issues with Douple.

und

ndsu

usd

sdsu

omaha (non fb)

denver (non fb)

um

msu

idaho

seattle

weber state

Replace Sac State/Portland with UCD and Cal Poly(football affiliates) and it looks good. NMSU is another option that would be intriguing.

I was sad when the WAC-4 (Idaho, Denver, Seattle, NMSU) didn't work to grab the northern tier (or east of the Rockies) BSC schools and build from there.

Given that platform (WAC) is no longer viable for such a notion, this is the crazy notion I put in a different forum:

If you're going to go off the rails bat-crap crazy scenarios, why not ...

- Oakland (and IUPUI and IPFW) get swept up when the C7 start the next round of trickle-down conference pilaging (affecing A10, Horizon)

- Omaha announces it's going to the WAC with UMKC

- the MVC takes ORU

- Denver and Idaho broker a new conference of the northern tier BSC schools and the northern remnants of the Summit

It'll be interesting to see who the MVC replaces Creighton with. I would think that Oral Roberts would be the top candidate. If Creighton is their only defection, they could easily replace them with ORU (good fit geographically, basketball and baseball intensive, private school) and their would be little chaos. They could also go to 12 to protect against future unrest by adding Denver and Air Force (although I don't know what the Falcons would do with football) at the same time as ORU. Those would be three good basketball additions to the MVC.

What the A-10 does is going to be the most consequential though.

It'll be interesting to see who the MVC replaces Creighton with. I would think that Oral Roberts would be the top candidate. If Creighton is their only defection, they could easily replace them with ORU (good fit geographically, basketball and baseball intensive, private school) and their would be little chaos. They could also go to 12 to protect against future unrest by adding Denver and Air Force (although I don't know what the Falcons would do with football) at the same time as ORU. Those would be three good basketball additions to the MVC.

What the A-10 does is going to be the most consequential though.

air force wouldn't leave the MWC for the MVC. wyoming and csu are nearby, and the MWC is as strong or stronger. ORU is the most obvious fit for the MVC, and with c-usa imploding, i think they could make a run for tulsa or memphis (both former MVC schools), or even valpo

air force wouldn't leave the MWC for the MVC. wyoming and csu are nearby, and the MWC is as strong or stronger. ORU is the most obvious fit for the MVC, and with c-usa imploding, i think they could make a run for tulsa or memphis (both former MVC schools), or even valpo

You never know these days though.

Air Force exploring conference options

Air Force athletic director Hans Mueh called the WAC and the Missouri Valley about possibly placing all its sports except football in one of the two conferences with the expectation that the football team could be invited to the Big East, according to the WAC and Valley commissioners.

You never know these days though.

Air Force exploring conference options

That article is from 2011, when it seemed like the best of the MWC were leaving for the Big East/Big 12. The conference was losing Boise, SDSU and TCU. Now Boise and SDSU have come begging back. They also added several other schools and the MWC is now a pretty stable conference with room for teams to leave and not have a major impact.

That article is from 2011, when it seemed like the best of the MWC were leaving for the Big East/Big 12. The conference was losing Boise, SDSU and TCU. Now Boise and SDSU have come begging back. They also added several other schools and the MWC is now a pretty stable conference with room for teams to leave and not have a major impact.

This is all true, but as we all know, there is alot of moving and shaking going on right now in college athletics, and there are few conferences that are going to be immune from it.

• Upvote 1