SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

You couldn't be more wrong dan, they are going to play an FBS team, who they will probably lose to. The kicker is much more money....business. Now go run along back to bisonville.

The kicker is a loss to SMU won't hurt as much. A loss to a FCS team hurts in the standings and their position for the playoffs. I wouldn't expect you to understand how the playoffs work but man get up to speed. Go to the griz board they know what they are talking about. Has to do with playoffs, oh the money is nice too but the net is hardly worth the embrassment.

The kicker is a loss to SMU won't hurt as much. A loss to a FCS team hurts in the standings and their position for the playoffs. I wouldn't expect you to understand how the playoffs work but man get up to speed. Go to the griz board they know what they are talking about. Has to do with playoffs, oh the money is nice too but the net is hardly worth the embrassment.

Kinda like how in 2003 facing a FCS team hurts you in the DII playoffs.

• Upvote 1

So how much is SMU paying them? Beings you know what the net is... I haven't heard. You mind sharing?

• Upvote 1

From what your saying it sounds like MSU didn't have much of a decision to make as it was a no brainer. Thanks for pointing out all the reasons.

• Upvote 1

So some thoughts.... Perhaps UMKC moved to the WAC with inside knowledge that the Summit is going collapse. It appears that Creighton will not be leaving the MVC. WashingtonPost

The western conference would consist of Marquette, DePaul, Saint Louis, Xavier, Dayton and Butler. If Butler decides not to leave the Atlantic 10 — which it joined only this season — or if the presidents decide to go with Catholic schools only, the University of Detroit Mercy would come into the picture. Creighton, another Catholic school considered a potential candidate, is considered too far west (Omaha, Neb.) for teams in non-revenue sports to travel.

Now if that happens, there will be no going to the MVC for the xDSUs. Perhaps Taylor's words aimed at the BigSky and the commissioner are not so much a result of MSU backing out, but rather a result of the BigSky turning down NDSU recently...

Who knows... Just some thoughts. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

So some thoughts.... Perhaps UMKC moved to the WAC with inside knowledge that the Summit is going collapse. It appears that Creighton will not be leaving the MVC. WashingtonPost

Now if that happens, there will be no going to the MVC for the xDSUs. Perhaps Taylor's words aimed at the BigSky and the commissioner are not so much a result of MSU backing out, but rather a result of the BigSky turning down NDSU recently...

Who knows... Just some thoughts. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

If Detroit leaves the Horizon doesn't that opens up the spot Oakland wants there?

Big Sky schools should never schedule anything in any sport with NDSU after Gene Taylor's idiotic remarks. Talk about an AD that seems to be stressed out and out of control. In the future before he says anything he should stop and think for a second. He has made some very poor verbal decisions in the last few months.

Was Montana State within the agreed terms of the contract with NDSU? If so, the terms were agreed upon by both parties to the contract. That means NDSU agreed to the terms which Montana State just exercised.

Rather than railing on Montana State, and the Big Sky, maybe Gene Taylor should rail on the person who agreed to the terms and signed the contract for NDSU ... or would that be himself.

Was Montana State within the agreed terms of the contract with NDSU? If so, the terms were agreed upon by both parties to the contract. That means NDSU agreed to the terms which Montana State just exercised.

Rather than railing on Montana State, and the Big Sky, maybe Gene Taylor should rail on the person who agreed to the terms and signed the contract for NDSU ... or would that be himself.

It was a rude thing to do. Would have benefited both schools. A lot of fans were excited about it. Makes MSU look bad.

Schools need to put reasonable escape clauses and substantial punishments into their contracts to discourage this kind of thing, make them ironclad after about November 1st and make the buyout enough to make the school think twice about leaving, $100k might discourage cash-strapped schools but anybody who draws big crowds at home or is considered a decent FBS victim will pay it gladly to get out if something better comes along.

I really think SMU is stinky in this deal too because they could have taken any number of teams who were off that week instead of breaking up a potential matchup of highly ranked FCS schools, but they dangled the carrot and MSU bit so it's on them now.

Watch the interview(Dom posted it), GT never really called out the Big Sky.

But the quote in the Forum made it seem like he did.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/390293/

“I could understand if it were two years ago,” Taylor said. “But in February, that really bothers me. If I’m the commissioner, I don’t know if any of our schools would have done it, but it’s interesting it’s been done twice on us from Big Sky schools.”

But the quote in the Forum made it seem like he did.

http://www.inforum.c...icle/id/390293/

“I could understand if it were two years ago,” Taylor said. “But in February, that really bothers me. If I’m the commissioner, I don’t know if any of our schools would have done it, but it’s interesting it’s been done twice on us from Big Sky schools.”

Maybe I missed, it but who was the second team that bought them out? Or is he pulling SDSU into this about the Montana game?

As stated above, GT signed the contracts and they were fulfilled within the parameters of what was in them. Yes, it would have been a good game, but MSU's AD obviously saw a benefit in doing what he did.

Maybe I missed, it but who was the second team that bought them out? Or is he pulling SDSU into this about the Montana game?

As stated above, GT signed the contracts and they were fulfilled within the parameters of what was in them. Yes, it would have been a good game, but MSU's AD obviously saw a benefit in doing what he did.

He is.

He has every right to be upset. Nothing wrong with calling a school out for backing out on NDSU twice now since '07.

Has Montana St. not suffered enough in the media? Isn't it time Gene calls for the FU fanbase to backoff? :lol:

Gene seems more upset about this than Petiongate.

• Upvote 3

Has Montana St. not suffered enough in the media? Isn't it time Gene calls for the FU fanbase to backoff? :lol:

Gene seems more upset about this than Petiongate.

He is upset that his Bison may actually play a road FCS OOC game. He hasn't seen one of those in 4 years.

I see that article also lists Richmond and Sienna as possible candidates. It says St. Louis, Xavier, Dayton, and Butler are "locks".

So if Oakland bolts...would Denver do a quick 180 back to the WAC or could they seek membership in the Big Sky.

Who knows. My guess is that Denver is coveted enough by both the Summit and WAC that they could afford to wait it out and see what happens to the Summit. If it falls apart, they'd likely be immediately re-admitted to the WAC.

I don't think the Big Sky is going to look at anybody unless they have defections, which seems unlikely right now. Fullerton's #1 priority right now is to get Idaho football into the league with the rest of their sports.

• Upvote 1

So if Oakland bolts...would Denver do a quick 180 back to the WAC or could they seek membership in the Big Sky.

I can't figure out the Denver move in the first place considering they said they knew going in that UMKC was leaving, that's why I thought there was more going on behind the scenes that nobody knew about, but as of now nothing new so...